Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ken_ny

Iguanas eating plumeria leaves

ken_ny
9 years ago

Anyone have any suggestions for stopping iguanas from eating plumeria leaves? Some of my plumerias have been stripped bare. They also eat my orchid flowers and much more. It's sickening. I'm in Boynton Beach, FL

Comments (26)

• moonie_57 (8 NC)
    9 years ago

Greg has had severe problems with iguanas and as far as I know he did not find a solution. Maybe Peg will chime in as she had sent him some concoction, I think. I wish you luck in your battles!

• brighty
    9 years ago

I had problems with skunks and possums eating my vegetable garden. We bought a wire like fencing at Home Depot, kind of like chicken wire but with smaller square holes. It comes in a roll and can easily be cut. My roll is about 2 feet tall, but it may come in other sizes. We just made little cages around each plant. Maybe it will work for iguanas.

Brighty

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    9 years ago

OHHH nooo... We will all have to come down and set traps, or wear our NRA hats... ( only kidding...)

Greg did have this problem... I'll let him know to come and help you Ken!

Take care,

Laura

• ken_ny
    Original Author
    9 years ago

If the concoction is the garlic, capsasin pepper & mint, I have tried it along with the commercial version, with no luck. I can't use chicken wire cause I live in the land of no (55+ hoa). I can't use my 380 S & W cause I don't wanna add jail to my resume. I got one with my slingshot and two others by stuning, freezing and feeding the vultures. I constantly harass them, but they keep coming back. At my wits end with these creeps...

• texasplum
    9 years ago

I would say a pellet gun myself but wouldn't want to get you in any trouble...very quite and will do the trick on a pesky iguana. Non native and invasive species right?

• frogview00
    9 years ago

I am surrounded by the darn things, but have not been bothered yet. Prey for a freeze this winter. That will cull the herd somewhat.I'm all eyes and ears to see what you do or find out about this problem.
    Jim

• irun5k
    9 years ago

Maybe try complaining to the HOA? Undoubtedly they're the ones that will stop you from deploying the appropriate countermeasures, so why not let them figure out a neighborhood-wide solution.

After all, I'm sure they don't hesitate to "let you know" when you have a brown patch in your lawn.... lol!

Happy Memorial Day!
    Brian

• jandey1
    9 years ago

Ferocious dog.

• ken_ny
    Original Author
    9 years ago

yes they are definitely a non native, invasive species. Palm Beach County allows killing them as long as it's "humanely", whatever that means. They do not allow relocating them. I approached my HOA for help and they said it's my problem, not theirs, since I have put such an extensive buffet out there for them.

• greyghost61
    9 years ago

I guess you could coat the lower trunk with crisco, will make it real slippery and they can't climb....or some other substance like that. Or place an inverted cone on the trunk like those to keep squirrels out of bird feeders. I know iguanas are good eating and alot of people in central america eat them......I have had them and they are good. Pellet gun and a deep fryer.

• Carol love_the_yard (Zone 9A Jacksonville, FL)
    9 years ago

Do HOAs even concern themselves with these kind of things? We have problems with Canada geese, armadillos and squirrels. I can't imagine calling the HOA about any of them... would they care? ...or act?

9 years ago

Like k' s suggestion..

Laura

• Dave in NoVA • N. Virginia • zone 7A
    9 years ago

Apparently they are easy to trap. Then plop them in your chest freezer. Then bury or dispose of somehow! Hope for a cold spell next winter that 'stuns' them. Pick them up and dispose of.

9 years ago

Like yours too, Dave!!!

;-)

Laura

• technodweeb
    9 years ago

Says here you can trap them. . . .

I had "pests" in California (tree rats). . ..so I put out a trap, and then we'd sink it in a garbage can full of water. (Made the ex do that - not me.)

Walk away for 20 minutes or so. It's not pretty, but if you're desperate. . . .

Another article mentions wrapping plants in 6-12" tall smooth metal because they can't climb it. (Why do I find that hard to believe?) Same for trees.

