Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
no_clue

Sun burning leaves again!

No-Clue
10 years ago

Hi guys,

I am very concerned about my plumeria... well actually all my plants. The last 3 days the temps have been in the high 80s and all of a sudden my leaves are turning yellow!

Most of my plants are getting full sun all day long. Should I start pulling them into the covered patio? I don't have enough space under there though...

At this rate, I don't see how they will survive the brutal sun from Aug-Oct. My leaves were so green and so beautiful in May and now so yellow and ugly! I'm watering them once a week. Would watering them more help with this problem or not? I'm so confused!

What should I do now? Please help me!

Comments (18)

• PRO
    the_first_kms2
    10 years ago

I think you are under watering at just one time per week. I remember your Hilo Beauty post and how dry things were. You could probably water two times per week.

Many of mine are in full sun and it was 101 today. I have to water every other day.

Edited out an accidental duplicate word.

This post was edited by kms2 on Mon, Jul 1, 13 at 22:24

• DelWH
    10 years ago

If there's some way you could set up some shade cloth to cut down on the sun hitting them, it would help out a lot.

• mksmth zone 7a Tulsa Oklahoma
    10 years ago

Mine will see 90's-100's in full sun now until about mid September. I have to water almost everyday if not sometimes twice a day. I have never had an issue with sunburned leaves.

Mike

• dourbest
    10 years ago

I have the same problem. I usually water once a week or use a moisture meter. Unfortunately, with this heat we have been getting has me going nuts trying to find shade for the plants. Today the temp is supposed to be 100 and 104 on Sunday. I want to water more often but then I worry about root rot. Can I still water the plumeria in hot weather if the moisture meter shows the soil is still moist?

• No-Clue
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I might very well be under watering during the growing season. Some how I got it stuck in my head that I shouldn't water more than once a week. I will water twice a week and see if that will help.

I gave everybody a good soaking this morning and everybody perked right up. Today will reach 88 and tomorrow 90. With full sun it will be a lot hotter. So I will pull my more precious especially the younger plants into the shade after 2pm to give them a little protection. The rest will just have to deal!

Fingers crossed. Thank you for your help!

• beachplant
    10 years ago

It was 97 today, we had a cold front. We`re under water restrictions. There are plumeria growing on the tar roof of the front porch in full sun all day with salt breeze. No sunburned leaves.

I have a tendency to overpot, avoid black pots when transplanting to >1 gallon, use Miracle gro potting soil and mulch heavily in the garden.
    Tally HO!

• Kimo
    10 years ago

I am over this heat!!! The plumies love it but I do not.
    Lynn, you can have my heat, Ill send it your way..lol

• No-Clue
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Beachplant - your plants are probably used to the heat where as ours are not.

We had May gray and then June gloom until the last couple days. Then BAM! 88-92 degrees. No wonder ALL my plants not just my plumeria are sun burnt. I am going to try to water them twice a week and see if that will help somehow. Very rough to watch.

Hopefully my plants will adjust. Sigh.

James - I have the same temps are you silly!

• Kimo
    10 years ago

Lynn,
    Your temps are close to my house temps, but my patch temps are much cooler. I track my patch hourly or so..not that I am anal, have to make sure whats going on, curiosity I guess. The high for my patch was 82 with 67 percent humidity, that was from about 1pm to about 2:30 when I checked again, then it dropped to 76 and was partially cloudy on and off, perhaps the reason for fluctuating temps. @ 3:40 I checked again and it went up to 80, suppose to get down to 69 for the low.
    So my plumies definitely have different temps then yours.
    But my house temps are the same as it was 91 @ my house....SIZZLE!!!

Cheers

• No-Clue
    Original Author
    10 years ago

James,

I kept forgetting that your house is far from your patch! I don't know how you do it. I check my plants at least 10x/day! I don't know if I can go days w/out looking in on them! :)

So what munchies did you get?

• Kimo
    10 years ago

MMMMM Went to Veggie Grill...

• No-Clue
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Haha! My broccoli dinner inspired you heh? Hope it was as good as my dinner! ;)

• Pharaoh4
    10 years ago

During the summer it's next to impossible to overwater. I have watered unrooted cuttings EVERY DAY and they root quickly. I also believe keeping them in small black pots is almost like a waste of a growing season. The minute I buy a 1 gallon, it goes straight into a 16 inch pot at least.

Remember, rot comes when it is COLD and WET during dormancy. In summer, they love water but once established (big pot) can do well with just a weekly watering depending on how moisture retentive the soil is.

I think most people who are new to growing UNDERWATER.

• printmaster1 (DFW TX)
    10 years ago

Here in North Texas we have temps in the 100's. My plumies get full sun until 2pm, then dappled shade to protect them from the glaring sun. We have to water twice to three times per week during this heat.

Lonnie

• beachplant
    10 years ago

Lonnie, did you get this "cold front"? It`s only 86 today! The humidity was 26% yesterday. North wind and everything.

We went from cool, wet weather-the heater was on-in May to 90`s literally overnight. The plumeria really started taking off mid-June.

I don`t think you water enough for the mix that you use. Don`t you use the gritty stuff or something similar? That stuff gets super hot, see Klaus` recent post on temps, which increases the need for water greatly.

Sometimes I don`t see my plumeria for days and they are in the yard lol! When I`m on a stretch working I barely pay attention.
    Tally Ho!

• No-Clue
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Pharaoh - after reading all the replies I'm convinced I'm way under watering. So I hope to correct that starting this week. Thank you!

Lonnie - that's pretty hot! But we're not much far behind sometimes in temps. I guess my micro-climate is quite different from other S CA locations. I wish I have dappled shade after 2pm because our afternoon sun is so intense! :( Hopefuly watering more will help.

Beachplant - I only have a few pots in the gritty mix. I had only tried it once and it was too much physical labor for me to handle so I stopped. Those in the gritty mix get watered every 2-3 days. The ones in 1 gallons are watered twice a week. It's the 5 Gal (which most of my plumeria are in) and up that get watered once a week. So I will have to increase watering accordingly. Will report the results later. Thanks!

• printmaster1 (DFW TX)
    10 years ago

Tally, yes we did get the cool front yesterday. They predict night time temps in the mid sixties this week!!!!
    Never seen this in July before, but not complaining!!!

Next week we'll be back at 105.

Lonnie

• Lnorigb
    10 years ago

I wish my discoloured leaves were the sun's fault. I think it's just bugs, I still keep my two CL rescue's segregated from the pack cos I can't seem to get rid of them. New leaves seem healthy enuf. However, of my healthy pack, No-Clue's all organic, beautiful baby has yellowing spotted leaves since our 'heat wave.' (anything above 75*-77* is HOT!) I fertigated her and hope for an improvement.