Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mbb5815

Newbie, need help- Plumria leaves dark spot

mbb5815
10 years ago

Hello,
I'm new with Plumria, and desperately need help. A friend moved overseas and I happily adopted the potted mature plant - 21 yrs old. I got it mid November (we live in Boston), broke a few branches moving it, got it indoors and pretty soon the leaves fell off for winter. At the time I did notice dark spots on the leaves when they fell.
The new leaves has started, got 3 full ones, and a few baby ones (an inch or so long). The baby ones are looking healthy, the big ones all show dark spots, (please see pics). seems the older the leave, the more dark spots. No spots on underside of leaves. I just put them out on the deck a few days ago. I googled all over, don't seem to get answers how to treat these. I treaure this plant, don't want to damage it... It's in a full sun deck, too much sun?
Thank you so much...

Comments (10)

• mksmth zone 7a Tulsa Oklahoma
    10 years ago

The older leaves were more used to the lower winter light and can do that. The younger ones will be more adapted. Mine do it when I bring them out of the greenhouse. You're doing good, its just adjusting. Be careful with watering until you have new full leaves.

Mike

• mbb5815
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Mike,
    Thank you so much. Do you advise not too much water until full leaves? e.g., an inch or so a week? Appreciated!
    Mary

• elucas101
    10 years ago

Since the plant is well established I would say just let the soil dry out in between waterings like normal. Keep it in the most sun you can give it unless you see signs of sunburn. Congrats on your new plant, it's awesome to get one that mature! Please keep us updated!

• mbb5815
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you so much for your advise. I will sure keep you posted.

• mbb5815
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you again for all who has replied. This is a follow-up: the baby leaves became not too healthy looking, pic shown - leave about 3.5 inch with spots. I just moved the pot from the scorching full sun area to a north-facing with morning sun just in case. Does the baby leave signal too much sun? not enough water? or else? This is my 1st yr seeing new leaves grow, not sure what to expect. Thank you so much

• John Perilloux
    10 years ago

Looking at that yellow leaf my guess would be too much water rather than not enough.

• elucas101
    10 years ago

I agree,I would test the soil for moisture - is your soil really well draining? if your soil stays too wet the plant doesn't like that. Sometimes the soil seems dry near the top but is still really wet towards the bottom. Regular potting soil mixed with perlite is a good mix in case you just have straight potting soil in there. It is recommended to let the soil get fairly dry before watering again.

• mbb5815
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you for both of your. I have not touched the soil yet after adopting the plant in the Fall, it is in a big clay pot (13inDia 12inHt) on a clay saucer on a plant wheeler. I did water quite a bit last week afraid of not enough water. I do not see water coming out of the clay saucer though. Any suggestion how to test the moisture of the soil? Sorry I'm such a newbie.

• elucas101
    10 years ago

Hey, no problem at all, we all learn from each other! First thing to do is ditch the saucer. That impedes the drainage. make sure the pot itself has adequate drainage too.

A good way to test is a chopstick or something similiar - stick it down in the soil like a dipstick and see whether it's wet or not. If you don't have anything to test it with you can even just dig a little bit with your fingers.

Just hold back on watering for several days at least, maybe more, depending on the heat / sun you're getting. I would move the plant back in to full sun to help it dry out.

When you have a chance I would buy a bag of regular Miracle Grow potting soil and a bag of perlite. Mix the perlite and the potting soil together with a ratio of somewhere around 30 - 50% perlite. That way the soil will drain really well and you don't have to worry as much about over watering. Also, take a look at the plant's roots - see if it is rootbound in that pot and if so, when you buy new soil get a bigger pot. It doesn't have to be anything fancy - at Lowe's they sell 'grower's pots' that are relatively cheap, or reuse one you have on hand. They have a lot of drainage holes in them too.

The plant will recover if it is allowed to dry out and then given good drainage. The two main things you can do wrong to a plumeria are let it get too cold and / or let it stay too wet. Good luck and let us know if you have more questions!

• mbb5815
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you so much for the super instructions. I removed the glazed saucer, the pot sits on ventilated wheeler now. I did a bamboo chopstick test, the soil feels very compact, had to push hard to get it all the way down. soil is deeper than chopstick, the chopstick comes out with color being darker on the bottom, but not wet, so hopefully it has dried out a bit in the past few days. it is a very heavy plant (21 yo), need two people to move it, I will try repot it when I can. Forecast is rainy in the next few days, right now it is at an overhang area not exposed to rain. When the rain is over, I will move it back to full sun deck, thank you again for all your help.