Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kt2fl

Jungle Jack plumeria plants found in Oklahoma

Kenny
11 years ago

Hi everyone,

Mike (mksmth) has recently found Jungle Jack plumeria plants available at a local nursery in Tulsa, OK. If you love tropical plants and live in the area, you should pay Southwood Landscape and Nursery (South Lewis Ave) a visit. Now for some pictures:

JJ's plumerias for sale at Southwood

Lots of inflos!!

Divine looking so divine...love the scent on this one!

California Sunset

Divine and Southern Cross

JJ's Premium Rainbow

I picked up these 2 amazing plumies:

Comments (58)

• mksmth zone 7a Tulsa Oklahoma
    11 years ago

alright who went and bought the premium rainbow? LOL.

k2
    I went back and picked up a 3 tip Divine with 1 inflo. Looks like you got the best one of the bunch.

I really had to restrain myself from grabbing the Desert sunrise, or california sunset. I have to save some $$$ for my trip to Tampa mid June. I hope that I might bring home some florida plumeria.

Mike

• Kenny
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi Mike,

My Divine's new blooms are mostly white. They don't have as much pink pigment as the first flower on the photos. I think it's just the new environment like you said.

I got a Mardi Gras from Jim Little last week as well, and the first flower that bloomed was purely yellow in color (see photo above)! But today the 2nd flower is blooming true to the usual rainbow Mardi Gras colors. So I'd def give them some time to adjust.

I really wish they have more JJ varieties to choose from...but it would burn a hole in my pocket much faster that way!

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    11 years ago

Hey Mike and K2fl,

I can't believe you have that wonderful variety out there!!! You all are so lucky!! I know that i would have a serious problem... My DH would think that i wanted to go to Lowes everyday instead of every other day!!! LOL!!

You found Divine and Jenny? OMG!!! What a find!!

I am so happy for you all. We cant find trees like that here on the east coast. Every once in a while, we have a few Noids, but the are so tall and lanky now.. they didnt take good care of them and they want 39.99 for a Noid White, Pink.. I would rather buy from Fuzzy. Or drive to OK to get some really sweet looking trees!

Way to go Mike!!!

How are you doing? Its great to see you and im so happy that you have some beauties!!! Nice work!!! : )

Laura

• stevenwayne
    11 years ago

How much where they. I think if I saw plumeria in Pittsburgh I would have a heart attack closest one was at the botanical gardens.

11 years ago

Hey laura.

How have you been. I bet your plumies are looking awesome!! I was hoping you would see what us okie's have been up to lately. This nursery had JJ's plumeria last year only not as many and my hope is that if I and the others can get the word out and buy them up that maybe they will keep getting more and more varieties.
    so far I bought an Inca Gold, Jenny, and Divine all with at least 3 tips and 1-2 inflos. I may go back and get the Desert sunrise if its still there.

here is the divine i got yesterday.

Steven

the ones in the black pots are $25 and the brown pots are $35

Mike

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    11 years ago

FANTASTIC!!

Mike.. You better go back and pick up that Desert Sunrise!!

Those are such healthy looking trees!! I still can't get over that they sell those in OK!! You are really fortunate to have these available!!

You really need to tell the buyer at that nursery about the quality of those Plumeria. They are just perfect examples of what JJ's has to offer. I am sure John would be proud to see these pictures!!

My trees are all doing fine. I will have some new inflos blooming in a week or so. Still battling some mites and i have a little damage from Thrip on a few trees. But overall, they are looking great! The last few days have really been hot here. Today we are getting steady rain from the remnants of the Tropical depression "Beryl" It really is nice to have all of this rain. Woke up to thunderstorms and the sound of heavy rain.. Nice!!! Plants and trees are all happy tho... Tks for asking!!

Love your new Trees Mike!! They are just beautiful. Please post pics of your blooms when they open and share the lovely fragrance with us OK? Okie!!! LOL... All of the ones you picked up are wonderful trees!! I love my Divine and Desert Sunrise. I have heard of the Jenny being a great tree and also the Inca Gold!! Well Done!!

Take care and hope to see more post from you!!! : )

Laura

11 years ago

Mike.. You better go back and pick up that Desert Sunrise!!

youre such an enabler, LOL. but guess what..I did go get it. The girl there said "didnt I see you yesterday" I just laughed. Its only a single tip but does have an inflo. ive seen some pictures here of yours and someone elses and I hope this one can get that much color. We definitely can have the heat and humidity.

