Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
barb13_gw

Great year for flowers

barb13_gw
10 years ago

This is going to be the best year yet for my plumeria. I have been growing them for about 16 years and up to around 400+. Got some on ebay and grow some by seeds. Hope that you can see the picture of one little corner of my yard. Barb

Comments (19)

• barb13_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I can only add one picture at a time but here is another one that is blooming again this year. I have about 70 plus that are going to bloom, some for the first time.

• barb13_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here is a little bit more of the yard, about 1/4 of what I have. I took this one this morning.

• dthrooop
    10 years ago

Looking great, Barb! Is that pool for you or the plumeria :-)

Cheers!
    Dan

• barb13_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Dan, The pool was there first but my husband keeps saying that maybe we should just fill it in so I could have more room for my plants. :)

• rox146
    10 years ago

Aloha Barb...this is going to be my best year yet too for blooms but I only have about 150 after 7 years. It is all very exciting. What part of Ca. are you in? If you are close and would like to come to our luau in August, let me know....some other enthusiasts come and we smell the blossoms. Mahalo, roxanne

• toomanydogs
    10 years ago

Barb, we did just that. Took out pool for more plumeria room. Now we are stuck on putting in a huge shade structure versus a greenhouse. Living in Riverside, CA it is too hot in the summer and too cold in the winter. Ugh. All advice welcome!

• barb13_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I am in Lakewood, which is close to Long Beach. We don't get out much anymore but I am sure that it will be a great party.

I don't think that we are really going to fill in the pool, grandkids would not be happy. I always seem to find a few more places to put some more plants. Just glad that they don't grow any faster. LOL

• rox146
    10 years ago

Barb,it is a bit far then, we are in Ventura....enjoy your nice yard...roxanne

• jandey1
    10 years ago

Wow, Barb, good for you! Sounds like your yard will be wafting that wonderful scent all summer.

Is that second photo one of your unique seedlings?

That pool really is taking up valuable space ;-)

• barb13_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The second picture is a Katie Moragne.

The picture here is one of the seedlings that took about 6 years to bloom. This is from last year. The ones that are going to bloom for the first time that our seedlings have not open yet.

• No-Clue
    10 years ago

Magnificent! 400 plants? Are you serious? HOW do you take care of them all? I'm struggling to care for the 70+ that I have. But then to hear that you have just as many going to bloom as I have in total I'm sooo envious! LOL.

Also you put your plants pretty close together up against the wall and they seem to do ok right? I'm scared mine will suffer sun burn again this summer so I was going to plant some vines to cover my wall. But I don't thing it will spread fast enough to line the wall this summer. Also are they sitting on concrete and if so when you water/fertilize them where does the run off go?

Anyway, what is the name of that first flower? She's absolutely stunning!! You have a beautiful yard and I love how neat and tidy you keep them. :)

• barb13_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The first flower is a Katie Moragne.

Well, it does take about 1 hour and 1/2 to water everything and sometimes I have to move ones that don't seem to be doing well. The ones in the back are sitting on a round stone so they can drain well. But most are very happy where they are. Remember this is only about 1/4 of what I have. I am always starting new ones and those are in a different place so they do not get wet. I do have a few with sunburns but wrap them and most of the time move them to a different place in the yard. I put smaller pots in larger pots for two reasons, one to make more room and two to keep cats that come in the year out of the big pots.
    Thanks I enjoy my yard and check my plants at least 4 or 5 times a day.

• barb13_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

This is one that bloomed for the first time last year, and will again this year but it will be in a couple of weeks. I thought it was very beautiful and hope that you enjoy the picture. All of my plants that I bought from ebay are tagged with the name of the person I got it from and also the date that I got it. I believe that this one is a Ruffed candy and got it from Maui Plumeria gardens website. I have a lot from them and also Matt on ebay.

• No-Clue
    10 years ago

Thank you Barb for posting that last photo. What a beauty!! You must have a very green thumb for all your plants look so healthy and happy!!

Ironically I have Katie M and Ruffled Candy on my wish list. I think I can find room for a few more right?

Like you I'm out in my yard more than inside! I love look at them although right now there isn't much to look at. Nothing is blooming right now. Out of the 70+ only about 11 have inflos. I hope more will flowers this year or I will have to buy a few blooming plants. LOL

• barb13_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here is a picture of one of the ones that I started from seeds.

• barb13_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here are a few more that are blooming. Hope everyone else is having a great year also.

• barb13_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here is a shell, that seems to bloom each year.

• Kimo
    10 years ago

Hey Barb,
    Looks gorgeous!!! I love H&H nursery in Lakewood, purchased many plumies from them back in the early 2000's when they carried Ampols stuff . I know there are a lot of Plumie people in Lakewood and Long bch, Joel Cuttler use to live in LB.
    I live in Holmby Hills,but have a beach condo in LB that I stay at sometimes when I want to get away and be by the water. I maybe going to JJ's with some others in July, I can give you a ride as I probably will stay in LB to cut down on the drive time if you would like to go and need a lift.

Ive been collecting plumies since I was 9, in my 40's now and at one point had about 650 plants. Once I moved from Palos Verdes and had to move my collection down to my current plumie patch in the south bay I decided to get rid of most of the plants, only kept the best performers. At a certain point the plants get HUGE and its more work figuring out where to put them and shuffling them around.

PS...Love your Costco in the Lakewood Mall...the best one I've been to.
    Cheers
    James

• barb13_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the nice offer James. We just don't get out much anymore and it would make to long of a day for me. I have been working in a garden since I was little but did not find out about these plants until about 17 years ago. It started out slow but over the years I seem to find more room to put them. I was even looking at houses online the other day that would have more land so I could add even more, but after living here for over 40 years it's not going to happen. Like I said it is going to be the best year yet for flowers. Barb

Sponsored
Integrity Woodworking Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry Professionals