Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pharoah_gw

Fertilizer - What is everyone using this year?

pharoah
12 years ago

I'm always interested in finding out what people use to feed their Plumies. Years ago, high phosphorus (over 50) seemed to be the only way to go. Now it seems many are using a balanced fertilizer such as 14-14-14. On the FC website it is stated that Plumeria require a fertilizer low in Phosphorus such as 4-1-4...yet newly rooted cuttings get a 10-30-10.

So....what's everyone using this year? Also, what did you use last season and did you get good results??

Tony

Comments (13)

• tdogdad
    12 years ago

I kick off with sulpo mag and worm castings. I follow with Dr. Earth #8 organic 4-10-7 and when the leaves come I foliar with spray n grow with Bill's perfect organic 6-11-5 and coco wet. This has been good for me. Bill

• ladyver
    12 years ago

Bill, I basically do the same thing that you do with good results, but I'm beginning to wonder about my choice of Dr. Earth #8.....for a week or two my whole yard smells like something died in it. In fact, when I first started using it I spent hours combing through the yard for a rat, only to find it was Dr. Earth! How do you get around that awful smell?

• tdogdad
    12 years ago

What smells bad to us smells great to your plants. Work it into the soil to cut the smell. I also noticed that ground squirrels like to roll in it. The fact is that it works. Oh, if you don't like the smell, for sure don't soak some in thirty gallons of water for several days for a drench because that really smells intense. You might be using too much. Bill

• pharoah
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for sharing. This year I'm about 95% organic and it seems to be the way to go. Everything looks great!'

Tony

• ladyver
    12 years ago

Thanks Bill! My first 50lbs bag of the stuff didn't smell as bad as the current bag I have. I didn't have 30 gallons of drench, but I had 15 gallons of the drench in my garage for a week. It bubbled and did its thing but the smell wasn't half as bad as what I've sprinkled on top of my pots this season. Methinks they might have gone crazy on the fish bone meal in my batch. You're right, the regimen definitely works. I'm having a banner year (though slow to start). Sonja

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    12 years ago

I have used just about everything...Superbloom...Dr Earth's and others....this year im using Foliage Pro!!
    I really like it...easy to use...and the trees seen to be very happy...

Hope this helps...

Laura in VB

• mauitom61
    12 years ago

I've JUST started using Jobe's Organic Knockout Rose Food(3-4-3). I wanted to move away from the chemical and into organic and this seemed to be the best I could find at my local Home Depot. I like that it's loaded with all kinds of beneficial bacteria and fungus. I'm anticipating happier plumies. :)
    Tom

• tropicalzone7
    12 years ago

Right now Im using Big Bud Bloom Booster (0-1-3). I'm not sure if its working or not, but I fed my plumerias about 2 weeks ago and now Im seeing some inflos forming on some of them, so I wonder if its the fertilizer or just a coincidence? Either way, Im happy!
    Usually I dont fertilizer my plumerias much if at all, so Im not sure if Im using the right fertilizer or not.
    -Alex

• labland
    12 years ago

I have noticed a bit of a smell from Dr. earth, but what I REALLY noticed is one of my labs (Jake the clown) tries to eat it out of the pot!!! So I have to make sure to mix it well with the soil of the pots that the dog can get to. It worries me that he wants to eat it. Not sure if it is dangerous for him to eat, so I don't take any chances!

• powderpuff
    12 years ago

Labland, I know what you mean. Mine try to get to Bonemeal. I have to make sure it is completely out of their reach.

• powderpuff
    12 years ago

I have used Dyna-Gro for years. I use the 7-9-5, Bloom, Mag Pro 2-15-4 and Pro-Tekt. Pro-Tekt helps them withstand our intense sun.
    I also alternate with others:
    Roots Organic Extreme Serene( great for newly rooted cuttings)
    Roots Organic Buddha Bloom
    Fish Emulsion 2-4-0
    Bill's Perfect Fertilizer
    Spray and Grow
    Coco Wet to use as a sticker
    Hawaiian Bud and Bloom( I use this very sparingly and only once in a while in early or mid summer
    Grow More Seaweed Extract( LOVE THIS STUFF)

• vikrantsingh
    12 years ago

Is MPK good for frangipani

• Carol love_the_yard (Zone 9A Jacksonville, FL)
    11 years ago

Pharoah wrote "On the FC website..."

I think FC = Florida Colors.

Here is a link that might be useful: Florida Colors Nursery

Sponsored
HEMAX Construction Services & Landscaping, LLC
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars34 Reviews
Innovative & Creative Landscape Contractors Servicing VA