We had big storms last night and chance for more tonight. We are in a drought already so it was nice to get a good rain.

see ya
    Mike

• Kenny
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Mike,

Way to go on the Desert Sunrise! Looks like your plumeria collection is expanding quite nicely!

I just want to follow up on my Divine. The storm knocked it over last night. The mix it came in is fairly light with a lot of perlite in it so I finally had the chance to repot my Divine in the gritty mix! Today, I can tell you that the next few blooms will have the true Divine color instead of plain whites.

Laura,

I think we're really fortunate to see JJ plants here and we can't wait to see all of your blooms!

11 years ago

k2

Thanks. My collection is expanding and my wallet is shrinking, LOL.
    I was thinking about you and everyone in the OKC area. I have some family around there and I heard Norman got tennis ball size hail. we missed the bad storms but did get some strong wind and rain. I brought my new ones in the garage and put everything else under my benches outside.

Your Divine is showing some awesome color!

Mike

11 years ago

HELP!!
    My Jenny trunk was looking wrinkled and was a bit soft. Fearing rot I carefully tipped the pot and eased the soil out. What I found was the cutting had 1 root about 2" long, that's it. I couldn't find any that had broken off. I potted it back and now I wonder if I should abort the inflo, take it back or just leave it be.

Mike

• Kenny
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Mike,

I saw the pic of your Jenny. It's hard to believe there's only a 2" root. Since there are leaves, the plant has a means to absorb energy from sunlight. I'd keep the inflo and don't water as much until you see signs that it's taken off.

11 years ago

I know Im very disappointed. My fear is the others may be the same. My divine and inca feel solid and the desert sunrise feels a bit loose in the soil.

Here is a pic i took.

full shot

• Kenny
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Mike,

My Divine and Inca Gold were very loose in the soil that they came in. I remember pressing the soil around their trunks down because they were shaking in the shopping cart. I repotted them in the gritty mix. Both have very vigorous root growths!

About your Desert Sunrise, I believe that was the only one at Southwood (maybe I didn't look through all of them). Since the leaves are drooping, I think your plant is in shock (from transplanting and the new environment). I would keep it dry and see how it goes in a week or two. If the drooping leaves turn brown and wither, cut them off. I still see a couple of new good leaves up near the inflo so that's a good sign it can recover.

Maybe someone here with enough experience in plumeria care can chime in. Good luck with your Desert Sunrise. I really want to see that baby bloom for you.

11 years ago

Thanks K2

the pics are of the Jenny with no roots yet. Youre right it was the only Desert Sunrise they had so Im not touching that one until next spring LOL.

Mike

• Kenny
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Mike,

Ah so sorry I got them mixed up LOL. Well I hope your Jenny will recover and bloom for you. I sometimes mix up my plumie's names as well. I did an inventory today, I have 31 rooted cuttings, 27 of them are unique cultivars...and I still have 8 more still rooting! It's not even summer yet! I need to admit myself to an addict's support group at this rate. LOL

I saw some tips on plumeria care from Brad's website. Hope they could be useful to you. Pay special attention to C, which I think is happening to your Jenny.

Here is a link that might be useful: Plumeria Care.

• TruNorth7
    11 years ago

Mike:
    I got a California Sunset from JJ a few weeks ago and mine is wrinkley too. The other 4 I got are fine (Inca Gold, Divine, J105, Thumbalina). It arrived in good condition with a firm trunk but has gotten progressively more wrinkled, drooping leaves, dropping individual flowers, etc. =(

Bill suggested I mist it in the mornings, hold off watering, etc. Thus far it hasn't improved, actually looks worse, but I'm still hopeful it will recover. It seems to like the misting and I'm exhibiting amazing self control and haven't been messing with it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Wrinkle advice

• moonie_57 (8 NC)
    11 years ago

Mike - that sucks about your Jenny and her teeny tiny root. I would be tempted to take it back for an exchange.

TruNorth - I am sorry that yours is not doing better. Maybe your patience will pay off!

• Robert (zone 7a, Oklahoma)
    11 years ago

Mike,

I went there on my lunch break today and they have a couple of Jennys left. Maybe you should trade yours in?
    I can't believe I didn't buy anymore! ;)

-Robert

11 years ago

Thanks robert Im shocked you didnt either. Now if you, me and K2 hold off for awhile eventually they will mark them down and we can get a better deal. Ive already dropped $100 but if they go to 25% or 50% off ill get more. Might only be the Angels Touch left but its a pretty plumeria. I just didnt want more white.

