Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tikimoai

Largest Bloom?

tikimoai
15 years ago

Question for you all. What type(s) of plumeria produce(s) the largest individual flowers? I have found many different answers in many different places. What do you all think?

Comments (22)

• pharoah
    15 years ago

The largest I have personally seen is Daisy Wilcox at 5", but near the coastal areas she can get even larger. Aztec Gold and Jeannie Moragne have hit 41/2" for me.

I have a Thai variety named "Pretty Princess" that supposedly is the largest, with flowers sometimes reaching 10", but it has yet to bloom for me.

Tony

• tdogdad
    15 years ago

Gloria Wilcox, My Valentine, Engelwood, Moragne #23 & #27. Bill

• tdogdad
    15 years ago

That was Daisy Wilcox.

• Kimo
    15 years ago

Hey TikiM,
    the question is subjective to where you live.
    As Tony so accurately stated if you live by the coast or Ocean in So Cal your flower get huge, even ones that typically do not, but the blossoms will sacrifice color...more subtle.

My babies are in Costal So cal during the growing season.
    I have friends in the inland empire and they get tremendous color but flowers that are 1/2 the size of mine.
    The huge blossoms I get are Daisy Wilcox, Tropic world, My Valentine, Morange 93 (was like 6" last season), Leos Candy stripe, Hawaiian Flag, Thai Big Red 5" plus flowers even in the inland empire, thai peach, Goldmine, My Metallica was large also, Grove Farm can get about 4 1/2".
    Now if you want long petaled flowers that can go 5" or more but curl so they look more compact than there is ACW, SCP, Flower Basket, Puu kahea can be long mine curls.

Here is a pic fo Daisy, this pic was taken like 3 yrs ago or so and was in inflo on a newly rooted cutting. I also have big, huge inflos from old plants but you get the best persepctive as to who huge DW is when there are less flowers to distract you. Compare flowrs to the size of my hand, I have big hands and am 6'2'' tall so this should tell you flower size..lol

• tdogdad
    15 years ago

As usual, "Freak4" gives you excellent information. However it fails to come with a warning that "the following recommended flowers may be so frickin' rare and hard to find that you might go insane trying to find them." Also "the following list may include flowers you have never heard of nor will ever see." Actually, I am totally jealous of his great collection which at one time topped 400 varieties. His comments on size and color I have noticed also. I include a picture of a common white 2", a half inch dime, and a Daisy. I once had a bloom on this plant at 7" which is like a paper plate. Bill
    {{gwi:1167735}}

• tikimoai
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks to you all! Just purchased a Metallica and a San Miguel. We are coastal (Huntington Beach). Maybe we'll get lucky this year. Thanks again, Kim

• Kimo
    15 years ago

Hey TDOG aka Bill,
    LOL..Actually some of the Thai Plumies I listed can be purchased from Jungle Jack in Vista, CA., also on Ebay since he sells there also.
    Thai Peac, Thai Big Red, etc are all huge, profuse bloomers.

I would take a day to go South and visit Siam Plumera/Aloha Tropicals aka Andy and Jungle Jack since there are 10 min from each other.
    Bill sometimes I get plants from Sonia from the Society, she has some great stuff Domestic and Imported.

• Kimo
    15 years ago

Oh I forgot 2 seasons ago my Samoan Fluff blew up with like 5" flowers, usually the around 4" or slightly under.
    Here is a pic of my Samoan F and another full inflo of DW

{{gwi:1167736}}

SF
    {{gwi:1167737}}

• tdogdad
    15 years ago

That is one monster Fluff. Mine is 7 years old and is half that size. Are you planting on old drug fields? And what is Leo's Candy Stripe? Bill

• Kimo
    15 years ago

Hey Mr. Bill,
    My Samoan fluff is old, I got it as a large 3 foot cutting in the mid 80's. I keep it like a Bonsai plant I root prune and put it back in the same 20 gal pot.
    I have also over the years chopped it up, severely pruned it back to keep it more compact, it is about 4' tall with about 100 plus tips right now. I will take a pic of the whole plant in the pot this year.

Oh, Leos Candy stripe is a BEAUTIFUL huge rainbow, it looks like a cross between Hawaiian Flag and Theresa Wilder. The color is more similar to Theresa Wilder with LOOONNNGGG curly peatals. Let me see if I can find a pic of it.
    Bret Morgan and his Girl Friend Kandi were selling them on their website. The plant is named after the owner of the tree where all the cuttings have come from in the Inland Empire. I was soooo thrilled to get one as a FREE present from Sonia from the Society. There are several people in the IE that are friends with Leo that have access to the cuttings and plants. I will post a pic when I find it.

