Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mike69o

JJ Plumerias Help

I just got some from Lowe's (Phoenix suburb) and I need some tips and info on how to take care of them. Looks like they have buds. Should I change to a bigger pot or should I wait. Also any water requirements, fertilizer info would be much appreciated. Do they like Sun, partial, shade?

Thanks
Michael

Comments (5)

• daogirl - SoCal Zone 9
    9 years ago

Hi Mike!

I would not repot unless there's a dire need to -- you don't want to disturb them. Make sure they are stable, though, if they are loose in the soil - pack it down a little, maybe stake the plant if needed. You can repot next spring before they wake up.

Partial/filtered sun is good, especially if it's really hot. From there, you can slowly move them into brighter and brighter spots as needed. You might Google this forum for the specific kinds that you bought - some plants will tolerate more sun than others. They do want *some* sun, in general - you just don't want to bake them. If you see leaves getting brown burned spots, looking wilted, or the trunks getting weird brown patches on them (aka sunburn), you've probably got them in too strong sun too soon.

Watering will depend on your climate/temps ... if the planting medium is well-draining, you have a little more flexibility. I tend to drench my plants about once a week in the summer, making sure the top few inches of soil dries out before watering again. If the stems/trunks get wrinkly, and the plant looks a little droopy, you're probably not watering enough. That said, some JJ plants get wrinkly stems (ahem, Divine) for no discernible reason whatsoever, and it doesn't seem to affect them at all. Just remember that plumeria hate wet feet, so better to err on the side of leaving them too dry than too wet.

Fertilizer ... ah, you'll get lots of info on this if you search this forum. :)

Overall words of wisdom (passed down from forum members wiser than me) - when in doubt, leave them alone! Plumeria are pretty tolerant and hardy in general.

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    9 years ago

Mike !!

Great score!!!

I would leave them in the containers as is... Let them acclimate to your area . ( keep from full sun for a week or so and then gradually let them see more sun.) Water wet / dry cycle. I see you are in AZ. It's hot.. So I'm sure they will love the water.. Some people think they have issuers with watering to much in summer. As long as they are not sitting in a saucer and getting the roots wet, they should be fine. Use a water meter. ( cheap one). Or a wooden skewer if you aren't sure if the are dry. This will help. Also, just lift the pot. You will feel how heavy it is after you water.. Then you will feel how light when dry. Water... Then let dry and water again....

I water almost everyday or every other day when I'm home in the summer.

They love sun, but be careful of that strong Az sun. Maybe give more morning to midday.. And see how they do. I wouldn't give them full sun all day in your temps.. That's just me.

Wait until they get root bound in a year or so, then repot.

fertilizers.. Lol.. Many opinions.. Lol.. I personally use Foliage Pro. NPK of 9-3-6. Some like organic fertilizers... Some like bloom boosters, some don't. . Some like Dr earth.. That's good too.. It's a personal choice with many here that have their own ways of growing.. So do some research and see what you like...

Good luck and congratulations on finding some with blooms!! Whoo. Hoo!!!

Take care,

Laura

• rox146
    9 years ago

ALL GREAT ADVICE!!!! roxanne

• Michael O (USDA Z9 San Tan Valley AZ)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for all the help.

I do have a sun shade over part of the patio, so I think it will be good. It gets filtered sun blocks like 90% of UV.
    I will keep them in the existing pots till next spring.
    Also I do use FP on other plans I have so I guess that should be good for them also.

Again, thanks for all the help
    Michael

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    9 years ago

Crossed post Daogirl.. Lol. Didn't see your post.. Great advise!!! ;-)

Sounds great, Mike!!!

Enjoy!!!

Laura

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting