Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
plumeriapusher

Sundance

Kimo
10 years ago

Ok this is more a poll regarding Sundance. Marilynn's Gardens, Bud and people in Texas use to collect, and or sell her, but as of the past years I have not seen many people talking about her or for that matter on any list for sale even at the San Diego Plumie Society Cutting or Plant sale.
So do you all feel that she is obsolete, unpopular, fading away?
I personally have her listed as one of my favorites for her colors and veining and her profuse blooming habit??

Here is a pic of her from couple seasons ago, always a stunner in my book, what about yours?

Comments (34)

• mimalf
    10 years ago

It is absolutely spectacular. Looking almost unreal. Love it. What does she smell like?

This post was edited by SagoLover on Sat, Jun 29, 13 at 0:57

• Kimo
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hey Sagolover,
    She has a spicy scent, not typical sweet frangipani. Since I buy my plumies for visuals not smell she is one of my favs..
    Thanks

• mimalf
    10 years ago

Spicy is interesting. I love spicy scents.

Mima

• DelWH
    10 years ago

It's a beautiful flower, and pretty large. Looks great to me. Nice veining.

• chuy415
    10 years ago

Wow- amazing !! So beautiful. Thanks for sharing! To be honest- I had never heard of it.

Chuy

• Kimo
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hey thanks...
    See thats my point Chuy, its kind of dropped off the radar with Iris Rock Sunset, I think the Thai Plumies eclipsed a lot of the really pretty old timers.
    I have a feeling that in the near future there may not be any resources for Sundance :(

• tdogdad
    10 years ago

gave mine to a neighbor for her yard.

• Kimo
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Bill,

What made you decide to give it away? This is my point, some how Sundance is losing favor in the plumie world....

• elucas101
    10 years ago

I just recently bought one! I had never seen it or heard about it before though so if the seller hadn't mentioned it I would have never known. I have never seen it for sale anywhere else. She mentioned it was (Emerson's) Sundance' - is that the same as the one you're referring to? If so, I wonder if Emerson would have thoughts as to why?

This post was edited by elucas101 on Sat, Jun 29, 13 at 10:00

• cointx
    10 years ago

I'm new to plumerias but I think it's very pretty. I really like the veining. How big are the flowers?

IMO New isn't always better!

elucas where did you purchase yours?

• maark23 TX/8a
    10 years ago

I think it's a very nice plant with beautiful flowers! I want one now! :o

Mark

• Andrew Scott
    10 years ago

Hi James. Now I personally really like that flower, and I would buy one if I knew where I could get a nice cutting. Question, if I do find one, should I be Looking for a grafted cutting versus a cutting that will need to be rooted? I guess my question is, Is it easy to root?

I actually bought Iris Rock Sunset from Hetty Ford last summer. I thought the flowers were awesome. I have a three tip cutting that I cannot wait to see the flowers on.

James, your question here makes me think of roses. So many people are into the newer disease resistant varieties. Or, varieties that produce better quality cut flowers. In general, I think when it comes to just about any flower, many of the original hybrids of flowers are just as nice, If not better sometimes, than the newer hybrids! I am glad to see that you have this variety still growing. I would love to see what other older varieties you are growing. It,'s almost like by keeping these older varieties, your keeping a piece of history growing!

Andrew

• Kimo
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hey Y'all,
    Sundance I think was originally brought in/discovered by Marilynn of Marillynns Gardens, who is friends with Bud Guillot. I mentioned that Bud Guillot aka Bud had it also, Emmerson is good friends with Bud, so basically they share with each other and have everything the other has.... Now that is a great plumie friendship :)
    So I think that is why it was very common in Tx also, not so much anywhere else.

The whole reason this thread was posted was because of a conversation a plumie friend and I had about Marilynns Gardens and her exclusive blue ribbon cultivars. Marilynn has to be in her 80s, has suffered many losses in her family and in her plumie nursery due to her location (frost). With the loss of Marilynns husband who helped her run the nursery (potting, watering, spraying, etc.) and deliver plumies to their commercial accounts like Rolling Greens, Rogers Gardens, Armstrong, Bobs Nursery, Parkview Nursery,Savon Tustin etc etc, her business was slightly diminished. Marilynns nephew, some plumie people from So Coat and So Cal Plumie Society may have known him Joel Cuttler, helped Marilynn with the business, but even with his help she never really got back to where she was. After a short period of time seems like couple of years (maybe 3yrs or 4), Joel also got sick with cancer and passed. So basically Marilynn has resorted to a small, almost cottage industry nursery. Most of the nurseries that Mariynn use to sell to no longer carry her varieties. Since Sundance was one of her "Blue Ribbon" exclusives I have a feeling that is why its not in circulation...sad.

