Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rafed_gw

Plumeria Care

rafed
9 years ago

Hi there,

Been a member here for a long time (fig forum) but I spend most of my time at another forum (f4f).

I am in the process of ordering three different cuttings from an ebay seller but would like just a bit of help.

I know I can find the answers if I search but I just want throw them out there anyway.

1) What's the recommended pot size?
2) What type of soil? I use Fertilome UPM, is this good?
3) Fertilizers, I use 20-20-20 but sometimes I use 3-1-2.
Are these good?

For those inquiry minds, I am ordering,
Duvauchelle
Candy Stripe
Lei Rainbow

FYI,
I have over 250 different figs. I hope I don't get bitten by the Plumeria bug.

Thank you all in advance.
Rafed

Comments (16)

• mksmth zone 7a Tulsa Oklahoma
    9 years ago

Hey rafed. For a typical cutting a 1 gallon pot is just fine the first year. Whatever you use for your figs should be fine. Just be sure it drains well. Everyone uses different ferts. A lot of us use foliage pro. Im trying dyna gro's bloom this year. Some will use a high phosphorus fert.

Mike

• texasplum
    9 years ago

Nice choices on the cuttings!

• rafed
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Mike and texasplum.

Just ordered the book off amazon;
    How to grow Plumeria - Frangipani anytime anywhere.
    By Bob Walsh.

I have a fig friend from Hawaii that contacted me about sending me cuttings along with another friend that offered to help. I said I would wait and see how these three I ordered will work out.
    So it's a start.

I think I will contact my Hawaiian friend for Kona coffee though.

FYI,
    I'm having sniffles. I think I caught the Plumeria bug.;)

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    9 years ago

Lol... Welcome, former fig fan!! ;-). Just kidding of course... Sniffles and eye allergies are common around this forum.. HA!

You just wait!!!

Mike gave you great advise.. Well draining soil...

Fertilizers.. Lots of choices too!!

Great selection that you have ordered!!

Again, welcome!!!

Laura

• rafed
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the welcome Laura,

I guess I will battle one strain after another?
    I'll take it.;)

Rafed

• jandey1
    9 years ago

Rafed, did you order just cuttings or rooted cuttings? If they're not rooted you won't need the fertilizer for a while, until they're well rooted and start growing large leaves.

Can I ask which ebay seller you bought from? There are more shady than legit ones on ebay.

• rafed
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hello jandey

I believe they are rooted cuttings.
    I got them from eBay seller : 1-stop-aloha.

Thanks
    Rafed

• barb13_gw
    9 years ago

Hi Rafed,

I order a lot of plants from him and they always bloom what I ordered. So you picked a great seller. If you are getting rooted cuttings just make sure that you have fast draining soil. You will be very happy, enjoy, Barb

• rafed
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Barb,

I have something I can mix with the soil. I just can't think of it right now but will be home tomorrow and I can tell you what it is then.

Should help make it drain faster.

• jandey1
    9 years ago

Good seller, you'll be happy. Jim Little recommends 14-14-14 slow release for young container plants and I find that an easy fertilizer to use.

Good luck!

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    9 years ago

Matt sells great trees!! Congratulations!!!

You will be buying more... Be very careful... Lol!! Then they multiply!!!

Really... Like rabbits!!! ;-)

Have fun!!!

Laura

• elucas101
    9 years ago

WELCOME rafed! I agree with everyone - great choices and one of the few reputable sellers on ebay - you done good!

• rafed
    Original Author
    9 years ago

This guy doesn't play around. I paid him on Sunday and they arrived today. Looking great.

I will pot them up tomorrow. I was thinking of adding Turface to my Fertilome UPM. Any objections?

Here is a picture of the rooted cuttings. The big one is like 15' long or longer. I didn't measure it.

• pcput
    9 years ago

Welcome! I too have plants from him. Never got a bad one. Nice selection! Turface will break down faster in your soil but will work to open it up in the short term. Think about adding reptile bark (will take longer to break down) or perlite or some kind of rock ( lava, pumice, chicken grit, cherry stone, ect.). Rock addes weight but will keep soil open for draining and roots. That's just my thoughts and there are as many ways to grow them as there are people that grow them. Good luck but your off to a good start.
    Peg

• rafed
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here they are folks,

I mixed 3 parts Fertilome UPM, 1 part aged pine bark and 1 part perlite.

Sprinkled some Ozmocote and watered a bit.

Now we wait,,, I'll post an update in a couple weeks.

Thanks for looking.

• calistoga_al ca 15 usda 9
    9 years ago

I had a problem with rotted roots when plant was dormant until I started useing the gritty mix. Al