Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
moonie_57

Guillot's Sunset?

moonie_57 (8 NC)
10 years ago

What do you think? I thought it would be more pink than it is, but it is suppose to be GS. Might it gain more pink as it matures? Sorry for the blur.

Comments (61)

• moonie_57 (8 NC)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Freak - there seems to be somewhat of a difference with that pic, don't you think? More cupped, or is this just wishful thinking? I guess the only thing I can do is give it more time and allow it to mature.

The singapore cutting did ooze some latex from the tips last time I checked it. Tomorrow I'm going to check it again.

I'll shoot you an email tomorrow. Thanks so much!
    And thanks for taking the time to help me ponder over GS.

• Kimo
    10 years ago

Moonie,
    Singapore White can take a bit longer to root, so give her time.
    Cheers

• Dave in NoVA • N. Virginia • zone 7A
    10 years ago

Moonie,

That almost looks like a pink pansy to me.

What is the plant habit like? Compact? Large?

Here's my GS in early summer.

This post was edited by dave_in_nova on Thu, May 23, 13 at 9:28

• beachplant
    10 years ago

mine, from Derrick, has an inflo. I`ll get some pics. This was an unrooted cutting I got in the fall. It`s in the upper 80`s here with humidity 100% the past couple of weeks.

I am always amazed how different the blooms look depending on the heat and humidity. Good luck with your cutting.
    Tally HO!

• Kenny
    10 years ago

I got a Guillot's Sunset from Derrick last fall as well. It had 2 inflos and I don't think they look like any of James' pictures. The flowers had spicy fragrance to my nose.

Kenny

• Kimo
    10 years ago

My Guillots from Bud has a mixed aroma but def a rose note to it, not so spicy if I remember correctly. Cstars sells Guillots also under a different name, Bud states that he got his GS originally from a Military surplus store (go figure). Norma and Armida at Cstars told me its a native variety to Mexico.
    Fuzzy in Hawaii aka Blooming plumeria told me in 2005 that he never saw a GS before on Oahu, so I sent him 4 large multi tipped cuttings, so if you buy GS from Bloomingplumeria on Ebay you are getting a GS that originally was sourced from Bud. So I do not know where Derrick got his GS from, perhaps fuzzy as he has had it for about 8 yrs now

Cheers.

• moonie_57 (8 NC)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi Dave.

I can see why you might think it is Pink Pansy but I'm 100% sure it is not. This cutting grew large, and pretty fast, too. I wish that I had already mentioned that the flowers a bit more pink than they appear in the photo. Not much, but a little.

Kenny - My GS did not come from Derrick but did your flowers look anything like mine? Did they have that cupped appearance?

• Kenny
    10 years ago

Mona,

Derrick's GS doesn't have that cupped appearance at all. If i remember correctly, flower petals on his GS are pointy and not rounded.

Yesterday I looked at the Celadine I got from him, the leaves don't have the usual double outlines either.

I think it's one of those hit-miss things when people try to ID his plumerias.

Kenny

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    10 years ago

Mona,

I can post a pic of mine blooming here in our climate if you like. Mine also came from Bud.. so like james mentioned, it is the real deal!!!

Hi James!! Have a wonderfull weekend.. My HK has another inflo!! ;-) Thank you!!

Take care,

Laura

• tdogdad
    10 years ago

two pictures of an original Guillot's Sunset and a picture ot the plant they came from which is Bud Guillot's (Bud in hat)

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

• jandey1
    10 years ago

Holy cow, that's some dense branching! Love the huge inflo, too.

Bill, mine's puttering along despite a sizable sunburn on the trunk. Is GS normally late to leaf out?

• mksmth zone 7a Tulsa Oklahoma
    10 years ago

Beautiful pictures. Thanks everyone!

Mike

• powderpuff
    10 years ago

WOW! Bud's tree is amazing as are all of his trees. Proof once again that Plumerias just have to be in the ground to ever reach their full potential.

• daogirl - SoCal Zone 9
    10 years ago

This is my GS in the heat of an Inland Empire summer (taken last August). It's the first to drop leaves in the fall, and the first to leaf out in the spring. It survived this past winter's cold spell (it's planted in-ground in a raised bed) that killed about half my plumies. Most of the tips hardened off, but it's sprouting new leaves/branches like crazy.

10 years ago

Hey Bill!!

Thanks for the pic of Bud and his tree.. I still can't believe the size of his beauties!!! Truly breathtaking... Yours are to die for too!!! ;-)

Jen... My GS is very slow to leaf.. Every year, it is the last one besides Daisy Wilcox. Hope you are well.. Blaze is looking good.. I need to post a pic of the roots. YOU would be proud!!! I just love this little guy! Thank you!!