With the feed back that has been posted by y'all, only 1 other person has seen or heard of Sundance. I am sure a lot of old timers have or heard of Sundance.

• No-Clue
    10 years ago

James,

Don't kill me but I am happy to say she doesn't do anything for me. Happy because I seldom see a plumeria that I don't feel the overwhelming desire to possess. And with limited space this is a good thing!

This one I have passed up on many times. I don't know why but she just doesn't do it for me. Not so much the colors but the shape maybe?

• No-Clue
    10 years ago

James,

STOP IT!! Don't tempt me! I just spent 3 hrs this morning watering/fertilizing and trimming my plants. I'm so tired now. I am thinking I must bring my plumeria count down to 50. It's getting to be too much work for me in the heat! :(

Now if all my 50 are blooming then I wouldn't feel the need to buy more. But alas no such luck!

How about this? I'll be settle w/ AB, Lolo's Red and Hilo Beauty. ;) LOL

• Kimo
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Lynn,
    you shouldn't go out unless its early AM or later in the evening. Where my patch is there are watering restrictions. Luckily the old man that waters my plumies is a early riser, usually there by 6 or 7am. I usually do not even wake up till 9am or 10am, so when I use to water Id do the evening, like after 4pm or so.
    You may also be babying your plumies too much, sometimes when you do not watch them/focus on them too much they perform better.

• Kimo
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Andrew,
    I just saw your post, sorry about that wasnt ignoring you.
    As for Sundance, Its actually similar to Iris Rock Sunset and I know Hetty has Sundance also. If not Emmersron sells it sometimes and BNJ, and I know Sonia use to have it but you never know if one of her many winter frosts got to it. I know Sonia has lost many one of a kind varieties due to the cold, some of the 1 of kinds I got from her I still have like Red Dusk, JJ's Thai Peach, etc, etc, as the cold never really gets to my patch..

It is sad when so many old time cultivars disappear, not just plumies in Gardening period. I agree with you about the roses as the new roses that are hybrids have had the scent hybridized out of them. I guess you get something and you lose something..

I am putting a link to BNJ's Sundance page where its 45.00 for rooted cutting.
    Even when you could find Sundance, I do not think it was well known or that common even back in the day.

Cheers

Here is a link that might be useful: BNJ Sundance page

This post was edited by freak4plumeria on Sat, Jun 29, 13 at 23:11

• tropicalzone7
    10 years ago

Beautiful blooms. I really like the complexity of the colors on it (and the flowers look like they are a pretty nice size!) I've never heard of Sundance before, it's sad that they aren't really in circulation anymore.
    Thanks for sharing!
    -Alex

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    10 years ago

Hi James,

I have heard of Sundance before and i Love it!!!

You re so right about the "classics.." I remember when i first fell for these beauties. I remember reading posts from a great lady ( may she rest in peace..) Karen B. She would post such wonderful threads about the great trees and i would right down as many as i could. She is why i wanted and bought "Henry Apples Dupree" Not for the scent and or beauty, but for the reason it was given to him. I am very sentimental about the classics and i dont want to see them dissapear either. I also would love to have a Mary Helen Eggenberger too! Many other classics. I need to find the list and add more names.

We seem to want what we see in the new cataloges and not remember the old true classics. The one that has been around and i am so happy to see it is Elizabeth Thornton Lemon Drop. What a beauty!! I have inflos on all tips right now..

Sundance is a stunner in my opinion and i also go for beauty as well as fragrance. But.. if it isnt fragrant, but has the beauty and charm.. i am in!! ;-)

Thanks for addressing this.. i love to see a continued list of the classics for the new people here to search and see.

Bill turned me on to Lani.. that is one that will always be a winner in my book!! "LOVE LANI!!!"

Great Thread!!!

