Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mksmth_zone_6b

what else do you grow?

Everyone here has great passion for plumeria and I'm willing to bet other plants also. Growing plants in Oklahoma has its challenges. We really see all extremes of weather. tornadoes, hail, very strong summer winds, 110 degree summers and below freezing winters. As my Oklahoma friends can attest, you really have to love growing tropicals here because mother nature doesn't help out to much.

I absolutely love growing tropicals. Citrus,mango bananas, gardenia, figs, pineapples, palms, brugmansia(thanks jen:) and of course plumeria. I love seeing everyone's landscapes. Especially those of you who live in more "plumeria friendly" zones. Ive promised myself that once my youngest is in college ill move somewhere were i dont need a greenhouse. My passion began early when my family would take vacations to Florida and I would just have to bring home a citrus tree. I think I was 14 when I got my first tree and of course i killed it. lol. Now i have meyer lemons, key limes, washington naval, satsuma mandarin and a couple lemon seedlings i started almost 4 years ago.

Thank you all for being such great people!! I have learned so much from all of you and have enjoyed watching your plants grow and seeing all the new ones you all get.
Here is a picture of one of my favorite citrus. Fukushu Kumquat.

This post was edited by mksmth on Tue, May 28, 13 at 7:05

Comments (114)

• rox146
    10 years ago

I shot a lot of my yard yesterday and don't have a clue as to how to get them onto garden web w/photos. Set up a photo bucket account. Need to put into iPhoto on this new iMac. I am NOT a computer whiz. Any suggestions, will appreciated. Need to go to the 1 on 1 class but have been too busy. mahalo, roxanne

• Robert (zone 7a, Oklahoma)
    10 years ago

Jen,

You've got mail! :)

Roxanne,

There's always the post one pic at a time method that I do when I'm feeling lazy. ;)

-Robert

• Robert (zone 7a, Oklahoma)
    10 years ago

Jen,

You've got mail! :)

Roxanne,

There's always the post one pic at a time method that I do when I'm feeling lazy. ;)

-Robert

• rox146
    10 years ago

Robert...not even sure how to post 1 at a time ... :-)

• maark23 TX/8a
    10 years ago

Hello everyone, I am fairly new here. I have posted a couple times before. I mostly grow cacti and have a few small pachy's and and adeniums. I also grow mexican hat coneflower, which seems to do pretty well.

OH and a few plumeria cuttings also. I need to take more pics and upload them.

Mark

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    10 years ago

Hi Mark!!!

Great pics!!

Welcome to the Plumeria side.. Be warned " You will buy more.." ;-)

Rox.. i tried to send an email thru the GW.. but your settings don't allow. Send me an email and i'll try an help you!!

Take care,

Laura

• rox146
    10 years ago

Aloha Laura,

Sent you an e-mail...let me know if it did not make it...you are too kind to offer.

Mahalo, roxanne

• mksmth zone 7a Tulsa Oklahoma
    Original Author
    10 years ago

well this weather forecast should get things blooming I hope. we went from cool and rainy to hot and dry in a hurry

• AllanRandall
    10 years ago

It is certainly warming up, Mike. Do you guys start to water more than once a week when it starts to get in the high 90's and 100's? Do you start to give some shade. I gave my penang peach pretty much 100% sun all summer last year and didn't have any trouble, but i am curious what you guys do.

Original Author
    10 years ago

Hey Allan. I pretty much water everyday when it get this hot. The wind really dries my stuff out pretty quick. Plus the mix I use drains pretty fast. I've only given shade to my recently rooted plants. usually once everything is leafed out they seem to be just fine.

How about my brugs? you think they might need some shade.

Mike

This post was edited by mksmth on Wed, Jun 12, 13 at 8:35

• AllanRandall
    10 years ago

Mike, I usually give them some after noon shade, but i think that this year I'm going to leave them in the sun unless it appears to be hurting them. I have gotten some sunburn in the past, but I'm going to try and water them well in the mornings and see how they make it. Anyways, they would probably benefit from some afternoon shade.

• No-Clue
    10 years ago

Amazing pictures! So many plants so little time! I love everyone's yard and their plants. Makes me happy to look at them. Thank you for sharing.

• rox146
    10 years ago

Kaneohe close up in the mist...roxanne

• rox146
    10 years ago

and of course hibiscus...roxanne

• rox146
    10 years ago

a few gladiolas...roxanne

• rox146
    10 years ago

My favorite fushia...VooDoo Magic...roxanne

• rox146
    10 years ago

And all over the tiny court yard is crammed with lots of variety...garden theme= "order and chaos with a tropical flair" roxanne

• rox146
    10 years ago

Bromeliads as well...roxanne

• rox146
    10 years ago

I have about 10 of the Charles Black Hibiscus....love the unique colors....roxanne

• rox146
    10 years ago

and a few tylansias sprinkled here and there...roxanne

• rox146
    10 years ago

This is one of my first Charles Black Hybrids...such color combination....roxanne

• rox146
    10 years ago

these "poor man orchids" do well for me in the ground in our courtyard....roxanne

• rox146
    10 years ago

giving credit where it is due...my husband takes care of all the indoor 15 phaeleonopsis. roxanne

• rox146
    10 years ago

the cool thing with hibiscus is....they last a few days out of water...that is why the wahines wear them in their hair. Also, IF you don't use poisons...you can pull off the pistil and use it to like serve tuna salad in.. :-) roxanne

Original Author
    10 years ago

Great photos rox!! If you want to include multiple photos in one post you can upload your picture to photo bucket, imageshack, tinypic, or any file hosting site that allows HTML hot linking. Once you upload them copy and paste the "HTML" link for the photo into your message. this way you can put many into one post.

