Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
delwh_gw

JJ So Cal special

DelWH
10 years ago

If you live in So Cal (or perhaps anywhere, since it mentions online also), there is a sale until June 6. These are the details:

Lowe's Price Match Special
We just shipped 1500+ plumeria to Lowe's in SoCal; many plants are in bud or bloom, and this shipment includes some of our favorite varieties.

So everyone can take advantage of the Lowe's pricing structure, we will match prices both online and at the nursery for the following varieties: Desert Sunrise, Dragon Tears, Jackie, Jenny, SuperRound.

Sale prices: 1G $16.95, 5G $26.95

Also in the Lowe's shipment at the above prices: Angel's Touch, California Sunset, Divine, Exotica, Fool's Gold, Sahara, Star White, Thai Jade, plus a few other goodies. Special pricing ends on 6p June 6.

Comments (70)

• mimalf
    10 years ago

OK, just got off the phone with several Lowe's in my area... Not good news. Only one got them yesterday but they are very small, only 2 quarts, and they run for $27.99. Nothing bigger.
    All the other Lowe's were saying that either won't get any, or they don't know. Only a nice lady told me that she got an email they will get Plumies, but apparently not this week. Does JJ have so many to send for the next couple of weeks? And what about the prices? Is Lowe's selling them so much more expensive than JJ nursery? It's not worth then, they are so small for that price.

• rox146
    10 years ago

Well, SagoLover, I thought the $27 price was much less than I was charged for my April shipment from him...Those size containers were $35 and up. And none of mine had as many tips and inflos to boot. Not mention what you save on shipping...that amounted to 2 more plants... :-) roxanne

• mimalf
    10 years ago

OK, then what's that price match? It says n the website: "Sale prices: 1G $16.95, 2G $26.95.". So they're going to match what price?
    I need to seethe ones at Lowe's first, if they have inflos or not. One guy said "but they have no flowers". I asked then about inflo, and he said "oh yes, they have all the infos on them" !! Crystal clear... Not!

• mimalf
    10 years ago

Still, a 2 qt plumeria (half a gallon) for $28 it's too small IMO.

• rox146
    10 years ago

Well, alot of the workers at our Lowe's don't even know what they are... :-) All I know is, these are MUCH bigger plants and all 3 tipped and more and all with many inflos for much less than I paid in April. The ones I got in April are still sitting just trying to push, while these are so great and ready to bloom in probably 1 month. roxanne

• mimalf
    10 years ago

Wow, so I should go see them at least. If they're like those in the pic above, from Santee, they're nice plumies, aren't they?

I also have seen some beauties at Cal Poly Pomona last weekend. We were at the Strawberry Festival and like usually visiting their nursery and bumped into lots of huge plumerias. The most expensive was for $70 or so and they were taller than my hubby (6'1"). All multi-tips, many blooms or at least inflos. The only thing was that not all of them were having name. Some of them were "yellow" or"pink" hmmmm..... Other thing that stopped me from getting one was that some were looking like they had some cuttings taken and not too nice, and some branches were not looking too good. But I'm not savvy at all with plumies. Should I post a few pics here, maybe you can say if they were healthy or not?
    Thanks.

This post was edited by SagoLover on Tue, May 21, 13 at 21:57

• rox146
    10 years ago

Always good to post a pic. Between my friend and I, the Lowes in Ventura now has 1/4 their inventory gone on the 1st day, so, maybe they will get more, or keep ordering here for next year. This Lowes has not had JJ Plumerias before. It was a VERY good day! roxanne

• DelWH
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Went to the Pacoima Lowes the first thing this AM and got a 2 gallon 4 tip, 2 inflo Divine and a 5 tip 2 inflo California Sunset. Several 2 gallon ones had inflos, the 1 gallon ones didn't and were mostly 1 and 2 tips. The selection was basically the same as mentioned above. Later on in the day, I went to the one on Carson, next to the 605 and they had about the same selection, but none had inflos. Perhaps they did earlier in the day, but were sold. The price is $27.95, I guess Lowes tacked on a buck to some extra cash.

• rox146
    10 years ago

wow, all the ones in Ventura had multi tips and almost all had inflow. The only ones that were single stalk and no inflos were Thai Jade. I wonder if they will get a reorder? roxanne

• disneyhorse
    10 years ago

I drove to the one in Anaheim, even though I've only just started with plumerias and need more like a hole in the head. They didn't have any, so maybe I should take that as a sign that I don't need more. Or maybe I should swing by tomorrow, just in case.

• mksmth zone 7a Tulsa Oklahoma
    10 years ago

Dont give up that easy Disney LoL. keep checking!!

