Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mjhuntingtonbeach

What's blooming for me now

Right now my Typhoon, Thornton's Lemon Drop, Jeannie Moragne, Wildfire, J105. I am expecting great things this summer.

Comments (25)

• mjhuntingtonbeach
    Original Author
    9 years ago

My Thornton's Lemon Drop

• mjhuntingtonbeach
    Original Author
    9 years ago

My Jeannie Moragne... very leggy plant, a landscape hog but gotta love those fragrant blooms. Faded colors with the cool marine layer, colors were really popping a few weeks ago during a heat wave.

• mjhuntingtonbeach
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The Jeannie Moragne during a heat wave last month, 20 degrees hotter, quite a difference.

• mjhuntingtonbeach
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Wildfire

• mjhuntingtonbeach
    Original Author
    9 years ago

A close up of Wildfire

• mjhuntingtonbeach
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Cool weather, not as vibrant but beautiful

• rox146
    9 years ago

You have a lovely collection. they all look great! roxanne

• jandey1
    9 years ago

Your Typhoon is to die for! And I even love Wildfire when it's pale--gorgeous!

• texasplum
    9 years ago

hope one day my wildfire will look like that! thanks for sharing

• PRO
    the_first_kms2
    9 years ago

beautiful. Its amazing how different Jeannie can be.

• Pharaoh4
    9 years ago

You plumies look fantastic! It's also impressive that your Jeannie doesn't look out of control in regards to height.

Are the planted in native soil or do you amend it?? If so, what do you use? How often do you water and if you fertilize, what kind do you use?

Thanks,
    Tony

• mjhuntingtonbeach
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Tony,

I put them in the local alluvial sediment, in ground that had grass clippings in it. So it is silty, heavy soil but well drained. I may have added some amendment when I planted them last year but not too much, but heavily mulch with grass clippings when I can. Once every 5-6 weeks during growing season I throw a few handfuls of 15-15-15 on the ground.

The Jeannie Moragne is getting out of control. It was in a 10 gallon when I planted it but now it stretches maybe 8 feet from side to side but not many branches.... debating replacing it with a more compact landscape friendly variety next year.

Watering is about once a week, a good soak. Doesn't rain here from April to November so I have to if I want growth.

Attached is a picture of the JM, excuse the weeds, I was saving seeds from some arugula that was growing there in the winter.

Mike

• mjhuntingtonbeach
    Original Author
    9 years ago

and here is the TLD

• plumerias_lover
    9 years ago

Would you mind to let me know where you're living? I live in the central coast California. My plumerias are way far behind yours. I'd like to follow your growing method, but not sure about the climate. Your plumerias are very impressive!

Thanks,
    Chintana

• texasplum
    9 years ago

That JM is going crazy with blooms! Thanks for the pics and whatever your doing your doing it right!

• maark23 TX/8a
    9 years ago

Great blooms! Amazing trees you have there!

Mark

• mjhuntingtonbeach
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Chintana, I live in Orange County south of LA near the coast where temps are always mild. This past winter was warmer than any I remember, probably why my trees are off to an early start. I'd guess you have cooler weather in the central coast and therefore later to see growth in tropical plants. Good luck with your plumeria.

Mike

• mjhuntingtonbeach
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Chintana, I live in Orange County south of LA near the coast where temps are always mild. This past winter was warmer than any I remember, probably why my trees are off to an early start. I'd guess you have cooler weather in the central coast and therefore later to see growth in tropical plants. Good luck with your plumeria.

Mike

• mjhuntingtonbeach
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Mike

• moonie_57 (8 NC)
    9 years ago

Mike - your trees are wonderful!

But I have a question... do you eat arugula in salads or how? I can not seem to acquire a taste for it yet I keep wanting to grow it every year

• Pharaoh4
    9 years ago

Mike,
    How is Pretty Princess doing??

• Andrew Scott
    9 years ago

Hi Mike. Is your first photo the 'Typhoon'? I would love to get this someday but it comes with a pretty heavy price tag, and I am not sure if it is worth it for me or not.

When you say that your temps have been cooler, exactly where have your temps been? I live in western NY, and we rarely see temps in the nineties. Usually July and August temps are in the mid to high 80's. This year we seem to be warming up much faster. I am just keeping my fingers crossed that these temps will continue to warm up for me. If not, I will have quite a few faded blooms.

Andrew

• mjhuntingtonbeach
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Moonie,

I love arugula, it has a nice bitter/peppery flavor that is great. It self seeds for me so I always seem to have some around. Normally I have it in salads, I make a lemon juice/mustard/garlic vinaigrette, toss in some feta cheese and some sprinkling of Parmesan, add some chicken, it's very tasty. Not sure I'd enjoy it as much without the lemon dressing, as that for me complements the peppery taste of arugula perfectly.

Pharaoh4 - The Pretty Princess took off much better this year - last year was the first year in ground after languishing for 5 years in a pot. The first flowrs will be open anytime and I am hoping for great things. Will post flowers when I have some pictures.

Andrew, coastal southern california means May-mid July with overcast mornings, highs in the low-mid 70's, evenings low 60's, Aug-Sept high 70's with some days in the mid-high 80's but nights 65-70, and then a cool down from there. But we do have bursts of Santa Ana winds that can get the temps up into the 90's and evenings in the 70's that last for a week or so and then the colors really come out.

• Andrew Scott
    9 years ago

Thanks Mike for your response. I am trying to get an idea of what I can expect in terms of how vivid/faded my blooms will be. John from Jungle Jacks told me that I should have good coloration because we have more humidity in New York State.

I have 3 plumeria that have new inflos and buds. My JJ Orange, JJ Taj Mahol, and the last also a JJ but the name slips my mind at the moment. Anyhow, most of the real vivid, bright colored flowers that I have seen on my trees were a result of them growing under light, with the exception of Kauka Wilder.

I should have a better idea of what to expect after this season. I really do appreciate you help and thanks again for your response. I have been wanting a JJ Typhoon for some time and after seeing your pictures, I now think I could also have nice colored flowers!

Andrew

• tamela_star
    9 years ago

You have such a beautiful plumeria garden!

Sponsored
Native Plant Scapes
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
Your Friendly Native Plant Landscape Designers in Loudoun County