Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rjcantor

Veracruz Rose Vs Miami Rose: Compare & Contrast

rjcantor
11 years ago

...............................................................................................VC.................. .................................. M

In terms of fragrance, both are rose, right?

How strong?

Compact, medium, skyscraper growth habit?

Freely flowering?

Forgiving of less than optimal climate?

Any other comments?

Thanks.

Comments (12)

• jandey1
    11 years ago

VCR is strong rose, Miami Rose is coconut/suntan lotion. Both are skyscrapers. I've heard VCR can be prone to black tip in some areas. Don't know more than that.

• Tropic_7
    11 years ago

Aloha R Cantor,
    Both plumeria are named with "Rose" in the name.

The "Vera Cruz Rose" is stunning not only on color, but in sweet rose sent, when in full bloom you will be able to notice it's fragrance out side in the yard. The Vera Cruz Rose grows upright and can reach 12 feet that I've seen. The flower is sturdy tight and handles well for making leis. Mine can take one or two nights in the high 30's with 50's during the day. Mine are planted in the ground and I'm in zone 9b. They are able to acquire "blacktip" easily where the end of the stalk can die. I've seen them grow new shoots other wise known as keikis at the end of the stalk giving you more branches rather than inflos or flowers.

The "Miami Rose", yes with "Rose" in the name is called that because of it's color that is more rose-like.
    This flower has a light fragrance of coconut/suntan lotion, with a floral undertone and a powerful bloomer in the right conditions. Less fragrant than the Vera Cruz varieties.
    The Miami Rose you have to put your nose close to smell it, for me anyway. This tree can reach heights over 20 feet tall!!! and has been a Florida favorite for over 50 years.
    More hardy than the Vera Cruz Rose, but rewarding in size and height. I have some growing in my yard and the neighbor 2 houses down has 3 20ft trees that mine came from.
    These trees can take colder temps because of their hardiness.

Hope this all helps? If your looking for best fragrance I'd go with the Vera Cruz Rose hands down!

Mahalos, Stuart

• Tropic_7
    11 years ago

Vera Cruze Rose

Miami Rose

• rjcantor
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks!

• rjcantor
    Original Author
    11 years ago

This is the LAST time I bring up something I want to bid on in Ebay. :)

• No-Clue
    11 years ago

Rcantor,

You got me curious so I went looking for the listing ending tonight and OUCH! It went up to $31 plus shipping! But don't feel bad someone bid up to $71 on another plant! Yikes... just be patience my friend... and try again next week?

Yeah I'm not going to announce what I want in case you guys bid against me! LOL

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    11 years ago

Hello EVeryone!!!

I was surprised to see Henry Apples Dupree go for either no bid..or 16.99. This is a great tree!

LOL.. i know what you mean about announcing what you likee...

But i will say that the fragrance on the Vera Cruz Rose is just wonderful!! You will be so pleased with the scent.

Miami Rose is a beauty as well, but not as fragrant as the VCR IMO.. The colors are both beauties..

Here are mine.

Miami Rose
    {{gwi:548598}}

Vera Cruz Rose

Good Luck!!

Both are beauties!!!

Laura

• rjcantor
    Original Author
    11 years ago

The cheapest I saw a rooted VCR elsewhere was $30 + shipping. If you PP me $5, I'll tell you where, all you lurkers!

• Minderella
    11 years ago

I have I think given up on ebay. I think it might be easier to go to a website and order what I want and not have to wonder if someone is going to outbid me in the last minute.

Mindy

• No-Clue
    11 years ago

Yeah Ebay can be tough... especially when people get all caught up on the bidding frenzy! Takes a lot of patience and discipline to not over bid!

What website do you order from Mindy? I am happy w/ my plants from JJ, but they are all Thai's. I need other varieties! :)

• rjcantor
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Brad's Buds & blooms and Maui Plumeria Gardens are good. If you contact Fuzzy (bloomingplumerias on ebay) he'll sell you things direct. I got a few from him that way. It's a lot better than waiting for things to come up on auction. BBB takes a long time to ship. Fuzzy gets you your plants almost the day you order them.

• Minderella
    11 years ago

I only have 2 cuttings. Lani's beauty I bought at a gardenfest but was from JustPlumeria and I bid on a pale pink one from a person on ebay (not the normal places). I still am afraid to buy anymore. I am off of work because I recently had to have surgery. I would love to find one with inflo or blooming. I just have leaves.

Mindy

Sponsored
Art Masonry Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars132 Reviews
Loudon County's Hardscape and Landscape Expert in Outdoor Living