Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aggunia

Plumerias Not Leafing in NW Indiana

aggunia
17 years ago

Hello,

I have three plumeria plants that are now 3 years old. Two of them are not leafing...one has redish-brown sprouts, the other small green sprouts at the top of the plant. These two have been this way for weeks, as I put them out over 4 weeks ago. Can someone tell me what is going on with them? I was hoping to have flowers this year, as they did well up to this point. I did transplant them in 12" pots this year, as they are 30" tall now. BTW...I had them stored in a celler for the winter. Thanks for any info on this!

Anthony

Comments (5)

• £opaka
    17 years ago

Hmm
    Are the cuttings soft or do they feel like the other one that is growing?
    If all is ok maybe they didn't wake up yet from winter..
    The green and red spots on top sounds like your describing
    the nubs..
    If they get bigger then it is sprouting leaves for ya..
    Some plumies take longer to come out of winter dormacy..
    Hard to tell without pictures sorry..

• pharoah
    17 years ago

Hi Anthony,
    When you store them for the winter, it sets them back, so what you are experience is most likely normal. Have they been watered yet? The other thing, may be a problem with the roots, but I would hate to see you dig them up if everything was fine and set them back even further. I would give them at least two more weeks and if the leaves don't appear any bigger, then it would be time to start investigating.

By the way, as long as they are rooted, a good wake up watering and fertilizing is a good thing. It tells the plumeria that it's okay to resume growth because water is available.

Good luck,
    Tony

• faithmarie
    17 years ago

Oh another person in Indiana! I am so new to this. Do you always send yours into dromancy or is there a way to keep them growing inside for the winter... sun lamp?

I am happy to hear there is some success to the midwest plumeria adventure.

• SusanMichelle
    17 years ago

Hello fellow Hoosiers! (ahumm...Boilermakers..I hate to call myself a Hoosier)
    I have tried keeping my plumeria in my sunroom over winter, but found that it is just a well to cut off the leaves and let them go dormant. Last fall I actually cut the "tree" off at the base and just rooted it this spring. I did this since we were moving and itit was one less pot to deal with. It did seem to set back the plant quite a bit though. I suppose it put forth energy forming roots instead of flowers.

• aggunia
    Original Author
    17 years ago

This is a follow-up on my original posting. The plumerias in question started sprouting leaves a few weeks ago. Sort of dissapointing though, as by now I'm used to them leafing like crazy. This winter I will not let them go dormant, but instead will put them in our lower level near a window and let them be. Then when Spring and summer rolls around, there will be no "awakening" so to speak, and hopefully bloom. I'll keep ya'll posted on this.

Sponsored