Laura

• jandey1
    10 years ago

Laura, I'm so thrilled you were able to get Blaze to root! She seems pretty tough for a red, and I'm happy someone else has a duplicate now. I know you'll be successful in getting her big and blooming!

Daogirl, that picture of GS is one of the prettiest I've seen!

• citizen_insane
    10 years ago

Hi guys,
    my Guillot's Sunset I got from Derrick just bloomed. I does not look like it is Guillot's Sunset, the flower is large and does not have rounded petals. It looks like it is Hawaiian Sunset.

This the Hilo Beauty I got from Derrick

This is Hilo Beauty Dewaine Callahan posted on Facebook

Derrick's Hilo Beauty is not really what is known in the plumeria world as Hilo Beauty. It is just some NOID red nobody can ID on Facebook.

This is Jean Moragne from Derrick.

No way this is Jean Moragne that has washout colors. This is Kauka Wilder. The colors are bright and the flower is only 3" in diameter (not 4-5" that Jean Moragne flower is).

I am so highly disappointed with Derrick. One mistake I can understand. But so many mistakes it is unforgivable. He cannot be trusted.

George

• Kimo
    10 years ago

George,
    On an earlier post of mine I stated that Fuzzy aka Blooming Plumerias in Hawaii stated that he had never seen Guillots Sunset in Hawaii (on Oahu growing anywhere other than JL) back in the mid 2000's, was told it was a native of Mexico by the Cstar sisters. So it was surprising to hear that someone else had a GS tree big enough to sell cuttings from on Oahu other than Fuzzy and JL.

You may want to contact your seller and try to see if you can figure out if you received the incorrect items.

Good Luck
    Cheers

• krismast
    10 years ago

George,

Have you tried contacting Derrick directly? I think that would be the best thing to do before posting any negative feedback here. I had a great experience with Derrick, and even if the cuttings he sent me are mislabeled, the prices were too good to pass up. I'm sure any flowers I get will still be beautiful :)

Kristopher

10 years ago

Just a thought.. The Jean Moragne that George posted looks like my Passion Orange.. I keep going back and forth..

Just a thought..

I'm sure this is very frustrating..
    {{gwi:29977}}

Laura

• citizen_insane
    10 years ago

Kristofer,
    I did contact Derrick. All I got is that he stands by the varieties he sells to be true. That is just a bunch of baloni.

Laura, it is Kauka Wilder. I got both Jean Moragne and Kauka Wilder from him and the flowers are identical. Besides, they match pictures of Kauka Wilder posted by people on Facebook.

I like the quality of cuttings Derrick sells and his low prices but when you do not get what you order it is no good.
    George

• Kimo
    10 years ago

Hey Laura,

Your Passion Orange is Gorgeous!! Very similar to KW, but seems like George's pic of his "J Morange" has red streaks that your P Orange does not have in it, but similar..

10 years ago

The whole situation makes me feel bad.. I hope this can be resolved...

Good luck...

Thanks James... I thought I would post the pic!! Similar yes, but it is KW that George has... I bought the Passion Orange from Fuzzy. It is a beauty!

Take care,

Laura

• No-Clue
    10 years ago

While incorrect George they are still so beautiful! But I understand the disappointment.

Laura, your P Orange is stunning!! What a beauty!

So are you all posting pics of blooming Plumerias right now or are these from previous years? Because mine are just starting to wake up and some pushing inflos but I don't think I will be flowers at least for another month! :(

• citizen_insane
    10 years ago

No-Clue,
    I am selling some plants at the PSA sale. I have a lot of plants grown from my trees. I also bought some cuttings from Derrick and rooted them to sell and help raise money for the PSA. How the heck am I going to label those plants? If I label them wrong I am going to lose credibility. The best thing is not to take them to the sale. Then what do I do with them?
    George

• krismast
    10 years ago

Couldn't you just label them as unknown and sell them for less? I'm sure SOMEBODY would buy them! I wish I could make it!

Kristopher

• Andrew Scott
    10 years ago

From what I have heard, it seems like Derrick is mislabeling his trees. I had a noid bloom that I got from him. He told me it was Kaneohe Sunburst. I posted pics on Facebook and had it confirmed that it wasn't.

The feed back that I am seeing on Facebook is not very encouraging at this point. The consensus is that he is mislabeling the cuttings he sells.

George, I agree with you. If your paying $5 or $100, it doesn't matter if your not getting what you paid for.

