Return to the Plumeria Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
First Inflos in Cool Weather.

Posted by freak4plumeria So CA zone 10 (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 27, 13 at 2:24

Finally got to my patch on Tues, needed to get a present for a B Day present and meet a contractor. I keep the weather on my computer set to my patch so I can check every couple hours, also have one of my cities on my Iphone Weather set to the patch. For the past 2 weeks there has been off and on dense June Gloom, temps averaging from 68 to 75. When I went to my patch it stated that the weather was @ a high of 78 for that day, today it went down to 75 and sunny. Supposedly there is a heat wave this weekend where temps will be about 84 in my patch, cant wait as it should do wonders for my plumies.

Even though I have a ton of inflos many of the plants leaves have not really done a lot of growing, or filled out. There were some inflos full on blooming but most where spares.
I had my cousin who is my property manager go up the ladder to take pics as some of the flowers were 8ft to 9ft plus high and I have a bad knee. I noticed this season the early inflos are shorter and stiff/brittle so many of the infos that were high up, even with the ladder snapped off.
My Musk Rainbow and Ca Sally inflo did not look that good so I did not bother to take a pic of them for now.

My Aurora Borealis with her red streaks blooming. Because of the cold temps and gloom her colors are not correct, but she never stays consistent other than the red streaks every season:
Aurora Best photo IMG_2535_zpsc4cf12f6.jpg
The 3" tip with the inflo snapped off, so sad. Poked it in the pot and cut the inflo offf:
Aurora photo IMG_2536_zps6acf4c08.jpg

Lolo's Big Red...Flowers are true Blue based Red with almost a velvet like visual when you see her, can get up to 4 to 5":
 photo IMG_2109_zpsd2b259d1.jpg

Steopetalla just starting:
Stenopetla photo IMG_2537_zps6e97d090.jpg

Guillots info on tree and snapped off:
Guillots photo IMG_2538_zpsdf9d854c.jpg
Guillots Snapped off photo IMG_2539_zps6582d1ca.jpg

Purple Jack just starting:
Purple Jack photo IMG_2540_zpsc85f69ac.jpg

Puu Kahea firs flower:
Puu Kahea photo IMG_2542_zps0ca56343.jpg

Sariah's Curly Pink Seed Pod:
SCP Seed Pods photo IMG_2543_zpscd66ab8e.jpg

University Hawaii Orange (looking yellow and leaves just starting) with Emmersons Pink Nova blowing up:
UHO Emmersons Best photo IMG_2545_zps3eaecc5e.jpg
Close up of 1 of the UHO inflos:
UHO photo IMG_2554_zps6ed69489.jpg
Close up of Emmersons P. N:
Emmersons Pink Nova Close up photo IMG_2555_zpse7f08d04.jpg
Emmersons Pink Nova Close up photo IMG_2551_zpsba4c731e.jpg

Sherbert Town from Thailand...Usually looks Orange/Red/Yellow and veiny/grainy:
Sherbert Town photo IMG_2546_zps2b15f934.jpg

Penang Peach..was the first to flower this year (taken at ground level with zoom):
Penang Peach photo IMG_2549_zps122e0de3.jpg

San Miguel:
San Miguel 2 photo IMG_2558_zpsef22fdcd.jpg

India...inflo snapped off:
India photo IMG_2559_zpse94c95d6.jpg

Golden Pagoda on tree and snapped off:
Golden Pagoda 2 photo IMG_2562_zpsdd32d8f7.jpg
Golden Pagoda snapped off photo IMG_2565_zps2a704be6.jpg

Thortons Lemon Drop:
Best Thortons Lemon Drp photo IMG_2568_zpsadc0eb1a.jpg

Bouquet of snapped off inflos... Aurora, Golden Pagoda, Guillots Sunset, India:
Best Snapped off Inflo bouquet photo IMG_2570_zpsabca8598.jpg
Snapped off inflos hand photo IMG_2571_zps961e5d9d.jpg

Also not plumie related, but I put a Manilla Mango aka Champagne Mango ree along with the plumies to act as a tree wall to add privacy between my 2 apartment complexes. Tons of Mangos all over the tree, they actually are not that large, but they are golden yellow and super sweet and not string.
Manilla Mango photo IMG_2541_zpsb689656a.jpg

This post was edited by freak4plumeria on Thu, Jun 27, 13 at 17:09

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: First Inflos in Cool Weather.

