Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
maark23

Variegated leaf

maark23 TX/8a
10 years ago

Should I be worried about this variagated leaf? I just got this cutting and it's the second leaf coming out.

Thanks
Mark

Comments (16)

• mksmth zone 7a Tulsa Oklahoma
    10 years ago

If it is variegated you'll have a pretty desirable plant.

Laura is the only one I know who has one.

Mike

• disneyhorse
    10 years ago

Trying again...

Here is a link that might be useful: Upland varigated plumeria

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    10 years ago

Hi Mark,

The newly forming leaves on your cutting can sometimes look odd in the beginning during the rooting process. This can often happen before the true leaves can grow during the rooting process. The yellowing leaf ( on the right) looks like it will drop off in a few days anyway ... So don't be alarmed when it falls off it will be fine. Let it continue to grow and become healthy in the rooting process and then you will see healthy more solid leaves once it becomes more established. I wouldn't worry quite yet! ;-)

What is the named variety of this cutting? Was it rooted or are you in the process of rooting it? Sometimes when we have new cuttings, you will see some newly formed leaves that are discolored and they will drop.. I even will sometimes break off the weak looking leaves anyway just to help it along so that the energy isn't wasted on the dying leaf. It also makes me feel better...

I do have a variegated Maya Plumeria and this is what the leaves look like .

Hope this helps!!!

Good luck and keep us posted!!!

Laura

• maark23 TX/8a
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks everyone.

Laura, It is a Jeanne Morgane I am attempting to root. I just potted it up this past saturday. I will keep an eye out on the cutting.

Thanks again.

Mark

This post was edited by Maark23 on Wed, May 29, 13 at 23:07

10 years ago

Great choice, Mark!!!

She is a beauty!!!

Good Luck!!!

Laura

• pcput
    10 years ago

Here's a few of my variegated ones waking up. Peg

• johnsonm08
    10 years ago

This is 'Maya'. It never went dormant, so it spent the winter under lights.
    Mike

• kayjones
    10 years ago

OOOOHHHH, Laura - I love that variegated Plumeria - now, I'm jealous!!! Please show us pictures when it blooms.

• beachplant
    10 years ago

Maya kept her leaves all winter for me and dropped them last month, she has now fully leafed out. I have another variegated, noid, that is just starting to leaf out. Our local nursery has 3-4` multi-tip Maya for $39.99.

Tally Ho!

• moonie_57 (8 NC)
    10 years ago

Peg - I really like your lemon candy. Very pretty and they're doing great leafing out! My maya is a 3 ft. single tip and has 4 or 5 small leaves only, but at least it is starting to do something.

• maark23 TX/8a
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Oh wow! I hope I get a variagated one! So I ended up taking the little yellow leaf off it didn't look like it would make.

Mark

• jandey1
    10 years ago

Ooh, those pics of Maya are beautiful. Interesting that she doesn't drop her leaves much.

10 years ago

Hey Jen,

My Maya did drop her leaves.. I think different climates has a lot to do with this!!! She didn't stay close to my T-5 lights, but was in the area. I just let her decide what she wanted to do!!! Lol..

Love seeing all of the pics.. These variegated trees are beauties.. Love yours Peg!!!

Johnson.. Yours is a beauty too!!!

Thanks Kay!! ;-). This was a gift from my friend who is quite the enabler!!!

Yes... It is Peg!!! Xoxox

Take care,

Laura

• pcput
    10 years ago

Sorry Laura, but your welcome
    Thanks Mona, I like that one too as it is so different.
    One winter Maya kept the leaves and the next she dropped them. Like Laura, I let it do it's thing. I also found the markings change on it as one time it looks like the pic I posted and another time the leaves look more like Laura's. Also sometimes it has more pink. I think it might depend on how much sun it gets. I haven't seen any of them bloom yet. :( Peg

• gregsytch
    9 years ago

My variegated 'Maya' often puts forth new leaves that are "greener" but with age they gradually variegate up well. I find less nitrogen will bring out better variegation. The stock plant is well branched, appx six to seven feet tall. Just took my season's cuttings (they become next year's sale plants). Easy to grow!

Sponsored
Custom Decks, Patios & Outdoor Enclosures Solutions in Loudoun County