Andrew

• citizen_insane
    10 years ago

Thank You Andrew for the input. He seemed so good before the cuttings blooms. Right night he is on my you know what list. And what ticks me off is his attitude: arrogant and no apology.

I think he has some trees of his own but that he also buys a lot of cuttings from individuals and resells them. This would explain why we have so many labeled erroneously. I do not think he has many trees mislabeled.
    George

10 years ago

When we buy a tree named as a specific cultivar, we expect it to be the true tree.. That is why if and when we find that they are not, we need to keep the names off of the trees and label as noids.. Or like my tree that I bought from the Plumeria gallery labeled as " Aztec Gold" and it is a Miami Rose. They also sent me a Intense Rainbow and after several years, the bloom looks like ( and it is labeled) " possible Vera Verde". Since I cannot confirm that it is a Vera Verde.. All I can do is label it as a " possible". We have to keep the varieties pure..and correct. I can't tell you how frustrated I was at The Plumeria Gallery for doing this... I don't think they are in business anymore.. But, I wouldn't buy from them either.

Hi Andrew.. I agree, George could have paid " whatever the price". That still makes it hard, especially when he was going to turn around and sell.. The cycle could have gone on and I credit George for not selling them. I would let them go ( sell them) as noids tho.

So frustrating..

Take care,

Laura

This post was edited by loveplants2 on Sun, Jun 2, 13 at 21:07

• jandey1
    10 years ago

George, I agree with Kristopher about selling them as "Mystery" plants. They're healthy and rooted and a lot better than the PSA customers can find at their average nursery or big box store. Let it be a fun surprise for them, and get your money back out of the cuttings.

I've seen more experienced growers than Derrick mis-name their plants, even some of our Hawaiian favorites. I don't believe it's intentional but he should at least admit the possibility of mistakes and re-assess how he labels his cuttings.

• citizen_insane
    10 years ago

Thanks Jen. They are blooming though so I cannot name them mystery. Maybe I should called them 'NOID Hilo Red'
    George

• Andrew Scott
    10 years ago

Hi Jen. My only concern is that I have heard from a lot and I mean A LOT of people that have said the same thing. They said that Derrick stands by his varieties and that they are sold correctly ID. Everybody can make a mistake but when you are hearing(and I won't give names)20-30 people had the same problems, I have to wonder. I just don't want to see anyone here getting burned.

Andrew

• jandey1
    10 years ago

Andrew, I hear ya. We spend so much time researching and know exactly what we want, and should get just that when we order it. He'll have to change his business practices if he gets a bad reputation.

George, if that "Hilo Beauty" is fragrant, I'll take it, LOL! I'll come by on Saturday. See you then.

10 years ago

George, I'm so sorry to hear this. I was happy with cuttings that I got from Derrick. But they may not bloom for me for a year or two (or more!) and then it will be too late to contact the seller if they're wrong, I suppose.

This happens with other plants too. Epiphyllums for example. You buy marked cuttings, but it takes years for bloom.

Unless you are growing known varieities yourself and taking the cuttings yourself, you really are at the mercy of your supplier.

It certainly puts into question the reputation of growers. Thanks for speaking up here.

I do not know what you'll do with all your rooted cuttings, but since space is always at a premium for us, I'd let them bloom first, decide what it 'could be', then label as 'un-named variety, but looks similar to....'. And of course, you sell them cheaper. :-(

• citizen_insane
    10 years ago

Jen,
    it does not have a strong smell. I will give you one for free if you want it.
    George

• Kenny
    10 years ago

Add me to the list of people who are disappointed when his plants don't bloom true to their names. I don't know what method Derrick uses to ID his plants. That's why I haven't ordered his "assumed" PSA registered cultivars anymore.

George,

It's nice that those plants you got from Derrick are blooming, people will likely buy them even though they're NOIDs.

Kenny

• tdogdad
    10 years ago

George- FYI a Jeannie Moragne and a Kauka Wilder can look exactly the same like your picture. The scent is the give away. Jeannie has a rose/peach scent while KW has a Hawaiian Tropic suntan lotion scent. Jeannie is also very sensitive to temperature and humidity and can give off white (cold) flowers, yellow (cool), orange(mild) and red (hot) flowers on the same plant. Your picture is what mine look like in hot humid weather. Also Jean or Jean Sr is not at all the same (although sold as) and is a pink tulip shaped flower. Most people get Jeannie not Jeans. A young plant may have smaller flowers than a mature one. I have three mature plants and see variations in all.

This is the Jean or Jean Sr.