Says they're annoyed with "vibrations" that scare them away. . .now that's an idea. What if you had a motion detector "triggered" air pulse, or flashing strobe (down low).

It says you're supposed to annoy them, think a bright motion triggered strobe would do it?

• Pharaoh4
    9 years ago

I hope you come up with a HUMANE way of dealing with them that DOES NOT involve killing. The airsoft seems to be the best idea IMO.

• rox146
    9 years ago

put bacon in the live capture trap and then when you have caught one, haul it off in your truck to place very far-far -away and let it go.....roxanne

• frogview00
    9 years ago

"Humane?" Is that like a bullet in the head similar to steer at a slaughter house, or like an arrow in a deer that you have to track for miles while it bleeds out? hmm??? Off topic, I guess.

I think that trapping and freezing is the best solution, but an adult iguana is a big four foot lizard. A lot to put in a freezer, let alone handling it to get it in the freezer.

I'm wishing you luck finding a solution. Please keep us posted.

• Dave in NoVA • N. Virginia • zone 7A
    9 years ago

In Florida you are NOT allowed to drop iguanas off in other areas, since they are an invasive alien species.

There's really no 'humane' solution. Adults do not make good pets.

9 years ago

Hello Everyone!

I Wonder if you took the ferocious dog, then combined the funnel that would go around the tree only after you get it from the ferocious dog?

Maybe that would work?

I hope you have found ways of dealing with this .. I know it's hard to please everyone . But when you see the destruction that these critters do ... Argh!!!

So. I thought I would post a pic of two methods combined Into one!!

Savannah, grrrrrrr!!! She is scary Oui?

Have a good weekend!!

Laura

• pcput
    9 years ago

Thanks Moonie for thinking of me and remembering I tried to help Greg. Ken, I had a product that is made to keep birds from chewing their feathers. It's like 100 times more bitter than bitter apple for dogs because birds don't have saliva glands. I sent a bottle to Greg and he said it worked a little but would take a lot and repeated spraying the plants wouldn't be practical. The company was sold and don't know if the new companies product is the same or even if available. I don't know if Greg found an answer to the problem other than maybe some of the not so nice suggestions here. I think freezing is considered a human way of euthanasia for reptiles. Hope you have a nice big chest freezer. Wish I could be of more help.
    Sorry for the delayed reply but it seems the computer acts up every time I come here :(
    Peg

• gidgetsocal
    9 years ago

LOL! Ha!!! I love your idea, Laura! My Maggie had a funnel cone. If I still had it, she could come help Savannah. I'd bet they'd run those lizards out of town!

Scary, oui? Mmmmm....maybe too gorgeous! I hope she is on the mend!

• phalanx_viridis
    9 years ago

Wow Im glad we don't have those over here in Calif...I know there is a motion-activated sprinkler that you can train on the area your plumeria are (I think its called a scarecrow sprinkler or something similar).
    Not sure how many you need to protect, but this sprinkler helps keep raccoon and heron etc. out of my dad's koi pond and it can detect small animals. Only thing is that it will be shooting water at your plants, so if you can protect them from overwatering, it might work. Good luck with those buggers!

• pcput
    9 years ago

I had a thought Ken, you might want to try. Iguanas are vegetarians and reptiles are creatures of smell. They smell first before the bite. I'm wondering if you've ever sprayed your plants with fish emulation? I'm wonder if that would keep them back as I know it sure does me. That would be on the cheaper side and sure wouldn't hurt the plants. Just a thought and maybe worth a try.
    Peg

• Patricia Cohen
    last year

Killing iguanas with a BB gun is perfectly legal in south Florida and quite frankly given their overpopulation added to the fact that they have no natural enemies in our backyards , I don’t see a better way to control them. Elected officials and the appropriate agencies have taken a Laissez-faire attitude for the past 40 plus years. Now the small dinosaurs are outta control and our gardens are flower -less.