Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
theloyalplum

First flower ever!

theloyalplum
9 years ago

So, a while back my dad said it would be too much work and not worth the time to try and grow plumerias in the Bay Area. This just meant he wouldn't buy me one because he thought it would be a waste of money. So... I decided to try anyways.

Working on a broke college student budget, I got two of those pre-packaged plumeria stems at an ABC store... I know... heresy right? I didn't know better at the time. I rooted them sometime in August I believe. Cactus mix and typical watering for rooting. A few weeks later I had a single leaf, not a bad start I guess. And sometime in February an inflo started and just today, my first flower opened! -so excited-

TAKE THAT DAD! This is totally proof of concept and totally rationalizes buying like 5 more and building a greenhouse.

Anyways, just wanted to share. What I learned from lurking around here is probably what kept it alive in the first place.

tl;dr: I got my first plumeria. It's generic, but YAY!

Comments (13)

• elucas101
    9 years ago

CONGRATULATIONS Plum!!! Excellent job & I'm really glad you were determined!! I'm really happy for you, that's awesome. To be honest, I don't think your plumeria looks generic so much, it looks rather lovely :) The center looks orange-y & with the pink it's got some personality!!!

Congrats and please keep us updated on your progress and consider this your official warning: this will most likely NOT be your last plumeria! LOL! And LOTS of people grow them in your area, your dad is smooth. HAHA!

• PRO
    the_first_kms2
    9 years ago

I started with an ABC store cutting too.

• nativec
    9 years ago

That is no generic bloom! I think it's beautiful. Great job! Determination is everything :). I started my love of plumeria with a pre-packaged plumeria too. Get a large greenhouse because I have a feeling that you're going to add a whole lot more! :)

Congrats!

Nicole

• theloyalplum
    Original Author
    9 years ago

@elucas101

Thanks! :) Plumerias are my favorite non-orchid flower ever since I was a kid visiting relatives in Hawaii. Now that I think about it, all my favorites are tropicals/ sub-tropicals... Now my problem is sourcing different varieties of plumies and figuring out what to do with them. My two are sitting in 1 gallon pots that will probably need to be 3's... and they're going to be 100% indoors which might be a problem too... One step at a time!

• barb13_gw
    9 years ago

Very pretty and great job.

• plumejunkie
    9 years ago

@ TLP

Congrats & excellent work! Sometimes we just need to experience things on our own, & experience is the best teacher. I'm bet your glad you did!

Your bloom is amazing, did I miss the name?

So I've been growing plumeria in the Bay Area for over 10 years, so here's one more example for your pappy that we can rock plumies out her in the Bay!

We have great weather for them here, except for winter time where plants must be taken in. If you live east of the caldicot tunnel, the intensity of the sun makes for spactacular colored blooms, and if you go over the hill to the delta area by Pittsburg, antioch, brentwood, the intensity of color plumeria produce there could rival some of the better locations in the world! Tho we do lack the humidity if your not right on the water.

Thanks for representing NorCal Plumeria Growers!
    Jason

• theloyalplum
    Original Author
    9 years ago

@Jason

I wish I had better sun. I'm currently a student at Cal, so I'm very limited in real estate. I have my two plumies growing in a south facing window sill along with a couple of my epidendrums and cattleyas. This one is a NOID from a bag at a store so it would be cool to see what it is.

Currently working on building up a small collection so when I graduate and move, they'll be happy and flowering! But of course, that won't be for another couple years. Though I am super curious, how do you get your plumies if you don't mind me asking? I fear I have inherited my grandfather's farmer genes and have gotten addicted to growing plants!

Best,
    Spencer

• plumejunkie
    9 years ago

@ Spencer - check brads buds & blooms, Florida colors, or jungle jacks websites. Also you can buy on ebay - but be ware of shady venders, & never buy anything from out of the country! Check all venders reviews!

Word of caution......plumeria become a VERY expensive habbit, as anyone on this forum will attest! You may not want to go too far down the rabbit whole till you graduate!!! Once your addicted.......there's no going back!!

Jason

• daogirl - SoCal Zone 9
    9 years ago

Congrats, Spencer! I am another person who started from an ABC store cutting. I did laugh a little when you said "totally rationalizes buying like 5 more" ... be prepared to add a "0" to that "5" ... LOL. Especially if you hang out here in this forum for awhile.

• theloyalplum
    Original Author
    9 years ago

So, I got back from work after a 9 hour shift just in time to catch a teeny bit of daylight. It has opened up and it doesn't look like the typical all pink plumeria you see as city landscaping in Hawaii!... or from what I can remember. Anyways orange and darker pink towards the center gives it a bit of character in my opinion. Smell isn't quite as floral, but is enough to smell about a foot away, but I guess that gets better when all the buds open!

And...

Operation Persuade-Dad-To-Let-Me-Build-GreenHouse is a go!

Spencer

PS: I already picked up on the orchid hobby, so adding plumies to the mix won't hurt much, right? Right. Totally. :)

• merkity
    9 years ago

that is a gorgeous flower! I have two cuttings that were brought back from hawaii for me. the first one has flower buds starting on it for the first time this year. there is a great nursery out your way that i haven't been to in awhile - closer to solano i think...they have a nice little orchid selection there too...don't recall seeing any plumeria though. I over wintered my bigger plumeria outside this year and let it go dormant. it managed to survive. Mine started out in my room where it got morning sun and then indirect light for the rest of day - it was quite the happy camper.

• jandey1
    9 years ago

Great job, Spencer! It's a beautiful flower and no one around here would ever call it generic. And now you know it can be done! Totally worth getting more, though they'll be happiest when they can sit outside most of the year on a patio.

Keep us updated!

• georgecc
    9 years ago

That's a really beautiful plumeria. Congratulations!

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?