Wow!! Amazing blooms!! So jealous. You're in heaven :)

Chuy

o

OK, really nice photos.

But what's with all the snapped off inflos?

Is that from a weakness in the plant?

Or were you trying to pull them down to sniff them??

o

Hey Dave,
I am not a sniffer., do not smell plumies because of my asthma. I think because of the cooler weather the inflos are stiff/brittle and were high up on the trees. My cousins the one who was up the ladder and snapped the inflos by accident.
As the trees were large there are many more inflos, just not in bloom yet except for India.

o

Hi James. I think your cousin wanted those beautiful blooms in his house so they "accidentally" snapped off. My kids used the same line when they were little. Everything was "accidential". Accident or not, they are drop dead gorgeous. What are you fertilizing them with, if you don't mind sharing. I agree the June gloom this year has really slowed the plumeria growth.

Thanks again for the beautiful pictures. Mary

o

Cbad,
Thanks...No, it was an accident. I actually threw the cup with the inflos in the dumpster as the smell would congest my sinuses.

Thank again :)

o

• Posted by No-Clue So Cal Zone 10 (My Page) on
    Thu, Jun 27, 13 at 22:20

Wow James! You're so lucky to have so many blooming already. I'm still waiting patiently for something to bloom for me.

You are right... UHO is indeed pretty pale in our climate. But India is beautiful! However, the two that just blow me away are Lolo's Red and Aurora Borealis. What beauties!

And I can't believe how calm you are with all those inflos snapping off! I would be crying buckets by now. :( Wish I was living closer, those flowers would have looked lovely in my Lei vase instead of the garbage can. You stinker you!

o

Beautiful! I can't imagine what they will look like with some heat.

I'm with No-Clue I would be crying a river losing the inflos!

Thanks for sharing your blooms. I will keep watching for more pictures.

This post was edited by cointx on Fri, Jun 28, 13 at 3:26

o

WOW!!!!! so gorgeous and you have some real collectibles there....roxanne

o

James, with your email and my email both being so unreliable, I just wanted to let you know I got something REALLY sweet in the mail today. ;-)

It's an incredible collection of mature trees you have. Emerson's PN is giving fantastic color despite the cool weather, a good choice for your area!

Thank you for always being so willing to share your knowledge and plants. I appreciate your thoughtfulness very much!!

Jen

o

Flowers in the bin?!?! next time give my a shout and i'll come rescue them. Promise, I'll be right there.

o

/duplicate post/

This post was edited by Lnorigb on Thu, Jun 27, 13 at 23:14

o

Flowers in the bin?!?! next time give my a shout and i'll come rescue them. Promise, I'll be right there.

o

Very nice photos and so many blooms from so many varieties! Thank you very much for sharing.

It's also very interesting to see how temperature and sunlight can modify the color\intensity of the blooms showcasing another interesting characteristic of the plumeria. It's supposed to be even warmer tomorrow!

Cheers!
Dan

o

Beautiful! Thank you for sharing those pictures and your knowledge with us new to plumeria.

Ellie...

o

Beautiful pictures, gorgeous blooms, great collection!

Mima

o

Even in the dreary weather they are gorgeous! Thanks for sharing.

I have to laugh at a heat wave with a temp of 84 though. The heat index was 99 and the temp 87 when I came in to work, at 0600.
Tally HO!

o

Thank you everyone for such nice compliments :)
I am sure everyone will be having a plumie bonanza this summer.
When the heat and sun gets really going next month I am sure there will be tons of other varieties blooming.

BeachP,
OMG @ 6:00am? Amazing!! I am not a heat person. In college I lived in Woodland Hills, it would get temps of 114 during the day in summer then drop to maybe 90 or so at night... I can only imagine your electric bill.

Thanks again everyone
Cheers

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumeria Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here