Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
plumienewbie2

How to help plumeria out of transplant shock?

plumienewbie2
10 years ago

Please help! :( I'm afraid I might lose my plumeria. I transplanted them 3 days ago, when it had been hot and sunny for a long time. But the night after I replanted them, it stormed. The last few days have been cold and rainy off and on, and I always seem to bring them out when I think it'll b nice, and then after I leave it'll start raining. Lately it's been in the 60's and 70's and the day goes from sunny to rainy on an off, literally all day. I brought them inside today because the weather says that it'll get down to 40 tonight!

But of course I hadn't thought about how my plumies would take the temperature being in new pots, especially since i noticed a few roots accidentally broke off of the one that's doing badly. My one is doing okay; a little droopy but otherwise fine. But the other is very droopy and just looking very sickly. I had to zip-tie the two branches together because one wants to droop down considerably.

I don't know what to do for them because of this terrible weather we've been having! Help?

Comments (13)

• mksmth zone 7a Tulsa Oklahoma
    10 years ago

I wouldn't say they are a goner yet but I would not let it get wet until the soil dries out and then sparingly until it recovers. Get it outside as much as you can in good sun. Pictures will help us figure out a good remedy.

Mike

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    10 years ago

Bottom heat for now until you can get them in the sun and on warm concrete.. This may help as well. Seedling heat mats work great.

Keep up the good work and like Mike says, don't give up.

Good idea to stake the stem to keep it from moving around, especially if you are moving them back and forth.

Keep them in a sunny window for now and keep the container warm if you can.

Once the temps warm up and you put them back outside, keep them out of direct sun for 7-10 days to acclimate them after you repotted them. You say roots were broken too?

Pictures?

Good Luck!!

Laura

• tdogdad
    10 years ago

I always use Superthrive and Seaweed extract or B-1 in water when transplanting. This usually stems the shock. An established plant should not have a problem with rain and reasonable temperature changes. Going from inside to out if already leafed out can shock a plant because the amount of sun is so much increased so filtered sun at first is preferred. Superthrive and water should help and let it dry out for several days. Shock can be a hard one to stop after too long. Good luck.

10 years ago

Here's a fun fact. Unless something recent has change super thrive is illegal in oklahoma

Mike

• tdogdad
    10 years ago

would like to know why, Mike. I have used it for years and find it works really well.

• DelWH
    10 years ago

Bill, here's your answer, from Wikipedia on Superthrive:

The hormone 1-Naphthyl acetic acid (NAA) does not occur naturally. Under the Federal Insecticide, Fungicide, and Rodenticide Act (FIFRA), products containing NAA require registration with the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) as pesticides. The sale of Superthrive is prohibited in Oklahoma, Minnesota, and Oregon as an unregistered pesticide.

This post was edited by DelWH on Sun, May 26, 13 at 1:51

• DelWH
    10 years ago

Interesting that Superthrive contains NAA, which is the active ingredient of most rooting compounds, like Rootone, etc. Along with vitamin B1, I guess that's it's secret.

• Kenny
    10 years ago

Mike,

According to wikipedia: "The hormone 1-Naphthyl acetic acid (NAA) does not occur naturally. Under the Federal Insecticide, Fungicide, and Rodenticide Act (FIFRA), products containing NAA require registration with the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) as pesticides. The sale of Superthrive is prohibited in Oklahoma, Minnesota, and Oregon as an unregistered pesticide."

So if you buy it online as a "fertilizer," what do they have to say to that? :)

Kenny

• DelWH
    10 years ago

I would think you could order it from Amazon and they would send it with no problem. They would tell you when you ordered it if they couldn't send it to certain states. I think that would just mean that HD and other brick and mortar stores in Oklahoma couldn't stock and sell it.

10 years ago

Bill. I searched high and low everywhere for it and no one had it . I remember doing research on it and finding out is prohibited.

I'm sure you're right Del. an online store may ship it just fine.

Thank Kenny. I have to order more foliage pro this summer I may try and get some super thrive at the same time.

Mike

• DelWH
    10 years ago

Amazon has a large number of merchants who sell it.

• Kenny
    10 years ago

Yep! that's where I got mine from. Mike, I think you're good to go! Don't use it as a pesticide though, we sure don't want the EPA to go after you ;)

Kenny

10 years ago

Haha. Thanks Kenny. I will clearly mark it as "fertilizer". I Dont need the feds knocking on my door LOL.

Mike