Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
trunorth7

DSPs at Nor Cal Home Depot? Tiny little plumeria!

TruNorth7
11 years ago

Trip to Home Depot # 7 in the last two weeks yielded results far more exciting that the 2'x10's, 4th box of decking screws, and roll of half inch hardware cloth... PLUMERIA!

Amongst the colorfully wrapped Mother's Day orchids and lilies were plumeria, cheerfully wrapped in pink and purple plastic. Walking by, the philanthropist in me realized it was my responsibility, my duty, as a plumeria lover to save some of these precious plants that would surely die without my care... And they were only $7.00, which seemed like an unbelievable bargain since my recent JJ order :)

I re-potted all 5 of my rescues, feeling quite righteous once I saw their soil which is SO water logged that liquid was dripping out the bottom of the pot once the plastic was removed, and moss appeared to be growing along the stem and top of soil.

Naturally they were all NOIDs, tag said "Trade Wind Collection". what really struck me was their TINY size. None were over 12" tall, but were very well branched. One of the plants I "saved" is 10" tall with 8 tips. They appear to bloom/branch every 2.5"-3" on average, and split 4+ times per inflo (no inflos right now, though). The leaves are about 2.5" long, slightly oval, deep green and semi-thick, not glossy at all.

I'm wondering if they could be Dwarf Singapore Pinks?

I'm having trouble posting pictures (can't see the "browse" button that the instructions say I should. Am I blind, or missing something?) but will keep trying...

Comments (20)

• PRO
    the_first_kms2
    11 years ago

I want to see this. I'll be watching this post for when you can post a picture.

• elucas101
    11 years ago

You can also copy & paste the html code from photobucket or whatever photo sharing program you use. I wanna see this too!

• TruNorth7
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I hope this works...

[URL=http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/840/dsp3.jpg/][IMG]http://img840.imageshack.us/img840/5483/dsp3.th.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

[URL=http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/198/dsp1s.jpg/][IMG]http://img198.imageshack.us/img198/8821/dsp1s.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

Uploaded with [URL=http://imageshack.us]ImageShack.us[/URL]

So, in case that did work, the soda can is there for scale.
    Isn't it cute?

• TruNorth7
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I think I figured out the image uploads. Sorry about the one flopped on its side. Soda can for scale

• TruNorth7
    Original Author
    11 years ago

If those aren't clear enough to tell I am email them. I'm terribly challenged with computers, which is quite ridiculous, seeing as I've grown up with them. Sorry, and I look forward to any insight!
    Thanks,

Rachel (TruNorth7)

• elucas101
    11 years ago

Well that's unbelievably adorable! I would have had to rescue them too!!! I was just at HD yesterday, although I doubt they have them here. Good find! I don't know if it's a Dwarf Singapore Pink, but whatever it is, I want one! LOL!

• PRO
    the_first_kms2
    11 years ago

It looks like it but hard to tell for sure. My DSP has a similar shaped leaf but is darker and more waxy looking (could just be the digital image or other environmental conditions). There are other dwarf varieties but I assumed they were offered at a premium.

Whatever you want to call it is OK with me its a nice plant for $7 bucks. BTW when you google "trade wind collection plumeria" the #1 find is your post. Any Chance you can post the tag or any other identifying info on it?

• isobea
    11 years ago

Hi guys, just went to the Home Depot in Encinitas today and found nice, big Jungle Jacks plants inside, some of them blooming, lots of inflos. In the outdoor furniture area they had smaller JJ plants (Divine, Inca Gold and such) for $22 or $23. In the outdoor garden section there were 1 gallon plants from a different grower (some of them with inflos). Sorry, can't remember the grower or price.
    Just in case some of you have to feed their addiction...
    Take care,
    Iso

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    11 years ago

What a great find!!

Lovely little trees...

Hi Iso!!!

Lucky gal to be able to go into HD and find JJ trees... sigh

Thinking that Divine was just sitting there.. ARggg!

Hope you are well.

Did you ever figure out how to post here? If you need some help let me know. It really is easy after you set up your Photobucket Acct.

Take care,

Laura

• plumie888
    11 years ago

Isobea,

Were there a lot of JJ plants available at the Encinitas Home Depot? Did you buy any? Now I am tempted to take a long drive to Encinitas or run to all the Home Depots near me to see if they have them.

Thanks,
    Mae

• isobea
    11 years ago

Hi Mae,
    Yes, there were lots of plants. It looked like they had just received their shipment. Good luck and happy hunting!

Hi Laura, all is well and I resisted the temptation - can you believe it? I walked by there 4 (in words four!)times and needed my friend's support ("Keep walking"), but I did it! I'm really proud of myself. My plants are still in the process of waking up - we are way behind you guys.
    Take care everyone,
    Iso

• ProudMamaSD
    11 years ago

I was just at that HD on mother's day and there weren't any there, so I think Iso is correct that they just arrived in HD. Go get em!!

• pcput
    11 years ago

Rachel, What a great find !!! They are very cute !! Lucky you all that live in the warmer climates and can find them in the big box stores.

Iso - You passed them by !!!! How could you !!! They just needed someone to love them and take them home. "LOL" Peg

• plumie888
    11 years ago

Success!!! I went Jungle Jack plumeria hunting at Home Depots and was able to find some in Duarte, CA. They are in 2 gallon containers and cost $25.90. The plants look healthy and have at least 3 branches. The tags are Jungle Jack but the ones I found had generic descriptions. I did find markings on the branches. Does anyone know what the specific varieties are based on the codes?

Premium Rainbow - HD
    Premium Yellow - Y (I'm hoping it's Inca Gold!)
    Premium Pink - SPJH J09 (I think it spells SPJH... it could be SPJM)

Or if anyone knows of any other codes it would be nice to keep a list just in case we run into more JJs during our hunt!

Does anyone know if Jungle Jack is going to have an open house this year?

Thanks!

• TruNorth7
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I'm so jealous you have JJ's at your HD's!
    I spoke with John Tuesday (my order was misplaced), and am fiercely anticipating my plumies arriving today or Monday. To think of being able to pick out my own JJ's plants!?! I may just take a road trip down to So Cal. It's only a 9 hour drive each way ;)

I will take pictures of the "Trade Winds" tags and try to post them later today.

• nativec
    11 years ago

That tree is precious! It reminds me of one I've seen on eBay from a seller in Thailand but can't buy because I hate being disappointed when they arrive dead or are seized. Ive seen it listed as Great Wall China. It has a remarkable resemblance to yours. I think you found a true gem! I'll be curious to know what the blooms look like. I hope you keep us posted! Congrats!

• ProudMamaSD
    11 years ago

When I was at JJ's last month John did say there would be an open house, I think he said the weekend before 4th of July. He said they would update website and send the announcement out via facebook, twitter, etc.

• TruNorth7
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Here are the tags from my mystery mini plumeria from HD:

Tag from HD Plumeria:

Back of tag:

The tag says its deciduous, which DSP is not, but I think its just a generic tag.

• labland
    11 years ago

I am not sure it is a DSP, leaves don't look the same, but again, it may be the photo. Also, the growth pattern seems more like a rubra to me.

Here is a pix of my DSP late last summer. It doesn't show the trunk, but shows the leaves and inflos.

Keep us posted on your wonderful find! Jennifer

• TruNorth7
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Great pics Jennifer! Thanks for sharing those. Yes, the leaves look quite different. Hopefully I'll get some blooms this year to help ID them.
    Thanks again!
    Rachel