Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
woman_of_paradise

Need help identifying plumeria problem

Woman_of_Paradise
11 years ago

Hi all;

You helped me immensely last time my beloved plumeria got sick- a year ago spider mites attacked and thanks to you all, we recovered! Well, it's sick again and seemingly with a new problem. Can anyone help me identify? Only the oldest leaves, and one at a time are being affected. If I remove the affected leaf, the next day the next oldest leaf goes. The leaves are turning yellowish and the texture is changing, but mostly I'm noticing large black spots. I've looked online at a variety of pics, but none of them seem to be what I'm looking at. Any suggestions? The leaves seem to yellow just a bit before getting the spots, so I'll admit right off the bat I panicked and used the pesticide I used to get rid of the spidermites twice over a couple days, then I watched it like a hawk. The leaf loss continued, and no signs of spidermites. It's getting a lot of filtered sun and the location in the house hasn't changed. We keep a pretty consistent temperature in the house. Does anyone have any idea what could be causing my leaf loss? If the leaf falls naturally, it ends up quite a bit more yellow than in the photo, but out of fear that it might be a fungus or something I've been plucking the leaves off when they start looking bad, sealing them and taking them away.

Here is a link that might be useful: Photos of the problem

Comments (10)

• PRO
    the_first_kms2
    11 years ago

W.O.Paradise,
    What do the new leaves and branch tips look like? Any chance you can take a picture of the tips and the branches. I think that may help more.

• Dave in NoVA • N. Virginia • zone 7A
    11 years ago

I think once you get your plumeria acclimated to outside light and temperatures, it will grow normally again. You are putting it outside, right?

• lisa0611
    10 years ago

I have had this plumeria for eight years. The leaves are no longer a brilliant green and healthy looking as they were two months ago. They have rusty brown spots and solid brown areas on the leaves and the leaves are turning yellowish green. The two other plumerias I have on either side are also starting to look the same. They are all in pots on my back porch. I have never had anything like this before. Does anyone know what this is and what I need to do to fix it?

• kaktuskris
    10 years ago

Isn't it sunburn?

Christopher

• lisa0611
    10 years ago

Thank you Christopher for responding. I have never had a problem before. I am not sure. It could be, we put them on the pool deck why we painted the patio. The other leaves look different. Could it be an over watering issue?A lot of rain blows in on the porch.

• kaktuskris
    10 years ago

Just wondering if the sunlight reflecting on the water intensified
    the brightness, the way it is easier to get a sunburn when you are in a pool with the sunlight reflecting on the water...Anyway, sure looks like the sunburn I have seen on some of my plants I hastily put out in full sun...

Christopher

• elucas101
    10 years ago

Hello! I agree, in the initial inspection of the photo it appears to be burn of some kind. That could be sunlight reflecting and/ or pesticide - especially with 2 applications back to back, hard to say. BUT, what you should be most concerned with are how the new leaves look, more so than the old.

It is natural for your leaves to yellow and fall off, especially the oldest ones. But if you feel it's doing it at an alarming rate, then I would say it could be too much water. (or if you saw the new ones yellowing or falling) I notice you have saucers under your pots too, that will hold excess water you don't want. The soil in the little seedling looks very wet - had you just watered?

Don't be afraid to check your soil, check your roots. Is your plant root bound? Is your soil well draining? What are your temps like right now?

At this point it's hard to say too much or not enough water, but you can find out quickly by checking your soil. Your leaves are a tad drooped , so I would say not enough, and your leaves look really good other then the droop & the burn spots. The temporary move could be a big factor like the others have mentioned. Check them out & let us know & we can go from there!

• PRO
    the_first_kms2
    10 years ago

Sunburn. Your container may be getting too hot as well.

• mimalf
    10 years ago

I got the same black-spots problem. This plumeria was attacked very badly by spider mites last month, was sprayed with Spectracide after trying Neem oil. Then, new leaves came out very healthy. Only a few weeks and leaves started again to yellow and fall. So I got the advice to spray it again, which I did. I also noticed a leaf that had 2 black spots, very small in the beginning, but in a few days they were all over that leaf. I removed and discarded that leaf. This morning, another leaf started to show small black spots. What could it be? Please, I really need some help with this.

Thank you in advance for any input.

Mima

• lisa0611
    10 years ago

Thank you everyone for your help and suggestions with my plumerias. I greatly appreciate it. I will update you the progress of their condition. :)