Return to the Plumeria Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How close do you plants plumerias in a planter?

Posted by labland Inland Valley CA9 (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 8, 12 at 1:42

I recently gave 4 of my plumerias to my sister in law. As a result, I need to replant some of my potted trees into my planter. Currently my plumeria are planted 4' apart.in my planter... More or less,.

Today I was looking through my plumeria pix, I was looking closely at Bill's planter in his back yard. It looks to me like you (Bill) have your trees closer together.

Wen I think how I line one pot up next to another, it seems to me I could plant them closer together, but I don't want to mess things up.

I am curious how close together Bill and others with planters place their plumerias. I wouldn't mind planting mine closer together (give me more room for more cuttings. :-)!!!). Now is your time to respond. How close do you plant your plumies everyone?

So far I only have one inflo open, possibly a Celadine, although a noid, seems like smaller flowers though. My Dwarf Singapore Pink is next to open (probably by tomorrow, next to open is my Samoan Fluff for the first time (bought last year at the Spring Garden Show). So much fun this time of year when the blossoms are all starting to develop and fun to watch the race of who will open next!! If only for the June Gloom, one day hot, next day cool!! Soon I will be complaining about the heat!

Happy blooming! Jennifer in La Verne

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How close do you plants plumerias in a planter?

Jen- mine are about 3 feet but that takes staking and tying the branches to keep the plants narrow. Plants left unchecked may spread up to 10 feet. I would say that four to five feet is easier to manage if you are leaving them in the ground and growing them for years. Also the variety can dictate the growth habits. Cerise, some of the moragnes, cooktown sunset,etc. are longer and lanky grower that do not spread out as much as others. Plants that grow short amounts per year tend to be wider with more branches (ie. Lemon drop, Celadine, psycho, etc.) Some, like Guillots sunset just grow every which way and dominate a planter. Hope this helps.

o
RE: How close do you plants plumerias in a planter?

• Posted by labland Inland Valley CA9 (My Page) on
    Sat, Jun 9, 12 at 0:17

Bill,

mahalo! That is what I needed to hear. I see what you mean about Guillots Sunset. You gave me a large cutting last year, and a short one. I planted them both in one large pot (together). The plant is HUGE! No inflos yet this year (but I am still hoping). The tree has the most leaves of all of my other varieties, other than my Singapore Whites before they lost all of their leaves.

The picture you had sent me of you backyard shows one planter ( at least it looks like a planter, rocks on the outside, set in cement?) and it looked like they were closer. Pictures can be decieving!

I will look closely at the plants I am moving into the planter and see how they are maturing. I am planning on putting my Princess Victoria in the planter, and it seems to be somewhat upright grower... Longer trunk and first branching. This year I seem to have inflos on all the branches, so it will be interesting to watch.

Thanks again. I will post before and after pix... Hopefully tomorrow I will replant all the ones I need to into the planter. Jen

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumeria Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here