Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
plumeriapusher

Excellent rafted vs Ugly grafts

Kimo
10 years ago

Ok I am posting pics of some really good grafted plumies I have and my most ugly ones. I only have about 14 grafted plants, out of this 2 are impeccable grafted (Fantasia and Black Velvet), and couple of excellent (mostly from Luc Fl Colors) then FUGLY ones from Thailand:

Fantasia Graft and top pics:

Black Velvet from Singapore Impeccable graft:

Nice Graft from FCN:Musk Rainbow

Fugly Grafts:

So basically judge for yourself as what a bad graft and a nice one. If you get anything from Dr Kukiat then expect the best in quality.

Cheers

Comments (20)

• derft1
    10 years ago

Freak...I was reluctant to buy a grafted tree. This is my first and last grafted plumeria. Yes it is a Fantasia. Not all grafts are equal.

• Kimo
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Deft,
    Is the 2nd pic the back??? For a graft the seedling root rstock is matched perfectly with the Scion and the cuts look good, fits like a glove. I am just not sure with the back, is that a gap? Looks like your grafts took, in a couple of years you will not even see where the scion and rootstock fused aka grafting scar.

• mksmth zone 7a Tulsa Oklahoma
    10 years ago

I think I remember someone, maybe George or Bill, saying that it is perfectly ok to bury the graft below the soil to hide it.

mike

• citizen_insane
    10 years ago

Yes Mike, you can bury the grafts with no problems. The graft that derf1 showed is really bad because half the graft is rotted. I would wait till the plant blooms and splits and then I would take a nice cutting off the top and root it o make a nice new plant. This is what I do with ugly grafts from Thailand.

George

• derft1
    10 years ago

freak....Yes that is both sides of the graft. The black areas in pics on both sides are gaps. The one on the right is the deepest. I'm thinking of filling with DAP.

Mike...To high up to bury.

Fred

• mksmth zone 7a Tulsa Oklahoma
    10 years ago

Thanks George. I thought it was you who said it was ok.

mike

• Kimo
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Derft1
    I had a grafted Red Dusk that I purchased from a seller in Upland that had a gap that was much worse, actually was not a "V" graft, so as the plumie got older the gap got larger and made the scion and root stock look like they were going to slide off as it was an angle cut graft. I believe this was one of her first grafts she had done. I had the plant for 6 years and it performed super well and flowered like crazy till someone stole the darn thing, pot and all. Basically my point is that even though there is a gap, since the graft looks like it took and the plants growing there should not be a problem.
    If you look at my 2nd to the last pic, there is a huge crack/hole in the root stock of the Kasetsin that came from India. Ive had this plumie for about 7yrs or more and even with the ugly graft and hole its still kicking...

Oh and the grafted Red Dusk that I had that was stolen, where it looked like there was a gap and where it was sliding I had noticed before it was stolen that it looked like there were roots coming down from exposed Scion area...go figure....

• derft1
    10 years ago

George...That is my backup plan to re-root. Shaft is solid and does not feel rotted. Filled with Dap. Will wait and see and check everyday. Has inflo and leaves took a beating during packing and some are broken. Pretty disappointed as this was not cheap. Any advice would be appreciated.

Fred

• Kimo
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Fred,

When I received my Fantasia, because of being bare root and the shock of traveling and the colder temps all my leaves had fallen off. A lot of sellers actually remove all the leaves, I prefer and like when the leaves are on personally. The important parts are that the plants firm and the root stock and system is good. Your plant should put new leaves out pretty quickly. OMG is that an inflo I see??? That's a huge bonus...

This post was edited by freak4plumeria on Thu, Jun 27, 13 at 13:54

• citizen_insane
    10 years ago

Freak,
    grafts develop roots when the tip is exposed. In this picture birds landed on the scion and tilted it a little. Look at all the roots that developed at the tip. The scion acts like a cutting.

And make no mistake, looks are deceiving. Look at this graft how weak it looks from the outside.

Look at the cut-away view. The cut is solid wood! The graft is the strongest part on the whole plant.

These guys give grafted plants a bad name, Grafting is great and you can make weak plants into vigorous plants or rotters (like the Moragnes) and hard to root reds into nice plants. Properly done grafted plants are great.

George

• citizen_insane
    10 years ago

derf,
    cut all the lower leaves off. Leave only 3-4 newer leaves. The root system underwent a shock during shipment and needs time to recover. The plant will do better with less leaves to support.

George

• disneyhorse
    10 years ago

I guess we are discussing aesthetics versus successful grafting? Even if a graft isn't aesthetically pleasing, if it does its job then its good to me :)

• Kimo
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Disneyhorse,
    Yes it does do the job :) A grafted plant has a seedling/complete root system, which is much stronger and efficient than a conventionally rooted cutting, plus the root system of a cutting is not that same as it is minus the original tap root.

Cheers

• No-Clue
    10 years ago

Ok here are my grafted plants. You be the judge.

{{gwi:1170607}}Charlotte Ebert from Upland

{{gwi:1170609}}Charlotte Ebert

{{gwi:1170610}}Wildfire (maybe)

{{gwi:1170611}}Wildfire another view.

{{gwi:1170612}}Musk Rainbow

{{gwi:1170613}}New arrived Fantasia!

{{gwi:1170614}}So sad! :(

{{gwi:1170615}}Root ball size of my fist.

{{gwi:1170616}}Graft site

{{gwi:1170618}}Closeup

{{gwi:1170620}}Close up of the back

• Kimo
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Lynn,
    WOW.... That root system, looks like a fresh Ginsing root..lol
    Your graft, inflo and plant looks great!!! With that root system it should take off in a minute... Looks like you might see some blooms soon. Mazel tov!!

Cheers

• No-Clue
    10 years ago

Ok it does look like Ginseng! Lol. I don't think I have ever seen any root ball like that before but I hope that is a good one.

Maybe if I am lucky the left over inflo will bloom. That would be sweet!

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    10 years ago

WOW Lynn!!

The rootball looks wonderful!! Good Luck.. Please post pics when it blooms..

Fred,

It still looks looks good, however did you contact the seller? Maybe send a pic with your concerns? I would do this.. He is a very nice man and im sure he will make you feel better.. Give it a try?

Let us know..

Take care,

Laura

• No-Clue
    10 years ago

Thank you Laura,

I hope she will bloom for me too! So I will be sure to post when she does.

I also agree to contact seller. I have only bought from them twice but I have talked to them a few times and they are indeed very nice and very responsive. Please contact them and see what they have to say? Good luck.

• Kimo
    Original Author
    10 years ago

With any issues with plumies, I would always contact the seller first and give them a chance to respond or remedy an issue if there is one.
    Brad has an excellent rep amongst most plumie societies, other growers and people in general.

Good Luck
    Cheers

• Marioponce33
    10 years ago

Great photos of your grafts. I'm currently trying flat grafts with my plumeria and wanted to know if you or anyone else has images or has had success doing it thanks.

Sponsored
HEMAX Construction Services & Landscaping, LLC
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars34 Reviews
Innovative & Creative Landscape Contractors Servicing VA