Mike

• rox146
    10 years ago

Call first and ask to speak to the nursery manager that does the ordering...saved me a trip to the other store. Describe the tag that hangs on the plants really well and tell them Jungle Jack. It worked for me as the guy went and checked and said "yes, he just unloaded them and set them out in the nursery. I was the 1st to get to them...yeay! Thinking of going back today to see what if any are left. Overall, most were Divine of which all of those had inflos. Then there was Sahara, California Sunset, Fool's Gold, Mini White, Super Round, Thai Jade, Thumbalina, some generic sounding reds, yellows and pinks and all were excellent looking plants and all were multi tipped and inflowing BUT Thai Jade was a single stalk and no inflos. roxanne

• beachplant
    10 years ago

Congrats to those who scored new plumeria! I have not received an invoice yet but know he is super busy this time of year. I will send an e-mail tomorrow if still no word,
    Tally Ho!

• rox146
    10 years ago

Just got 2 more...yeay! roxanne

• DelWH
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Me too! Got another Divine, a 6 tip with 3 inflos 2 gallon one and a single tip 1 gal Fool's Gold.

• moonie_57 (8 NC)
    10 years ago

I have never been anywhere that one could walk in and buy a plumeria with the exception of a local feed and seed store that has gone out of business this year. My very first white noid came from there. It's so sad that they have closed their doors.

It's fun to read what y'all are able to get from someplace like Lowe's. I would die for a 6 tip Divine. Mine is a 2 tipper and seems like it has hardly grown since I got it.

• mimalf
    10 years ago

DelWH, how much were your plumerias? I just want to compare with Lowe's in my area. Maybe it's worth a drive there...

• DelWH
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The 1 gallons were $16.98 and the 2 gallons were $27.98. I imagine they are the same all over in So Cal. I went Lowes in Lakewood(Hawaiian Gardens?), Pico Rivera, Burbank and Pacoima.

• rox146
    10 years ago

Such a deal! I paid $44.00 for Temptation in april from JJ and the plant came in a 2 gallon with a Premier Rainbow tag on it and it was very small. I have now seen the Premier Rainbow tags on the plants at Lowes and they are BIG and with inflos....upsetting, but I am sure it all balances out with all I bought at Lowes for such great prices....roxanne

• mimalf
    10 years ago

Wow! Why then the manager of the garden center at one of the Lowe's here told me they only got 2 qt and the price was $27.99/ea? That's a rip off. I won't go there for sure. Still waiting for another one of the Lowe's to get their plumerias.

• rox146
    10 years ago

NO, it was not Lowes, but Jungle Jack that sold me the 2 gallon mis -marked label for $44....now I see it at Lowes for $27 something....and much bigger and multi tipped and inflow....frustrating....roxanne

• rox146
    10 years ago

Sago, Call first and ask if the shipment is in...the ones at our Lowes are fabulous. Maybe by me ordering in April direct from JJ was not the best...should have waited for Lowes delivery, but our Lowes has never had them before. roxanne

• mimalf
    10 years ago

Roxanne, I called because I don't have time to go around and tour all the Lowe's in the area. The manager of one of the Garden Centers from Lowe's told me that. I even asked if they are from Jungle Jack's nursery and he said yes, they get them every year. So I guess they got the smallest and they are selling them for too much. Other manager of the Garden Center at another Lowe's told me that they will get them for sure next week or in 2 weeks bc. she already got the email announcing the shipment, she just didn't know when exactly. At another one they said they don't carry plumerias at all (?!) and other 2 said they don't know anything yet. :(

• rox146
    10 years ago

Turns out I know the manager of ours from a nursery before....looks like we are going to place a re-order for more for that store....cool if it happens...roxanne

• DelWH
    Original Author
    10 years ago

SagoLover, the JJ plants at Lowes are 2 gallon plants for $27.95, not 2 quart. The 1 gallon ones are $16.95. That's basically the same price as on the JJ price list. Unless you live close to the JJ nursery, it saves time and gas to get them at Lowes.

• mimalf
    10 years ago

OK DelWH, that means that at that specific Lowe's they had some different Plumerias. The manager specifically explained to me that they have only "2 quart. That's half a gallon. They're small...".

• dthrooop
    10 years ago

Hi Fellow Plumeria Enthusiasts,

I was reading this post yesterday and thought I could help out a little since I drive by two Lowe's a day going to and from work. Here is what I can tell you about the West Hills and Simi Valley locations as of 4 PM today:

West Hills: They have about about 6 of the JJ's on display and some other 1 gallons from Hines Nursery (so says the tag).

