Return to the Plumeria Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Question about cuttings

Posted by rwmcdaniel (My Page) on
Sun, May 16, 10 at 18:23

I would like to take some cuttings from my plumeria but I'm not sure if it's a good time to do this or not. It has a main trunk with 4 branches ranging in length from 9" to about 30". Two of the branches have large leaves and two have new leaves that are only a few inches long. Can you get cuttings at any time or is there an ideal time to do it? Do you have to get them before the leaves appear or does it matter? Also, can you make several cuttings from a single branch? Any help is appreciated. Thanks...

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Question about cuttings

You can cut anytime but starting is best in late spring and summer. I prefer to cut in March/April and then plant soon thereafter. Leaves remove moisture from the plant which if it has no roots yet will wrinkle from the water loss. Very small leaves seem to be ok but I tend to remove all so that energy is concentrated on the roots. You can make several cuttings from one branch but they should be more than a 15 inches unless you are grafting them. Middle cuts take longer to root and often will not flower the first season, but they grow well in the long run. Make sure the leave scars are smiling and not frowning (planted upside down).

o
RE: Question about cuttings

thanks for the reply. I will try removing the leaves. I appreciate your help and will let you know how it all works out...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumeria Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here