• Kimo
    15 years ago

Found a pic of Leos Candy Stripe. It is Kandi's pic at WWW.Socalplumeria.com
    The pic is of a mature flower, fully opened. If you see a newly opened flower in a hot climate like the I.E. the bloom is more like Theresa Wilder flower than when it is fully mature and opened it looks like the pic. PS this flower is huge very long when you uncurl the petals over 6"/7"

• Kimo
    15 years ago

Oh Bill,

Actually regarding the old drug field...lol
    I think it is current one, Plumies are my drug and addiction and I am planting them on my property it must be a drug field.
    I get my high/buzz every growing season when there are blooms or when I get a new rare plumie.
    So you were half right..lol It is my drug field..lol

• tdogdad
    15 years ago

Thanks for the pic of Leo's - looks like a bigger model of my Puu Kahea with a little more curl. Very nice. Bill

• Kimo
    15 years ago

Hey BIll,
    Here is a comparison pic by pic:

Puu Kahea
    {{gwi:1167739}}

Leos Candystripe:

• kaz171
    15 years ago

J,
    Is the leo's just another aka for Firestorm/Som Raya.
    I saw that kandi had one at the aloha expo this past weekend for like $25 or something (rooted), but i figured they were the same so i didn't bite. if they aren't i might have to call her and bret! - haha

• Kimo
    15 years ago

Hey Kaz,
    No its different, totally different.
    Kax ask Sonia aka Aamarons mom on MPG, she has pics in its different blooming state and she has Som Raya and Firestorm.
    I have Som Raya and they are totally different.
    Kandis price is also very good for the plant, plus I heard she is very sweet and honest..formula for a good seller.
    You can also ask Sonia if she has any for sell, the one she gifted me was huge 3'tall with 9 tips and each tip right now has an inflo on it, I dont know what size Kandi had.

Good luck Kaz

• kaz171
    15 years ago

hmmmnnn....guess I really don't know what I got then, cuz i got this one from florida couple yrs ago, finally bloomed last year and id was firestorm/som raya by the enabler. looks alot like Leo's candy to me...

whatever it is - i love it!

{{gwi:1167745}}

• Kimo
    15 years ago

WOW...Looksl like Hawaiian Flag..lol
    Actually the thing with Hawaiian Flag and Leos C is the size of the blooms..>HHHHUUUGGGEEEE with you roll the curl out.
    My Som Raya bloomed once for me I got it from Thailand, it was small than my Hawaiian flag or Leos.

Kaz since Sonia has all of them and is one of the best people I have run accross for ID'ng Plumies send her your pic and ask her if she call tell you wasssup?
    How lareg were those Som Raya blossoms when u uncurled them?

Let me know wasssup?

• Kimo
    15 years ago

Hey Kaz,
    I spoke to couple people and supposedly "Som Raya" and "Firestorm" are the same, even Lopaka has it labeled as AKA Firestorm.

Here is LOPAKAs pic, he takes the best pics and has the ultimate collection..also sells on ebay.
    Som Raya aka Firestorm

Hawaiian Flag from Sonia

Remember that Lopaka is in South Florida where it is hot hot hot and humid so more intense colors.

Good Luck.
    Oh you may want to talk to Hetty as I think she has all 3 plumies: Hawaiian Flag, Som Raya and I believe she also has a Leos Candy strip she may have gotten via Yolanda or wendy in the IE.

• kaz171
    15 years ago

....and the plot thickens. Hetty was the one that actually gave me that one and ID'd it as firestorm when I showed her the pic! - haha - from looking at all the pics I'd say it looks like Leo's the most, but I guess I won't know until i get a Hwn flag and Som Raya/Firestorm and grow em side by side (yeah right!)

• kaz171
    15 years ago

...oh yeah, and I agree with you on Lopaka's pics - always no ka oi...and the bestest collection - actually sent me a couple earlier this year!

• Kimo
    15 years ago

Hey Kaz,
    Again I am pretty sure Hetty has all 3 plants, maybe she accidentally gave you a branch off of Leos.
    Either way it was sweet you got something from her.
    Actually if I recall my plumie history Hetty was friends with Ekarat on MPG and she was the one who first introduced Firestorm. Than there was some kind of turmoil and Ekarat disappeared and I believe Brad started to sell Som Raya, or someone on MPG was ..Don't quote me...lol

Either way like I said it was nice and also generous of Hetty to give you something so beautiful either way..you totally scored bro.
    Also for reals ask Sonia about your pic as she has all 3, thank god I didnt buy a Firestorm since I already have Som Raya and they are the same..lol

Thanks