Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
smileyprincess

Wrinkly Stem

SmileyPrincess
10 years ago

Hi Everyone!
I have been lurking around this forum, reading up on great information on how to grow this beautiful tree. After a recent trip to Hawaii, I decided I was going to grow the tropics in Vancouver, Canada. I bought a recent young cutting from a local nursery. I recently noticed the stem shrivelled and wrinkly. I have been keeping the soil as dry as possible, and only watered it when my water meter reads "dry". The stem is slightly soft, it is not completely firm. Im very worried! Please advise!

Comments (7)

• spiroan
    10 years ago

Hi Smiley,

I've only been growing a couple years, so I'll let the experts diagnose whether it is root rot/stem rot or not. I will say that I've got several more mature plumerias, and several of them wrinkle up like that over the winter. One gets really soft as well. And then they come back in the spring. But with cuttings, I think the process is a little different.

Also, I live in DFW and am currently rooting two cuttings. They stay out in 90-95 degree weather every day, and until they leafed out, they didn't get watered at all. I don't think they need anything except the initial watering until you get some leaves to lay down. So, my thought would be, until you have leaves that have "layed down" on the cutting, it is probably better to not water at all, especially that far north.

I imagine someone with more experience will chime in shortly and probably give you a lot better advice than I can.

I hope all is well with your cutting.

• elucas101
    10 years ago

Hi there! Was this cutting rooted when you bought it?

We may need a little more info but my 2 first thoughts are it is either very thirsty or it is possibly starting the process of rot. If you are trying to root it, it shouldn't be watered except initially and then not again until rooted. If the cutting was rooted when you bought it then I would give it a very thorough watering.

What about sunlight and temperature, what are your conditions like right now?

Can you take a picture of the whole plant for us? What kind of soil mixture is the plant in? Sometimes nurseries have plants in very peaty, moisture retentive soil that leaves the roots sitting too moist, that's the reason i ask.

• SmileyPrincess
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi, Thanks for the prompt replies.

Yes, elucas the plumeria cuttings were rooted, and had about 4 small leaves on them (about 1 inch-2 inch leaves). It has experienced a few hot days here, approx mid 20s celsius, but has been cloudy. It is currently in 2/3 cactus soil and 1/3 perlite.

I also move it out doors when it is sunny and warm. But if it is rainy/cloudy and below 20 celsius i keep it indoors in a large south facing window.

I hope I haven't killed my first plumeria already!!!!

• SmileyPrincess
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Heres a full body pic

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    10 years ago

Hi,

Check for spider mites too!

Could have them as well..

you could take a pin and prick the stem to see if white latex is coming from the stem to indicate if it is healthy. You may just need to take care of a few things and it will bounce back.

check the stem for latex. Check for spider mites too!

Then we can try and help.

Good luck!!

Laura

• Kimo
    10 years ago

If your plant has roots you need to water it. During a plumies active growing season you need to keep the soil moist but not wet. I'd try watering it and see what happens as you stated the moisture meter said your soil was dry.

Good luck

Sponsored