Return to the Plumeria Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
frost damage 2 yrs later no growth but alive-

Posted by jmomcon 7 (My Page) on
Sun, May 30, 10 at 20:34

Hi
I have the stump left of a beautiful DR that I forgot to bring in a couple of years ago and it got hit by frost.After I cut back the mushy parts of the stem, the remainder of the stem healed & has stayed firm since- but no leaves. Now obviously,I am not one to give up easily (2 yrs!). Can anyone give me an idea how to jump start this plant? It is not rotten or dried up after all this time. I have had it under lights and have been watering it. I still see a green tint to the stem and it has had bumps on it like it wants to bud but has not.
Any help?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: frost damage 2 yrs later no growth but alive-

plumies like the heat and lots of sunlight.

i would suggest keeping it very warm, like 80+ and 14-16 hrs of light. are you using fluoroscent tubes? keep the lights within a few inches of your plumie for full light.

o

You are talking about a desert rose, correct? As long as the base is firm and you see what appears to be growth just give it time. Stop watering it and let it dry completely between waterings. If it doesn't have any foliage it doesn't need much water. Keep it someplace warm. Most of mine are dormant over the winter and get almost no water until the spring. The next time you water it (after the soil has dried) you could add a dose of Superthrive and Epsom Salts to the water to see if you can "wake it up". Good luck.

o

I have had it with my African violets under the lights all winter and now it is out in the Maryland humidity and sun. It is pot bound as I thought they liked to be. Do you suppose a change of soil would be a good thing? My first thought was that it wouldn't need much from the soil @ 1st till it got some leaves to begin drawing up some moisture but what do I know - it's been like this for so long I am beginning to wonder.

o

repotting it might help. plumies are tropical and actually grow year round in the right regions, such as hawaii. their plumies are huge as oak trees, like 30-40 feet tall.

o

this worked with both my desert roses that had some light frost damage this winter: re-pot in very fast draining mix, put out in full sun, drench with liquid seaweed then mist several times a day with liquid seaweed and water very sparingly until leaves appear.

o

Thanks I think I will try that last trick - cant hurt After 2 yrs of a stump in a pot! :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumeria Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here