Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tdogdad

finally got the planting done

tdogdad
12 years ago

My mixing of several hundred gallons of soil mix finally got me motivated to plant my cuttings. So I got out my rooting compound, my mix, my watering cans of superthrive, seaweed extract and water, my collection of cut off water bottles and my log book. I put an inch of redwood chips (so the gravel does not run out the holes)in fifteen 5 gallon pots and added a few inches of gravel(to add heat and give the pot weight). Then I potted up 5 cuttings:

Now I continued filling the fifteen pots and logging the varieties in my book by pot location:

The remaining extra large cuttings were put into a large pot to support their stems while rooting. Now I just wait until the leaves appear and the roots show in the bottle. Just keep the sun out to get them going. Now I have to pot up some of my 5 year olds:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

The cuttings in the background are about three dozen from last year that are ready to plant.

Comments (12)

• jimithing78
    12 years ago

Holy carp, that's a lot of cuttings. What are you going to do with all those?

• houstontexas123
    12 years ago

good job, but thats a lot of cuttings. lol

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    12 years ago

Hey Bill,

Everyone can enjoy those pictures!!! LOL...

How many VW's? : )

Will you leave them in the driveway Bill? or move them in the backyard. I know they like the heat from the concrete, so i would expect that you would rather keep them there, but i wonder about others "helping themselves.." I certainly hope that people respect your property...

Nice job on the cuttings!!!

Laura

• pcput
    12 years ago

"WOW" Bill that's a forest in the making. Looking Good. Peg

• joanr
    12 years ago

Wow now that is what I call a lot of great looking cuttings. I think I need to come shopping!!! You know how us ladies love to shop even if it is window shopping :) Shame I am in Texas and you are in CA. Joan

• dpolson37
    12 years ago

OMG Bill you planted more than all of us combined, well sorta.
    Are all those from your trees? If so, you must have some heavy branchers.
    Best of weather to you. I can't wait to see the progress.

Dave

• nativec
    12 years ago

Amazing! To any plumeria person, that looks like a work of art!! Cuttings everywhere! Yay! I'm speechless :) Now I'm trying to figure out how many hours you've spent working.

Thank you for sharing!

Nicole

• tdogdad
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Nicole- I have this down to a science so the set up and tear down take more time than the actual planting. The actual planting probably took a couple of hours. I did ninety cuttings (20 varieties) all from my plants and once you have all the black pots with gravel ready, the cuttings layed out in groups, the water bottles half full of soil , the trash cans of soil and the make-shift table with root compound and cans of water mix, the dip in water, dip in rooting compound, stick in bottle, fill with soil and water takes less than a minute. I have various friends who drop by to get a handout plant and people who drop by can leave with a plant or two. I give some to various fund raisers and plant some in civic gardens. Joan- you would be welcome to shop as with my volkswagen theory, I cannot keep any. I may eventually sell some of the better ones to offset the cost of supplies but, being happily retired, I do not want a job. It already cuts into my surf time too much. Now I just wait for leaves.

• joanr
    12 years ago

Bill,

If you ever decide to sell any of your gorgeous cuttings, I will be waiting in line :) Everyone else - NO PUSHING OR SHOVING!!!

Joan

• brighty
    12 years ago

Ha. When I saw all those cuttings I had two thoughts come to mind. Then I saw that jimithing and Laura had the same reaction!

Holy Crap and what are you going to do with all those VW's?

But seriously, thanks for the pics Bill. Amazing!

• nativec
    12 years ago

Joan-I'm in line right with you :)

• tdogdad
    Original Author
    11 years ago

much smarter this year. By putting the tape on the cuttings I IDed 89 out of the 9` cuttings. Only two mysteries. I went through last years cuttings and i could only id 20 of the 40 remaining cuttings. So I have 20 unknowns. The lesson is label your cuttings as they are cut. I have used tape which lasts about two years, or paint pens which last for about 3-5 years. Now I have to wait for flowers for the twenty which is a mistake. Oh well, live and learn.