Simi Valley: They have about 5 of JJ's on display and other one gallons from Hines. But they also have about 15 other one gallons that appear to miniatures of some kind ;-) I'm basing this on the leaf form and multi branch structure for such a small plumeria. The tag\label is no use as is just says 'plumeria'.

From what I saw, the West Hills has some thicker samples but Simi was not bad. There were thinner plants at both but the all have multi tips and or branches.

Both locations had California Sunset, Mini-white, and Fools gold when I was there.

I wasn't going to buy any, but you know how that goes :-) As much as I would have liked a JJ, they're a little pricey for me, so I picked up one of the miniatures. Happy, happy! The wife doesn't know yet ;-)

I''m hoping the pictures will make it in the link below. If not, I'll try later today or tomorrow.

Happy Memorial Day!

dthrooop

Here is a link that might be useful: JJ So Cal special - Simi And West Hills

• dthrooop
    10 years ago

Oh, if you look at the last photo, you'll be able to tell what I plan on doing tomorrow ;-)

One more observation, the JJ's appear to be planted in 2/3's perlite and 1/3 peat or similar medium (just a guess).

The Hines appear to be 1/3 perlite and 2/3 peat or similar medium.

Just an assumptions on my part, but I did compare the weight of the two and JJs was lighter, even in a bigger pot.

Cheers!

• rox146
    10 years ago

I am making my 3rd trip tomorrow to pick up a 3 tipped Thai Jade in a 1 gallon for $17....I think it is a deal...roxanne

• mimalf
    10 years ago

Dthroop, love your pics! Indeed, they are rather small. The dwarf ones look terrific.

So you're saying JJ's potting mix is better than the other one? I assume that because he's so well known and has such good results.

10 years ago

South wood nursery here got their order of JJ's. nothing I just had to have. Plus the same ones as the lowes are $25.

Is Thai jade worth having?

Mike

• rox146
    10 years ago

Mike, Thai Jade sure sounds nice on his website. I and my friend are willing to try. roxanne

• Dar Sunset Zone 18
    10 years ago

I picked up a Dragon Tears with two little inflos. This variety seems to have smaller inflos than Divine, but the flowers looks so much more interesting.

Also the plants are in different pots this year but many of them still have that wiggling problem.

10 years ago

Musa.

It's seems often that JJ plants are barely rooted. You do have to be very careful. I had to "finish" the rooting on a couple last year.

Mike

• rox146
    10 years ago

Just scored Thai Jade w/5 tips and an info in a 2 gallon. Leaves do look the size of tobacco though. The Oxnard store did not get near as many as the Ventura store. roxanne

• dthrooop
    10 years ago

SagoLover - In regards to the planting medium, it was just a guess and an observation as to what each one was in. From everything I've read, I would think that more perlite in JJ's is better in this scenario. That said, Hines is selling a lot of these to Lowe's, so they must be doing something right.

I have killed a few plumerias in my time by over watering with mix that was not porous enough. So for me, I'd go with Jacks mix.

For the mini I bough, I plan on repotting it into a version of Jack's mix found on this site as I believe the current soil retains too much moisture. It's new home will be:
    1/3 Perlite
    1/3 Pumice
    1/3 Big R

Cheers!
    dthrooop

• daogirl - SoCal Zone 9
    10 years ago

Here's a report from the field:

The Lowes in Upland has JJ plumies, both 1G and 2G. I saw Premium Yellow (which had a marking on the trunk that looked like SW, so maybe it was actually "Star White"?), a couple Premium Rainbows, Jackie, Fool's Gold, and Sahara.

I swung by the Lowes in Rancho Cucamonga yesterday - they also had a few. I remember seeing Fool's Gold, Sahara, Desert Sunrise (1-tip), and Calif. Sunset. I think they were mostly smaller, 1-tipped plants.

The Lowes stores in San Dimas and Fontana had none.

I bought a Premium yellow white from Upland with crazy branching going on and a new inflo forming. I'm about to repot it, so I guess I'll see if there are any markings on the trunk, although I don't see any so far. Lowes literally had these plants sitting in a puddle of water, so the potting medium is soaked through! The plant is really loose in the pot as well. I can't wait to see what it actually is when it blooms!

• toomanydogs
    10 years ago

Thanks for the JJ update, daogirl. On facebook it had been said that the Riverside Lowe's would be getting a new shipment this week and I have faithfully gone every day after work. No plumeria. I was about to check the North Fontana store but if you went there to no avail I won't bother. This JJ hunting is getting frustrating!

