Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
plumeriapusher

First Inflos in Cool Weather.

Kimo
10 years ago

Finally got to my patch on Tues, needed to get a present for a B Day present and meet a contractor. I keep the weather on my computer set to my patch so I can check every couple hours, also have one of my cities on my Iphone Weather set to the patch. For the past 2 weeks there has been off and on dense June Gloom, temps averaging from 68 to 75. When I went to my patch it stated that the weather was @ a high of 78 for that day, today it went down to 75 and sunny. Supposedly there is a heat wave this weekend where temps will be about 84 in my patch, cant wait as it should do wonders for my plumies.

Even though I have a ton of inflos many of the plants leaves have not really done a lot of growing, or filled out. There were some inflos full on blooming but most where spares.
I had my cousin who is my property manager go up the ladder to take pics as some of the flowers were 8ft to 9ft plus high and I have a bad knee. I noticed this season the early inflos are shorter and stiff/brittle so many of the infos that were high up, even with the ladder snapped off.
My Musk Rainbow and Ca Sally inflo did not look that good so I did not bother to take a pic of them for now.

My Aurora Borealis with her red streaks blooming. Because of the cold temps and gloom her colors are not correct, but she never stays consistent other than the red streaks every season:

The 3" tip with the inflo snapped off, so sad. Poked it in the pot and cut the inflo offf:

Lolo's Big Red...Flowers are true Blue based Red with almost a velvet like visual when you see her, can get up to 4 to 5":

Steopetalla just starting:

Guillots info on tree and snapped off:

Purple Jack just starting:

Puu Kahea firs flower:

Sariah's Curly Pink Seed Pod:

University Hawaii Orange (looking yellow and leaves just starting) with Emmersons Pink Nova blowing up:

Close up of 1 of the UHO inflos:

Close up of Emmersons P. N:

Sherbert Town from Thailand...Usually looks Orange/Red/Yellow and veiny/grainy:

Penang Peach..was the first to flower this year (taken at ground level with zoom):

San Miguel:

India...inflo snapped off:

Golden Pagoda on tree and snapped off:

Thortons Lemon Drop:

Bouquet of snapped off inflos... Aurora, Golden Pagoda, Guillots Sunset, India:

Also not plumie related, but I put a Manilla Mango aka Champagne Mango ree along with the plumies to act as a tree wall to add privacy between my 2 apartment complexes. Tons of Mangos all over the tree, they actually are not that large, but they are golden yellow and super sweet and not string.

This post was edited by freak4plumeria on Thu, Jun 27, 13 at 17:09

Comments (17)

• chuy415
    10 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Wow!! Amazing blooms!! So jealous. You're in heaven :)

Chuy

• Dave in NoVA • N. Virginia • zone 7A
    10 years ago

OK, really nice photos.

But what's with all the snapped off inflos?

Is that from a weakness in the plant?

Or were you trying to pull them down to sniff them??

• Kimo
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hey Dave,
    I am not a sniffer., do not smell plumies because of my asthma. I think because of the cooler weather the inflos are stiff/brittle and were high up on the trees. My cousins the one who was up the ladder and snapped the inflos by accident.
    As the trees were large there are many more inflos, just not in bloom yet except for India.

• cbadcali
    10 years ago

Hi James. I think your cousin wanted those beautiful blooms in his house so they "accidentally" snapped off. My kids used the same line when they were little. Everything was "accidential". Accident or not, they are drop dead gorgeous. What are you fertilizing them with, if you don't mind sharing. I agree the June gloom this year has really slowed the plumeria growth.

Thanks again for the beautiful pictures. Mary

• Kimo
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Cbad,
    Thanks...No, it was an accident. I actually threw the cup with the inflos in the dumpster as the smell would congest my sinuses.

Thank again :)

• No-Clue
    10 years ago

Wow James! You're so lucky to have so many blooming already. I'm still waiting patiently for something to bloom for me.

You are right... UHO is indeed pretty pale in our climate. But India is beautiful! However, the two that just blow me away are Lolo's Red and Aurora Borealis. What beauties!

And I can't believe how calm you are with all those inflos snapping off! I would be crying buckets by now. :( Wish I was living closer, those flowers would have looked lovely in my Lei vase instead of the garbage can. You stinker you!

• cointx
    10 years ago

Beautiful! I can't imagine what they will look like with some heat.

I'm with No-Clue I would be crying a river losing the inflos!

Thanks for sharing your blooms. I will keep watching for more pictures.

This post was edited by cointx on Fri, Jun 28, 13 at 3:26

• rox146
    10 years ago

WOW!!!!! so gorgeous and you have some real collectibles there....roxanne

• jandey1
    10 years ago

James, with your email and my email both being so unreliable, I just wanted to let you know I got something REALLY sweet in the mail today. ;-)

It's an incredible collection of mature trees you have. Emerson's PN is giving fantastic color despite the cool weather, a good choice for your area!

Thank you for always being so willing to share your knowledge and plants. I appreciate your thoughtfulness very much!!

Jen

• Lnorigb
    10 years ago

Flowers in the bin?!?! next time give my a shout and i'll come rescue them. Promise, I'll be right there.

• Lnorigb
    10 years ago

/duplicate post/

This post was edited by Lnorigb on Thu, Jun 27, 13 at 23:14

• Lnorigb
    10 years ago

Flowers in the bin?!?! next time give my a shout and i'll come rescue them. Promise, I'll be right there.

• dthrooop
    10 years ago

Very nice photos and so many blooms from so many varieties! Thank you very much for sharing.

It's also very interesting to see how temperature and sunlight can modify the color\intensity of the blooms showcasing another interesting characteristic of the plumeria. It's supposed to be even warmer tomorrow!

Cheers!
    Dan

• dourbest
    10 years ago

Beautiful! Thank you for sharing those pictures and your knowledge with us new to plumeria.

Ellie...

• mimalf
    10 years ago

Beautiful pictures, gorgeous blooms, great collection!

Mima

• beachplant
    10 years ago

Even in the dreary weather they are gorgeous! Thanks for sharing.

I have to laugh at a heat wave with a temp of 84 though. The heat index was 99 and the temp 87 when I came in to work, at 0600.
    Tally HO!

• Kimo
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you everyone for such nice compliments :)
    I am sure everyone will be having a plumie bonanza this summer.
    When the heat and sun gets really going next month I am sure there will be tons of other varieties blooming.

BeachP,
    OMG @ 6:00am? Amazing!! I am not a heat person. In college I lived in Woodland Hills, it would get temps of 114 during the day in summer then drop to maybe 90 or so at night... I can only imagine your electric bill.

Thanks again everyone
    Cheers