Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
irun5k_gw

home & around town

irun5k
10 years ago

Hello all,

A few inflos around the house but the only thing blooming for the last month or so is the big pink monster...

This white one at my son's school is looking nice. The kids (pre-K) helped landscape the raised bed around it, they did pretty good I think!

This one is off the charts, I drive by it almost every day and always admire it. I spoke to the owners today and they are offered to share a cutting! This one is in the category of "who cares what cultivar, it will grow like *this* in my neighborhood!?!"

This one sits in what I think is either an abandoned motel, or a motel that should be abandoned if it isn't already. The poor thing... it should probably have grown as a big ugly stick but look what it managed to do! Imagine, had someone given it some fertilizer now and again.

Hope springtime is treating everyone well!
Brian

Comments (11)

• rox146
    10 years ago

Beautifully outrageous! roxanne

• pcput
    10 years ago

Nice Brian! I'll have to have you draw me a map. We will be by you on Friday. Can't wait to see some trees in bloom. :) Peg

• elucas101
    10 years ago

WOW! How absolutely lovely!!! Great to be able to just see those huge trees while drving around, very cool.

I started watching Hawaii Life on HGTV and find myself looking at the plumies as much as the houses.

• Robert (zone 7a, Oklahoma)
    10 years ago

Wow! Love the pics. Thanks for sharing!

I wonder if the big one that you're getting the cutting from is Celadine? For the sake of your nose I hope so! ;)

Peg,

I'm jealous that you get to see these beauties in person. :)

-Robert

• irun5k
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi all, glad you enjoyed the pics- I'll post some more as I come across them :)

Robert, the flowers look like celadine but they usually don't grow like this around here, so I'm not sure. This one is very late to leaf out also- later in the summer it will be a big huge mass of green leaf and yellow flower goodness :)

Hi Peg, that is great you're going to be down! Plumeria sightings can happen anywhere as you know, but my favorite spots for candids are the drive out to Pass-a-Grille beach (several homes on either side of road have big trees.) Also, the Old Northeast neighborhood just north of downtown St. Pete is also a great place for a garden stroll or drive. Sunken Gardens is very nice too and near the Old Northeast, if you haven't been there before. There are some expansive gardens (free admission) in Largo as well that have a couple plumerias, hybrid hibiscus garden, etc. OH, and don't forget the plumeria grove down at Palma Sola (Bradenton) that one of the members here volunteers at.

We are going to be over on the east side of the Bay area this weekend so I'm debating whether to stop in at Exotic Plumeria. On one hand I don't need any new plants but on the other hand, I know I won't get any there because of their off the chart prices :)

Enjoy,
    Brian

• Robert (zone 7a, Oklahoma)
    10 years ago

Yay for more pics! :)

Celadine has the double leaf margin (in other words check the leaves). :)

Now I want to visit St. Pete!

-Robert

Here is a link that might be useful: Celadine's double leaf margin

• pcput
    10 years ago

Thanks Brian. We just got here a couple of hours ago. I'll keep my eyes open and see if we can find some of these. Waving at ya. Peg

• jandey1
    10 years ago

Brian, wonderful pics! I think Celadine does leaf out later than others, so that could be the huge one and the one at the motel. Whatever they are, it's nice to be able to see how they look full-grown.

• Dave in NoVA • N. Virginia • zone 7A
    10 years ago

Pink Monster looks like Miami Rose.

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    10 years ago

Hi Brian!!

I think Dave has that right!!!

MY Miami Rose is the "Pink Monster" :-)

Love all of the pics, Brian!!

I remember the seed pod on that tree at school.. HMMM? Did you ever collect that pod? :-)

Thanks for the beauty!!!

Take care,

Laura

• pcput
    10 years ago

Hey Brian, Any idea when the JJ deliveries are due in Lowes? I'm sure you must be checking. I'm afraid I might be a little too early. :(
    Peg

Sponsored
Jennifer Gilmer Kitchen & Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars77 Reviews
Award Winning Kitchen & Bath Design Team | 11x Best of Houzz