CHEERS!!!

Laura

• tdogdad
    10 years ago

James- it just never rocked me and after a few years I needed the space for something else. Luckily it is just down the street if I want to get one back sometime.

• No-Clue
    10 years ago

Same as Bill... because I know I can always find her if I really want to so there is no sense of urgency for me.

Laura - I had no idea Henry Apple Dupree and Mary Helen Eggenberger are classics! I just got them because I love the fragrance. I do love both and they are keepers in my book since both will bloom again for me this summer. :)

• cointx
    10 years ago

I would love to see a list of the classics from those of you who have been collecting for a long time.

I'm new to collecting and really appreciate all the great information from this forum.

This post was edited by cointx on Sun, Jun 30, 13 at 21:57

• Kimo
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Ill start a new thread titlled classic old timers and we can go from there.

Cheers

• jandey1
    10 years ago

I've heard of it before, but you're right that it isn't in circulation much. It's been tempting for me, too, with the size, color and veining.

They had it for sale at the PSA sale last month, can't remember who, though.

"Old Classics" thread is a good idea! Lots of newbies won't be aware of which ones are the best proven varieties.

• printmaster1 (DFW TX)
    10 years ago

Here's a Sundance.
    Taken at John's last year.
    Needless to say, I came home with one.

Lonnie

This post was edited by printmaster on Mon, Jul 1, 13 at 9:01

• beachplant
    10 years ago

Curses! I`ll have to check with Emerson next time I go that way and see if he has any.

Tally HO!

• Dave in NoVA • N. Virginia • zone 7A
    10 years ago

Well, it is nice.

Of course if you're going to sell plumerias seriously, you must market them.

Catchy and memorable names are critical.

Complete descriptions of flowers - size, frangrance, color (changeability with temperature), petal substance, overlap of petals, etc. as well as plant habit (compact, vigorous, etc.) are details so many sites are sorely lacking.

Compact and/dwarf varieties are in style, as are mottled color combinations. Anything 'Thai' seems to be in style.

It seems we've been bombarded with so many new cultivars as well -- many from Thailand growers, since EBay and PayPal have made these transactions much easier. Of course Thailand is exploiting this opportunity! But people want what is NEW and supposedly improved. The oldies-but-goodies are getting lost in the stampede.

Also, keep in mind that many websites only show a photo of one bloom -- sometimes a small cluster. This flower of yours may not have the sex appeal being shown as a single flower (not much petal overlap, etc.). But, like you say you have to appreciate the whole plant in full bloom.

If you want people to purchase it online, you'd really have to give a complete description of the plant, and why it's so special, which I think you did in this thread, but you'd never see that much written on a vendor's site, sad to say.

This is where Florida color's site could really use some help. BB&B is a bit better. Maui Plumeria Gardens, not so good.

• joanr
    10 years ago

James,

I got a Sundance last year from Eulas & Lake Stafford and the PSA sale in Clear Lake and it bloomed beautiful for me. I guess I didn't think of it as a classic. I just knew that when I saw it blooming in their garden I fell in love with it. So when they had a nice size one for sale, I "had" to buy it. And you are correct, it is a beautiful plummie that I don't think is appreciated as much as some others are.

If anyone is going to the PSA sale in Rosenberg, there possibly may be some for sale there.

Joan

• plumygirl
    10 years ago

All the photos of Sundance are amazing! I'm down to just one and will try to get a couple more from the original seller. You guys are right as this one and many of the "oldies but goodies" seem to have been lost in the parade of the up and coming ones. Magnum Opus is an old favorite but you hardly hear the name any longer.

I'm just crossing fingers for the Sundance!

• remarksplease
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Although this is an older thread I just discovered, I wanted to say I got 'Sundance' in Victoria, TX in 2004 and with protection and chopping on her, she is still growing strong.

• PRO
    the_first_kms2
    7 years ago

Nice work.

• AnVu - zone8TX
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

I'm so glad I found this thread. Thanks Kimo for started it. I've looked for a long time to see if any cultivar that look alike mine. I think I found it. I love this flower.

Now I think I even have a pod

Sometime it glow in the evening

• Bill Kent
    7 years ago

I have a rooted cutting of sundance that I purchased from plumeria hut just recently, maybe give them a try.

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor