Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mjhuntingtonbeach

Thornton's Lemon Drop

The whole tree

Comments (11)

• jandey1
    9 years ago

Mike, is that in-ground? Mine is very low on inflos this year and I wonder if it's because it's in a pot. Such a water hog in the pot, too!

• rox146
    9 years ago

The one last year I almost lost in a pot, I put in the ground in March. All the 6 tips are in bloom now but one....love it! roxanne

• mjhuntingtonbeach
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yes, I put that TLD in the ground last year in March. It's really taking off, should be covered with blooming inflos in another few weeks. I can post a picture then.

• texasplum
    9 years ago

wow!! cant wait to add this one to my list! still trying to find a decent sized one.

• jandey1
    9 years ago

Texasplum, where are you in TX? You could try contacting citizeninsane on the forum (George H.). He had some nice size ones available before the sale.

• plumtx
    9 years ago

I am having a hard time knowing how often to water. Mine are all in containers. These wonderful plants appear happy no matter what, but I am afraid too little water will cause stress and less blooming. Jen - does your TLD seem to take more water than others? How often are you watering this time of year?

• texasplum
    9 years ago

Jandey,

Yes maam I did but he sold them all at the sale. I bet they didn't last long! I live in Liberty Hill about 30 min north of Austin. Thank you for the help though.
    Shane

• jandey1
    9 years ago

Yes, TLD is a water hog! That's why I wondered if they would do better in the ground than a pot. Someone else has mentioned that on this forum. I notice branch wrinkling on mine within 3 or 4 days of a deep watering so I'm watering every 3 or 4 days.

Shane, there may be someone around here that has a big tree to spare at some point. Don't give up! There's always the next sale in Rosenburg in July, too.

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    9 years ago

Hi Mike!!

Love your ETLD !! She sure is a beauty and looks like she is loving it in the ground!!!

All of my trees are so thirsty right now.. I have been watering every other day here in Virginia. Temps yesterday were in the mid 90's. I just checked my trees and they were thirsty again!!

Thanks for sharing!!!

Laura

• moonie_57 (8 NC)
    9 years ago

Laura - you must have missed out on all those storms yesterday. Of course they came after I had already watered. :)

Very nice, Mike. Maybe I should put mine in the ground until fall.

• mjhuntingtonbeach
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Laura, moonie.

yes, in a few weeks the TLD should be covered with flowers from top to bottom, definitely seems to like it in the ground. Not bad for a 3 1/2 year old that started as a cutting from a tree that got split in two in Sept 2010. But strangely the growth seems kind of weak, prone to breaking off. But until something new breaks off I'm enjoying the blooms :)

So Laura, did i hear something about you coming out west around the time of JJ's open house?

Mike

Sponsored
Michael Nash Design, Build & Homes
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars254 Reviews
Northern Virginia Design Build Firm | 18x Best of Houzz