Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rox146

find the plumeria pal

rox146
9 years ago

Look close.....kindof like find waldo...

Comments (16)

• rox146
    Original Author
    9 years ago

While looking for the new growth on plumerias....look what is hiding by the pots....

• rox146
    Original Author
    9 years ago

she let me get so close....no nest, no eggs....

• rox146
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Just there for the zen smell of the plumies..... every day now...roxanne

• daogirl - SoCal Zone 9
    9 years ago

We have a pair of mallard ducks that like to swim in our pool ... haven't seen them too close to the plumeria, though.

• moonie_57 (8 NC)
    9 years ago

We raised 2 baby ducks summer before last. My husband was devastated when they grew up and flew out to the river. And more devastated when they did not make a return visit the next year. Ungrateful young'ins!

• mksmth zone 7a Tulsa Oklahoma
    9 years ago

I have been battling a mallard pair for months. They love the clean swimming pool. I dont mind them except for one thing. They POO in the pool and on the deck. I tried everything from just scaring them to criss crossing strings over the pool. I have found one thing that has worked flawlessly. Walmart sells an Alligator decoy. I tied it to my auto vac cleaner hose so when the pump is running during the day the hose pull the Gator around like its swimming. No more ducks in the pool!!

Mike

• daogirl - SoCal Zone 9
    9 years ago

Haha, Mike - we've been looking at the same alligator decoy. How do animals that small produce so much poo? They like to hang out in our front yard, too, and eat the acorns off our oak trees. That's totally fine with us, but the pool area gets nasty when they hang out in the back yard instead. We have a big inflatable pool float that's in there now - it seems to discourage them somewhat. I've heard really good things about the alligator, though, so we're looking into that, too.

• mksmth zone 7a Tulsa Oklahoma
    9 years ago

I have no idea how they do it. It sure makes a mess. The day after I got the decoy I found a poo by the back door. Almost like they were mad at me LOL. When i first got the Gator I just let if float but it ended up in the skimmer and the ducks never saw it. Wasnt until I tied him to the hose that they got spooked.

• rox146
    Original Author
    9 years ago

This female I have posted will fly off IF we let the whippets to the lower part of the deck. She flies off to the water channel. IF she does have babies....there is no way they can waddle thru all the geraniums to get down to the water.

As a suggestion, put fake dogs around, this works great for all the docks around here. Even the ducks and Great Blue Herrons stay off. good luck, roxanne

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    9 years ago

lol....

Lots of mess when the ducks think its their pool... Argh! I go out and try to scare them away, but they just go to the other side, so I go in and get the black lab, Savannah... All I have to say is " go get the ducks.." They take off pretty quickly.. It's a mess when no one is home and they think its spa day at the house..

I love the Ducks , geese, herons, and all animals.. Just wish they wouldn't use the pool as an outhouse... Lol!! Ewwwwww...

Cuts pics, Roxanne.. My son had some corn to spread on our land that We have in the country. The bag broke on the side of the house before he put it in his truck to take it to the farm... I had more ducks hanging around thinking it was a free for all food dump.. I made him get rid of the corn ASAP... Now when they see me, they think I'm going to feed them!!! Sheesh. Then they fly to the back yard and finish the feeding cycle.. OMG I can't win!! LOL!!!

Laura

• disneyhorse
    9 years ago

Here was my "find the plumeria pal" this morning while begging the inflos to hurry up....

• rox146
    Original Author
    9 years ago

what a difference a day makes

• rox146
    Original Author
    9 years ago

well....maybe in time for Fathers day? Anyone know how long it is before the eggs hatch? Gave birth last night. Have set a smelly egg in the live capture trap to catch opossum #44 tonight....yes, caught # 43 last night on Bacon and sausage. Hope the ducklings survive the cliff dive to get to the water...roxanne

• disneyhorse
    9 years ago

They lay one egg per day.... But when done laying all the eggs in the clutch, she will sit on them for just about a month until they hatch. I think a few days longer than a chicken which is about 21 days. Nothing cuter than ducklings!

• rox146
    Original Author
    9 years ago

too sad to post the photo....all the eggs were eaten by seagulls the very next day... :-(((

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    9 years ago

OHHH. Noooooo :-(

Laura