• citizen_insane
    10 years ago

Hey Bill, I got three Jeannie Moragne Jr and I know what the flower looks like. What Derrick send me as Jean Moragne is not pink; I cannot tell it apart from the Kauka Wilder. Your Jean Maragne is pink, his is bright red and yellow.

George

• moonie_57 (8 NC)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

A couple of days ago I had told Freak that I did not think my GS was in fact, GS, because the blooms were fading to white. But the last couple of days the blooms are getting brighter with more pink and not fading as much. I'm so up on the air on this with it being such a young'un. I do want to reiterate that this cutting did not come from Derrick.

Concerning those cuttings that I did purchase from Derrick, I am upset with what I have been reading around the WWW. None of the cuttings I got from him have bloomed, or even have inflo's, so it will be some time before I'll be able to judge for myself.

Bill - I had seen that photo of Bud's tree before but thank you for posting again. If only my deepest wishes would come true I would be growing something just as amazing. In North Carolina. Yeah, right! LOL

I was also studying your GS inflos. It looks like some of them fade to white like mine were doing. But, it also looks as if the very eye is rather orangey. Mine aren't. I just don't know.

• tdogdad
    10 years ago

George. Yours is not a Jean. However, like I said, Jeannie and Kauka Wilder can look exactly like your picture. The scent is the main way to tell.

• citizen_insane
    10 years ago

Bill Jeannie Moragne has that characteristic flower form that no other plumeria has. It stands out and you cannot confuse it for Kauka Wilder. Besides, Derrick told me that his Jeannie Moragne tree is small and that is why he has not been selling cuttings of it. It is highly unlikely he sent me Jeannie Moragne. I have about 6 Kauka Wilder and 6 Jean Moragne form Derrick. They are all blooming. They are all identical and cannot tell which is which without looking at the tags.
    George

• tdogdad
    10 years ago

George- perhaps you could post some pictures of your known Jeannie Moragnes so I can see what you are seeing (characteristic flower form that no other plumeria has) . I am not sure what you are describing and would like to see. Thanks Bill

• citizen_insane
    10 years ago

Hi Bill,
    here is my Jeannie Moragne. It has pointed petals that stand up (they are stiff).

Here is Kauka Wilder. Look at the tips of the petals. They are round and like a cup. The petals are also narrower than Jeannie. Quite a difference from Jeannie.

Also Kauka Wilder is a 3" flower whereas Jeannie Moragne is 4"+.

George

• citizen_insane
    10 years ago

And yet another wrong cutting. I bought 5 India cuttings from Derrick. Three just bloom. This one of them (all identical).

This is a recent picture of my India I have for many years,

This is a comparison of the stems: Derrick on left, mine on right,

You see India is a robust grower with fat branches. Derrick's India has thin branches. There is no way what Derrick send me is India. It looks like Kimo. Kimo has thin branches and the petals are rounded, like Derrick's India. Here is a picture of Kimo I have.

The flower also smells like Kimo. It does not have the vining that India has either. There is no doubt in my mind that what he send me as India is really Kimo. I was suspicious about it from day one because all the cuttings had thin branches.

No telling what you going to get when you order from Derrick.

George

This post was edited by Citizen_Insane on Tue, Jun 4, 13 at 20:32

• tdogdad
    10 years ago

thanks for the pictures George. As my dad would say, "you learn something new every day." Thanks. BTW your India looks like mine and the one you bought does look like Kimo.

10 years ago

Hey George, have you gotten even ONE variety from Derrick that looks correct?

• Andrew Scott
    10 years ago

I guess I was lucky to get one that was actually what it was supposed to be...I was sent a very nice Celadine as a gift and I did get Celadine.

Derrick seemed like such a nice genuine person but to be doing this to so many people...WTF! I had been wanting to bring this up for a while but thought against it until George brought it up.

I just don't want anyone else not getting what they paid for.

Andrew

• citizen_insane
    10 years ago

Dave I got a few that are right like Dean Conklin, Nebel's Gold, and Samoan Fluff. Some have not bloomed yet.

George

• texasplum
    10 years ago

don't like to hear this! just received 30 cuttings from derrick... hope they turn out to be the right ones...

• jardineria
    10 years ago

I don't like hearing this either, but since I'm such a noob to Plumies, I was overwhelmed when I got 23 cuttings from him instead of the 14 I ordered. But I also went to 1-stop-aloha, or rather my sister did, and got the 9 i truly wanted to start with already rooted there. Most of my plumies are going to make my 73 year old dad a hawaiin forest in his corpus christi backyard anyway, so all he wants is color and as long as its pink, yellow or a combo of this with white, he's a happy lark.

Sponsored
Industry Leading Landscape Contractors in Franklin County, OH