In addition to the pretty stuff I also grow a lot of veggies. Here is 30 pounds of sweet onions I just harvested when I got home. I have about 10 more pounds of sweet red onions to do.

Mike

• rox146
    10 years ago

thanks Mike...till the "tudor" comes again...I am afraid it is all Greek to me...unless my husband wants to show me, which I doubt....roxanne

• rox146
    10 years ago

a few crocosmia among the plumeria...roxanne

• rox146
    10 years ago

grande staghorn on the wall.....roxanne

• maark23 TX/8a
    10 years ago

Amazing plants Roxanne!! I really like the color of your Charles Black Hybrids! It's so coool!

Mark

• rox146
    10 years ago

Thanks Mark, Love hibiscus too....but plumerias are still the best...roxanne

• rox146
    10 years ago

One of the easiest fushias I have, and every year in Jan.-Feb.....I take a lot of it back and give away the cuttings. You just stick them in the soil where you want them and they take off. i forget the name of this one but it does not seem to get the mite problem at all. Too bad they don't smell. Mike, your onions look yummy. roxanne

• rox146
    10 years ago

I like to cram the colors together as well...this is crocosmia bulbs with blue statis. The bulbs tend to multiply like crazy, but the neighbors get a lot that way. roxanne

• beachplant
    10 years ago

a new hidden area to sit

Looking off the back deck

Turtle pond, eventually it will be much larger

looking towards the house

Variegated turks cap

bonsai are everywhere

Dutchmans pipe vine

Lions ear

epiphyllum, unlabeled from Josephs nursery last year.

Tally HO!

• rox146
    10 years ago

beachplant....THAT WAS AMAZING!!!! If you stand in our yard long enough in 1 place....you turn silver....thanks for sharing your amazing photos....think I saw a mermaid or 2.....mahalo, roxanne

Original Author
    10 years ago

Great pics everyone!

Hey Jen, Remember these guys. You were not kidding about how fast they grow. Do you think the yellowing on the lower leaves is a sign of nutrients issue or just older leaves. I feed them pretty good.

My daughter picked out this dipladenia for my Fathers day gift!

Mike

• rox146
    10 years ago

Hi Mike, I too love the tropical looking Mandevill/Dipladenia...my pink does better for me than the red one though...roxanne

• beachplant
    10 years ago

Rox, I`m wicked with a can of spray paint lol!

Tally HO!

• rox146
    10 years ago

Almost forgot to mention....Heliconia....I love the hanging one, but have only had luck with the upright. roxanne

• rox146
    10 years ago

we have this crazy wandering jue type thing that is really cool. Blooms pink flowers, if anyone knows the name???? roxanne

• rox146
    10 years ago

reneisance blue in it's close up...sits out of water for 4 days like this....roxanne

• DelWH
    10 years ago

That's a Tradescantia pallida, AKA purple queen or purple heart. If you grow them indoors, they are good at removing pollutants from the air.

• rox146
    10 years ago

Thanks, I have it in the ground outside. The snails do really love it, so I put beer out in little pans and they drowned themselves...roxanne

• DelWH
    10 years ago

I have a bunch of it outside I have to keep yanking and throwing away when it outgrows where it is planted. It grows just by laying it on the ground. At least it's easy to break loose by hand.

I don't have any indoors but I imagine it would be a bit fragile when it would start to hang down over the sides of the pots. I would think the weight of the vines would soon break off any that got too long.

• jandey1
    10 years ago

Mike, that's amazing about the brugs! I think the lower leaves just do that; mine is tall enough that there are very few leaves under the canopy. Otherwise they look very happy in their new home!

Lovely Fathers' Day gift from your daughter, too.

• beachplant
    10 years ago

Brugs drop leaves all the time, I use them in the bottoms of pots when replanting. They are as addicting as plumeria.
    Tally Ho!

Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Jen

I gave them a little extra shot of food this morning just to be sure. :)

Tally your are right about that. I havent gone crazy shopping for them but I get an itchy trigger finger sometimes, LOL

Mike

• rox146
    10 years ago

Anyone else grow the lovely/easy alstroemeria lilies? Some call Inca lilies...so easy in the ground too and multiply each year...lots of different colors and heights to pick from and great lasting cut flower. roxanne

Original Author
    10 years ago

This is begonia Lucerna. my great grandmother originally bought this over 50 years ago. my mother took care of the mother plant after grandma passed. this one is a cutting of that plant that I started over the winter. I love the pink flowers.

• rox146
    10 years ago

It has been soooo hot here for Ventura, Ca. that I have to mist/water the fushias twice a day but they love it...the hibiscus are going off too. This orange fushia I almost lost this last winter, cut it back almost to the ground and waalaa....roxanne

• Kimo
    10 years ago

Everyones pics are great, so diverse also..

As a hobby I also collect Anthuriums, Gingers of all varieties, Orchids which I've refocused on and tropical fruits like Mangos, Solo Papaya.

Mike,
    Those onions look really good. I can envision them in a French Onion soup, a Gratin, Grilled for burgers and steaks, in salads, Tart.... Grilled Veggie pizza with Chevre YUM...

Cheers