I have thought about taking it back but Southwood has a 90 day guarantee so I will atleast give it that long. Im kinda of a sucker for a challenge. Plus Im afraid if I take it back they will either toss it or put it back for sale and I would hate for someone less experienced to get it and it croak on them. I think I can get it going OK. worse case Ill have to cut the bottom and try to root it again.

Mike

• moonie_57 (8 NC)
    11 years ago

Mike - Good luck to you and your Jenny. I think you have an emotional attachment and that's why you won't exchange her. :)

Robert - I'm so proud of you and the others with your amazing sense of self discipline! I would probably snatch them all up and later knock myself in the head for lack of restraint. LOL

Wish I could find them locally!

11 years ago

Ok so not much change with jenny. I am misting a few times per day. When should I water. Its hard to tell because it looks like it needs it but I know there aren't many roots yet.

Mike

• Kenny
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi Mike,

You can tell if your plant needs water when there are wrinkles on the stem. Keep up what you're doing. If you see wrinkles, just give her a little drink. I'm sure the mix is fast draining and with our heat, that won't be a problem.

11 years ago

Thanks Kenny

I gave it a bit of water today when I misted it. Youre right about the heat. This should be a good week for root growth.

Did you watch the Thunder last night, Man what a game.

Thunder Up!!!

Mike

11 years ago

Kenny

I went back and got a 3 tip California Sunset with one inflo. You know I might as well just get one of each type they have that I dont and save all the trips there, LOL.

so now my collection is
    Delightful
    Scentsational
    Inca Gold
    Devine
    Desert Sunrise
    Jenny
    California Sunset
    NOID white

Ive got my eye on a few at MPG also ;)

Mike

• Kenny
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Mike

Way to go! That's quite a collection! How many plumies do they have left now? Let's not forget the possibility that you'll be picking up a few more in Florida LOL!

I potted my newly rooted Hilo Beauty cutting today. I just got a large Lani cutting in the mail yesterday and I'm waiting for 2 more cuttings from Jim Little to arrive...These are going to keep me busy! The excitement when you see those roots appear is like no other!

Yes I'm happy that the OKC Thunder won the semifinals. Let's hope they'll make it to the top!

11 years ago

Id say they have about 15-20 left. Most all are the Angels Touch. They had a few Jenny and Divine. 1 Hearts Desire, 1 premium Rainbow that was all red so maybe mis-labled. A couple mini whites and 1 single tip California. I told myself walking in that the only way I would walk out with one more was if they had a multiple tip California. I looked and looked and there it was a 3 tip, so I had to keep my word to myself LOL. I wont buy anymore from them unless they get marked down like last year.

Im starting to save my water bottles if that lets you know whats next, haha. I Just need to pull the trigger and order some.

Mike

• jandey1
    11 years ago

Mike, I sure am glad you picked up Desert Sunrise--that's an extremely desirable flower. You now own four or five of their very best.

11 years ago

Well resistance is futile as the Borg say. Went back today and picked up a 3 tip Divine with 1 inflo. Figured I'd better get another before Mike buys them all. ;)
    They had a couple Jenny's blooming. Smelled as awesome as California Sunset but after seeing pics of Divine and how small she stays I went for her. :)

-Robert

• Kenny
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Robert

Congrats on your new addition! Divine is a great choice. According to Jungle Jack's website, it's so compact that the distance between each bloom is less than 1 inch. That's how their Divine has nearly 70 tips and at just about 2 foot tall. I think the sweet fragrance is a nice added bonus.

Kenny

Here is a link that might be useful: Jungle Jack's Divine

11 years ago

Thanks, Kenny!

I've read it smells like jasmine and that warmth and humidity brings out more scent. :)

-Robert

11 years ago

Great job Robert! Dont worry about me getting anymore I forced myself to save some cash for my trip to Tampa so I can shop there :)

Mike

• plumeriafl
    11 years ago

@k2fl (Kenny) - I don't think they are saying that you can expect the distance between blooms to be 1 inch. In my experience growing Divine, it starts out growing fairly normally, and once it's put on a foot or two of height and it's flowered and branched once or twice, the branching becomes shorter and shorter. Right now I have one inflo pushing out a mere 4 inches (approx) from where it last flowered/branched. One inch between inflos would definitely be a rare occurrence - that rarely even happens with Dwarf Singapore Pink (Petite Pink). However, Divine is a compact grower and heavy bloomer with tight branching. One thing I love about it is that the cuttings root very well and it's a pretty fast grower in spite of being compact, if that makes sense. By the way, I sell some of my cuttings on eBay.

