Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tropic_7

Current Blooms at the Palma Sola Botanical Park Bradenton Florida

Tropic_7
11 years ago

Plumeria Friends,

Today I stopped by the Palma Sola Botanical Park were I live in Bradenton FL. I gathered several photos 133 in all on a mostly cloudy day. Some folks have expressed desire to come down and see the collection and I have a link to my flicker account for all to see. I was not able to find relevant identification but felt the photos would help give folks an idea of what to see if you visit. ( link at the bottom of the photos. Stuart

Here is a link that might be useful: Plumeria Garden at the Palma Sola Botanical Park, Bradenton, Florida

Comments (10)

• plumie_girl
    11 years ago

Beautiful pictures! Too bad we couldn't make out the name tags. Is the park mostly plumeria or is that just a section of it? It doesn't seem to be very well kept, but the flowers look good.
    Thanks so much for sharing.
    Jan

• irun5k
    11 years ago

Nice photos- thanks for sharing. I was there a couple months ago and it was just starting to leaf out.

This is such a neat place- it is probably the northern most permanent, public collection of plumeria and exotic fruit in FL if not beyond.

Parts of the exotic fruit section looked rough also- not sure if you walked to that part? If I lived slightly closer I would volunteer on occasion. I imagine it is difficult w/o a full time caretaker. Many of these plants can get by on their own at some level, but they still require some amount of care. I hope that all of their visitors leave at least a small donation; this can at least help with fertilizers and other products which are not cheap.

• Tropic_7
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Plumie_girl,
    The Plumeria section is on the back side of a pond area that has up to 75 different trees.
    I just spent 6 hours today cleaning up the pathways, trimming and raking dead leaves. I signed up to be a volunteer. I'm going to need help identifying the different cultivars. I'm going to look into having markers made soon.

irun5k,
    They have a grounds keeper 30 hours a week.
    They need volunteers who specialize in growing and maintaining the grounds there at the park.
    The park has all kinds of plants!
    Thanks, Stuart

• irun5k
    11 years ago

That is excellent- I am glad you are able to volunteer!

Before everything had leafed out I did notice that some of the trees had metal tags, but even w/o leaves they were hard to get to, way under the canopy. Of course many were missing also. The trees are so close together also, that doesn't really help.

Keep us posted on how things are going at the park!

• Tropic_7
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I wish I knew someone who either donated or has a listing of the different cultivars donated for this park?
    I'm continuing to add more photos of the blooms and work being done. I've cut all the grass away from the path so park goers can enjoy seeing the blooms. BEFORE & AFTER

Trees on the left of this photo have been trimmed & pruned properly to allow air circulation under the trees / On the right are trees that are next to be pruned & trimmed up.
    Cuttings will be planted and sold at the park in October's Plant Sale, anything left over will be sold in April 2013 Plant Sale.

Here is a link that might be useful: ALL WORK DONE CAN BE SEEN HERE

• stormys_mom
    11 years ago

Stuart
    I am in Awe!!! Thanks for sharing

Jackie

• pcput
    11 years ago

Stuart !!! I agree with Jackie !!! GREAT job. I'll have to come visit in Nov. when we are at St. Pete's. Peg

• sflgplume
    11 years ago

Stuart,
    Bravissimo molto! I love good deeds :-) Will come see your handiwork when I'm next up that way as well.

Greg

• dpolson37
    11 years ago

Awesome Job Stuart. I'm glad to see they sell their cuttings. I'd happily buy some to support a good cause. I recently joined the Pacific Whale Foundation to get the plumeria cutting they were offering.

Your hard work looks great, keep it up.

I will visit too when I get down there.

Big Wave Dave

• Tropic_7
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks to all of you! You all know it's a labor of love! Even if they are public park I'm glad to help keep them healthy!
    Please email me when you plan to visit, I will make sure I'm there and you'll go home with some cuttings! And yes, all proceeds go to support the Palma Sola Botanical Park!
    You can see, I have a lot of cuttings to plant by next weekend! ( It's root growing season!!!) Stuart