• daogirl - SoCal Zone 9
    10 years ago

toomany - Thanks for the update about riverside. I wonder if some of the other stores will get another shipment, too? I'm looking for a Divine, but have never seen one in Lowes or HD, even though it sounds like it's a common one to find elsewhere. I may end up just making the drive to Vista.

I'll be in Ontario today. If I have time, I may try to swing by Lowes there. I suppose I could call first, but where's the fun in that?

• rox146
    10 years ago

I am checking 4 Lowes up this way on Monday and there IS a re-oredr coming into the Ventura store... roxanne

• Dar Sunset Zone 18
    10 years ago

Daogirl,

The Upland store had at least 6 Divines when I was there last weekend. Seems like they've been all snatched up already.

You might want to call/check Mt Fuji Nursery later in the summer. They had 3 tip Divines selling for around $9.99 each last year. The plants were the size of a 1 gallon plant, but they were in those little tube pots with small root system.

Here's the Dragon's Tears I picked up. I wasn't going to get it at first but JJ tags all have fragrant description. It was just too tempting.

This post was edited by musaboru on Fri, May 31, 13 at 23:16

• daogirl - SoCal Zone 9
    10 years ago

Argh!!

Well, hopefully they'll get another shipment in. The pot that my yellow-white came in was marked with a Corey Nursery sticker - I think they are one of the wholesale distributors for Lowes? They are also within walking distance from our house, although I don't think the general public is welcome. I'm tempted to jump the fence, though! LOL

I drove past Mt Fuji today - maybe I'll stop in tomorrow and ask them if they will be getting any. The two DSPs that I got from them last year were so nice and healthy, but the freezing temps killed both of them. :(

• dthrooop
    10 years ago

I know most of the conversation on this thread is on the JJ's, but I picked up one of the 'generic' dwarfs from Hines nursery at Lowe's. As there were many others available (which are now all gone), and I wasn't satisfied with 'Plumeria Assorted', I contacted the nursery and they kindly replied within 24 hours with the following:

"Plumeria âÂÂDwarf Singapore Pinkâ (Plumeria obtusa)

This new dwarf hybrid of Singapore Plumeria is a seedling mutation from Plumeria obtusa. If kept warm and in bright light, it will remain evergreen, keeping its leaves. Also, it will flower all year. The plant is a dwarf, well-branched small tree that grows well in containers. Leaves are long, leathery and glossy green. Bloom clusters appear at the terminal tips of branches."

I'm putting that to the test here in So Cal! It was transplanted after a day at the house at it was water logged after being purchased and now sits in a mix of 1/3 Perlite, 1/3 Pumice, and 1/3 Big R. Time will tell.

Cheers!
    Dan

• daogirl - SoCal Zone 9
    10 years ago

Musaboru - thank you for the tip! I went to Mt Fuji today and found a Divine! It's only 1 gal, but has three tips and a blooming inflo. There were several other 1 gal plants there, most of which were in bloom or about to bloom, although they were all one-tip plants. I saw Desert Sunrise, Jenny, Afrique (marked Premium Yellow on the card), Thai Jade, and one or two others. $19.99 for each, so not much more than Lowes. I'm so excited to finally have a Divine!

• rox146
    10 years ago

so, after the JJ haul has been painted with navy on the plastic to fit in....lots are happy and blooming. Any idea if I should re-pot now, or leave till next season? They seem to be going thru the water like crazy... mahalo, roxanne

• Kimo
    10 years ago

Roxanne,
    Love it...lol. Looks great, ready for the 4th of July celebration.
    Thanks for sharing.

PS... Do you have a lot of Black Weirdo Spiders under the rim of your plastic nursery pots?

• rox146
    10 years ago

no spiders...thank heavens! Not under, on the bigger plants that are established, we get this ziggy-zaggy spider web that a small spider makes. roxanne

• daogirl - SoCal Zone 9
    10 years ago

Roxanne,

I wouldn't repot yet - I had to do it for a couple of my JJ plants and my Divine, at least, was not happy. It's still pushing inflos, but it's super wrinkly. The premium yellow-white was ok, but it seems not worth the risk unless you absolutely have to. I left the rest as is (including a smaller Divine) and they're fine.

I get juvenile black/brown widow spiders (or maybe just the male ones??) under the lip of my nursery pots. We have a slight infestation, though. Fun!

Hollis

• rox146
    10 years ago

thanks daogirl...I sometimes swipe the webs and spiders out but getting too many to do that with... :-)

• jandey1
    10 years ago

Hehe, "Black Weirdo Spiders". Auto-correct cracks me up!

Dan, thanks for the info on DSP. Seems like a must-have.