Here is a link that might be useful: 'Divine' cutting on eBay

11 years ago

Well I have added a few. Picked up hearts desire today and on my trip to Tampa I added these.
    JJ's thumbalina

Exotic Plumeria cuttings
    Celadine
    Pu'u Kahea
    Scott pratt.

Mike.

• pcput
    11 years ago

Mike, sounds like you've picked some good ones. Congrats. Peg

11 years ago

Thanks Peg. I just hope I can get the cuttings to root. For what Allen charges Id hate for them not root.

Mike

• pcput
    11 years ago

Mike so glad you managed to save your Jenny. Would have been a shame to loose it. Hopefully your inca gold will also come along. Peg

• No-Clue
    11 years ago

Wow looking good Mike. I'm sure your Inca Gold will do just fine too under your care.

Now how are you babying your plants? I need to learn so I can do the same! LOL... I got one very special plant in my possession and I am scared to death to mess up! So can you share your secret with me?

11 years ago

Well ive just been extra careful about watering and the amount of sun they get, morning and later evening only.I have them on the north side of an big oak tree that shades them from about 11-3. Ive also misted them a bit more than the others.

mike

• Kenny
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Way to go Mike! I knew your Jenny would pull through. I got a rooted cutting last week and it too has one root! The seller warned me that the root ball broke off during packing. Hopefully my new addition will thrive like your Jenny.

• printmaster1 (DFW TX)
    11 years ago

Mike,

Do you know if this nursery may still have any of the JJ's plumeria left? It's supposed to rain all weekend here and thought I might drive up.
    Lonnie

11 years ago

LOl..Yes Lonnie I do know. Been checking in there twice a week to see if they have marked them down yet. As of yesterday they had the following

4 or 5 1 gallon "angels touch" no inflo most are at least 2 tips $25 each

1- 5 gallon 3 or 4 foot 3 tip "scentsational" with a slowing finishing inflo $80

2-5 gallon premium yellow/white similar size to the above same price.

Not really a great selection but still nice plants.

Hope that helps

Mike

• No-Clue
    11 years ago

Woah... why is Scentsational so much more pricey? I know I didn't pay $80 for my 5 Gal that has been blooming all summer and still blooming now.

Hmm... so the markup is higher than if you buy directly from JJ's.

• printmaster1 (DFW TX)
    11 years ago

I agree with No-Clue. Not sure I'd make the 3 1/2 hour drive and pay $80. Would love to have it though. I just received several from JJ's last week. I wished I had gotten a Thumbalina instead of Jenny. It maybe time for another order? LOL Like I need more!
    Lonnie

• No-Clue
    11 years ago

Yep the price of gas and the higher mark-up you might as well get what you really want directly from JJ's. I know John ships 5-gal if you really want to pay the shipping fees. Might as well look for his Collector's plants for that same price instead of the mass produced plants.

• AllanRandall
    10 years ago

I didn't want to start a new topic, so i thought i would post in this one. I just wanted to let you Oklahoma growers know that the Home Depot in Moore currently has several plumeria. They aren't Jungle Jacks, but I thought you guys might be interested.

10 years ago

Thanks Allan. How have you been? How are your plants doing? Tulsa HD's just got some also. Cstar plants.

Mike

• AllanRandall
    10 years ago

I've been good Mike, how are you? My plants are doing ok, i suppose. Marjorie, is still the only plumeria blooming. I expected to have something on Penang Peach by now. My brug leaves aren't liking the heat so much, but they are all still blooming. I've got a noid brug that is putting out another flush of about 20, in this heat!

Yea, I didn't really see anything that wowed me at home depot, but i thought maybe someone else would. I don't have much overwintering space, so anything that i buy has to be special. I'm really tempted to try and find one of the JJ Thai Jades that Kenny had the picture of. I'm trying to resist the urge, just not very successfully.

10 years ago

doing good allan. just trying to beat this heat. That is great about your brug. The 2 Jen sent me are growing fast. I dont think they will bloom before fall though. the heat hasnt got to mine as much as the wind and grasshoppers have been.

Penang does seem to be a reliable bloomer. Strange yours hasnt.

Last time I was at southwood they had a Thai Jade. Im going by there today. Ill see if they still do and let you know if you like.

mike

• AllanRandall
    10 years ago

Sorry it took me so long to answer back, Mike. I've had relatives in town and haven't been on. I would be interested if you see thai jade somewhere, but i wouldn't want you to go out of your way to look for it. I'm still not sure that i can find room for it, but i'm also not sure that i couldn't.

Sponsored
Re-Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Pittsburgh's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living