Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
no_clue

My yard is finally done!!

No-Clue
10 years ago

Well *almost* done. My landscaper ran out of mulch so we still have to finish the side yard.

But here are some photos so you can see how crowded my yard is already... wait until the plumerias leaves fill out... it will be a jungle back there! Plus I need to clear out some room for other fragrant flowers. So my goal is to not keep more than 50 plumerias.

{{gwi:1166860}}
Before landscaping...

{{gwi:1166862}}
Another before photo

{{gwi:1166866}}
After photo... much less dusty! I'm still waiting for my umbrella to come.

{{gwi:1166868}}
I got some circle stepping stones and sort of half buried them in the ground and then I placed my plumerias on top so they are not sitting on the mulch.

{{gwi:1166870}}
My little hide out.

{{gwi:1166872}}
Here's the front - can you see the 3 plumerias to the right? I got Charlotte Ebert, Samoan Fluff and Intense Rainbow to the right.

{{gwi:1166874}}
Cyndi Moragne to the left is just starting to wake up. Can you spot her?

Comments (26)

• disneyhorse
    10 years ago

What a dramatic before and after! Looks great!

• houstontexas123
    10 years ago

wow, looks great!

• John Perilloux
    10 years ago

Looks great, No-Clue. You got room for 50 Volkswagens back there?

• rox146
    10 years ago

so , No Clue....where are you? You need to come to our luau in Ventura in August....we will compare volkswagons... :-) roxanne

• No-Clue
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Haha as you can see I don't have room for 50 but I don't think I can cut anymore! I think as soon as they get too big I will swap them out.

Roxanne what luau? Tell me more.

• rox146
    10 years ago

I have tried to start a group of enthusiasts in the Ventura County area....sooooo, once a year in August I have a "luau" so plumie people can come and share talk/beverage etc. I do it during the day so you can smell the plumeria as the sun warms them. Our whippets join in and wear leis. If you are interested, I can give you the details. roxanne

• moonie_57 (8 NC)
    10 years ago

Lynn - I just love it! Are you just swelling with pride? :)

Your front yard is spectacular. You'll have to post more pics as all the plumies begin to bloom.

Love your color scheme for your patio furniture!

• mksmth zone 7a Tulsa Oklahoma
    10 years ago

Your place looks wonderful! I think you got more room LOL.

Mike

• PRO
    the_first_kms2
    10 years ago

Congratulations...so much better than the apartment balcony.

Why do you use stepping stones to keep the plants out of the mulch? I am just the opposite in my approach. i try to get as much ground soil to container soil contact as possible. IMO it helps the containers to drain better by the ground soil pulling out any potential standing water from the container. Plus roots will often spread into the ground soil.

• No-Clue
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you Rozanne please keep me posted.

Mona - I am proud because I came up with the design. The landscaper/designer made a few renderings but they all started to look so similar to all my neighbors'. I like mine to reflect our taste/style and our love for fragrant flowers. Took a while for me to get it just right. It was either going to be the laughing stock of the neighborhood or a hit. Turned out everyone love the simplicity of our yard. I am waiting for the orange umbrella to tie in all my patio furnitures and maybe a TV to go above the fire place. We shall see. But it sure was a labor of love. Now that it's done I can be here more often.

Mike - I need a little room for some other fragrant plants like jasmines, gardenias, etc. besides I still have more plumerias at my friend's place I have yet to pick up. Plus I got my eyes on a few JL and JJ' new varieties, that's why I will be selling about 20 just to get a few I am lusting after like JL Hawaiian Fire.

Kms2 - I just assumed it was better that way. I thought setting them on top of soil would cause them to have wet and cold feet. Where as the sun dries out an warms up the stones a lot faster. But I have no idea if my logic makes any sense. Just making it up as I go. Lol.

• rox146
    10 years ago

no clue...the date is August 24th....1:oo so people can smell the flowers. Need to come hungry and thirsty. roxanne

• Kimo
    10 years ago

Lynn,
    Looking good!! I see a lot of area where you could get gorgeous pots and put plumies in them, like by your special area.
    Congrats on the beautiful yard and house...

Cheers

• No-Clue
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Take me shopping James. Let me know when you are in the area. We need to catch up!

• tdogdad
    10 years ago

LYNN - The new house and yard look great. What I want to know is who has the hill behind the house. Looks like a good place for larger plumies. Plumies love south facing hills.Bill

• chuy415
    10 years ago

Very nice landscaping!! Looks like ladera ranch to me..
    I could be wrong though. I'm jealous! But happy for you.

Chuy

• No-Clue
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Bill - behind the house is the community property. I could pull the stunt that my neighbor across the street did. He didn't like the gap and was sick of waiting for the HOA to do something so one night he put on all black clothes, hopped the fence and planted a tree. I still have to go investigate what he planted since he did it way before we moved in. Lol. Now if I did that everyone will know it's me! Haha.

Chuy - there are no new homes being built in Ladera Ranch. So nope. :). And no you shouldn't be jealous of my amatuer design. I was so scared people could tell it was not a professional design and I would be the laughing stock of the street. But in the end I am glad I went with what I like to accommodate all my babies.

• jandey1
    10 years ago

Beautiful patio, Lynn! Your family must be thrilled to be moved into their permanent home. The plumies will add a lot of shade and screening when they're grown. Just remember to give each some room to spread out so they're not competing too much for sunlight.

• elucas101
    10 years ago

Just beautiful, congrats!!!

• mimalf
    10 years ago

Lovely! Everything, your backyard, your plumies, front yard, house, all. Thanks for sharing!

• nativec
    10 years ago

Looks lovely!! Congrats! In my humble opinion I can see lots of potential for many more plumies! :)

-Nicole

• spiroan
    10 years ago

WOW, No-Clue! What a great spot to sit and enjoy your plumerias. Great yard!

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    10 years ago

Hi Lynn!

Everything's looks wonderful

Enjoy your beautiful home!!!

Laura!

• Robert (zone 7a, Oklahoma)
    10 years ago

It looks beautiful! Your yard will be smelling heavenly in no time! :)

-Robert

• PRO
    the_first_kms2
    10 years ago

Lynn,
    Maybe the stepping stones make sense in your climate especially if you are close to the coast. Again, great job and congrats.

• chuy415
    10 years ago

It's a very nice and beautiful design regardless!!
    Great job!! Enjoy ;)

Chuy

• printmaster1 (DFW TX)
    10 years ago

Nice job Lynn!!!
    Lonnie