Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tropic_7

Kimo Seed pod opens today!

Tropic_7
11 years ago

I heard of folks using strawberry containers? I don't know what those are?

I'm thinking of using small Styrofoam Coffee cups with a seed in each one? Any one try this? Seems to be the most economical and I've used the cups for growing coffee arabica with good results. What's your thoughts?

Comments (10)

• stormys_mom
    11 years ago

Oh wow Stuart thats great. The strawberry containers are plastic containers from the grocery store that you buy strawberries in. Also salad bar containers could be used. Its basically plastic with a lid and it already has holes in it. That plumie is gorgeous!!!!!! I am green with envy :)

Jackie

• Tropic_7
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Jackie, this make sense now! LOL it's been a while since I've purchased strawberries in the store.
    If the seeds fall out of the pod, how soon can I plant them or do they need to dry for a short time?
    The last ones I planted I picked up off the ground and they germinated. This Kimo was in sight for a while and I caught it just in time before it opened fully. I didn't want to miss a seed LOL.
    Thank you for the wonderful comments, Stuart

• Minderella
    11 years ago

Congradulations. Good luck with your seeds

• stormys_mom
    11 years ago

I am not real experienced yet lol. But everything I have heard says the fresher the seed the better. I have seeds from a mardi gras potted up now. I soaked them first overnight inbetween 2 paper towels that were moistened with distilled water a splash of peroxide and a drop of super thrive. After 24 hrs, I potted them up in a cactus soil mix that was mioistened with the remaining distilled mixture water. They have been on a heat mat and under a light since. It has only been 2 days so nothing hapening yet. Hopefully some one more experienced with starting seeds will chime in. Wishing you good luck!!!

Jackie

• Tropic_7
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Jackie, what temp does the Heat Mat sustain?
    I'm sure the heat "wakes them up". I just walked outside and it's 82 degrees, buggy & balmy at 9:30PM
    I want to find some "Super Thrive" I've never used it, but hear it's good stuff?
    Stuart

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    11 years ago

Great looking seeds Stuart!!!

Good Luck!!!

Laura

• jandey1
    11 years ago

Stuart, I've seen your yard--you won't need a heat mat, lol! Just leave them outside and keep the soil moist and they should germinate within ten days in your climate.

The seeds should be ready to go when the pod opens. I found the strawberry containers to be too small--the seeds took off and grew like crazy for me--so I used a large pre-washed salad container with a few holes cut in the bottom. They're about 5" deep by 6" wide and 10" long, perfect for 6-8 seeds per container. You can't believe how quickly the seedlings' root will fill up that space! The advantage over small individual cups is just ease of moving and keeping varieties separated.

Jackie, sounds like you're on your way to a tiny forest of plumerias--great job! You should be able to put yours outside soon, too, in your area. You'll love Mardi Gras. Mine are all very thick seedlings, about 18mos. old now, and showing promise as good container plumerias, i.e., not too tall. Now I just have to wait the next one to three years to see blooms!

Jen

• elucas101
    11 years ago

That Kimo bloom is GORGEOUS!!! Such deep, rich colors

• Tropic_7
    Original Author
    11 years ago

elucas,
    I just got home from work and I need to go see, this morning only one pod was still open the other still closed. I counted 19 seeds from the one, so I'd say close to 40 seeds.
    These where pollinated naturally ( sphinx moth ) perhaps, thay are known to visit every open flower at night. So I could have some exotic hybrids in the mix?? I have about 35 different plumeria growing in the yard and several containers.
    Thanks Stuart

• Kimo
    11 years ago

You can try the wet paper towel method of propagating the seeds.. When I used this method Id see them sprout in 5 days.
    Good Luck

Sponsored
Preferred General Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Fairfax County's Specialized, Comprehensive Renovations Firm