Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mksmth_zone_6b

Any time now.

Well the ohcomeonalready dance is over for the crowing now it starts for the opening.
desert sunrise

hearts desire

California sunset

my first ever plumeria, NOID white AKA "trouble maker"

this is the last time Trouble maker bloomed, November of 2011

Thumbalina was first to open this year. Divine is struggling to get the blooms to grow, might be Roberts thrips, haha. And it looks like my scott pratt that I rooted last summer is crowing.

Mike

Comments (28)

• Dave in NoVA • N. Virginia • zone 7A
    10 years ago

Coming along nicely.

My Divine insisted on blooming in winter and now has no developing inflos.

• Robert (zone 7a, Oklahoma)
    10 years ago

Mike, don't blame your thrips on me! Laugh.

Congrats on so many well developed inflos!
    Most of mine are tiny. :(
    I think my Bangkok Fire aka Daeng Maha Choke is pushing a tiny inflo (hard to tell at this point).
    I'll be very excited if I'm right. Can't wait to sniff this one! :)

-Robert

• Kenny
    10 years ago

Wow, Mike!

Are these your plants you bought from the previous years? I probably should give your potting mix a try if you can get them to rebloom like that.

Last year was the first time I bought from Southwood, maybe giving my Divine and Inca Gold a couple of weeks to see if any inflos will pop.

Kenny

• mksmth zone 7a Tulsa Oklahoma
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks guys.

Robert, You got mail.

Kenny. Yes these are the ones I picked up last year. here is the mother of my seedlings, Delightful. I bought it in July of 2011. It was the small size JJ plant at that time. Almost 2 years old and about 4 1/2 foot tall from the soil. Im not sure what Im going to do when it gets 8-10 feet tall. I should have listened to Bill when he said they get huge. LOL

mike

• No-Clue
    10 years ago

Awesome! Soon very soon then.

You lucky ducky! Mine are still waking up... S L O W L Y ! I am seriously thinking of cheating and go buy some blooming plants! LOL.

• jandey1
    10 years ago

Lynn, that's how we all start: buying blooming plants in our impatience for blooms.

Mike, I had to read that post twice until I figured out that maybe instead of "crowing" you meant "crowning". Or maybe you did mean "crowing", lol.

All those inflos look promising! And i love the name you've given your first NOID. Wait till you see Desert Sunrise in person, you're gonna love it! Btw, Delightful cutting is pushing an inflo--are you sure you meant to cut that one? ;-)

Original Author
    10 years ago

Haha jen. Yeah I meant crowning. When I bought DS last year it had a small inflo. I can't wait to see this one.

I'm so happy that one is going to flower for you. Even if mom decides not to I'm much happier knowing it that yours is.

Mike

• PRO
    the_first_kms2
    10 years ago

Come on Desert Sunrise.

I was going to add "crowing" to my vocabulary of Plumeria things that I don't know. It would have been the 3rd item after "LET" and "Ryzosphere"

10 years ago

Ha! It's worth crowing about crowns, Mike.
    Sorry. Couldn't resist. ;)

I love saying crowns instead of pushing up inflos. It makes our plumies royal. :)

-Robert

• No-Clue
    10 years ago

Yeah ok but when you all say "Crowning" I'm think of crowning as in childbirth! LOL. So maybe crowing would be better. Hahaha.

10 years ago

But they are giving birth to delicious flowers, Lynn! ;)

-Robert

Original Author
    10 years ago

well this certainly went a different direction, LOL

mike

Original Author
    10 years ago

Desert sunrise,finally.
    Mike

• desamecyra
    10 years ago

The rest of the inflo surrounding your Desert Sunrise looks like a diadem, with the unopened buds it's jewels. And I use the term "crowning " for "developing inflos ", too, because that's what those circular growths look like, and besides, it's faster to say it that way.

• Kenny
    10 years ago

Mike,

That's awesome your Desert Sunrise blooms! I think it was the only one at Southwood last year. I thought about picking it up but then I realized I already have too many pinks >My newly acquired JJ plants are about to bloom too. Thai Jade and Elsie are the ones I picked up at Southwood last weekend with you. LOL

Taj Mahal inflo is about to bloom any day now. Is that a plumie protector I see?

Thai Jade, I like the rich color on its buds

Last but not least, Elsie is putting on quite a show!

I was bummed I didn't pick up Temptation because it wasn't there when I made it to Southwood. Maybe next time, you or Robert can help guard some plumies until I arrive lol

Kenny

Original Author
    10 years ago

Looking great Kenny. here is Desert sunrise today

Original Author
    10 years ago

Hearts desire. I like this one. scent is nice but not very strong at all.

• Kimo
    10 years ago

Mike,
    WOW...Loving that OK heat and humidity on your plumies, making them so deep, rich, intense, gotta love the beauty.
    With all the heat and humidity when do you work on your yard?
    Also how many inches does your plumies grow in a season in your area with your climate?? I know they say for dwarfs its 3"to6" a season, regular plumies could be 1ft to 3ft depending on how compact the tree is.
    The Cstar sisters told me that on their plumie farm in Mexico, there is no dormancy, thus they get double the growth of up to 6ft a season...

Thanks for sharing.... Looking good.

Cheers

Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks james. The heat and humidity really does make the flowers pretty. I've lived here all my life and work construction so I'm pretty used to the heat. lots of water and work early or late. The constant wind helps too. That's a good question about growth. I've never really measured them. I will say this. The picture above of my delightful shows what we can do here. that one just turned 2 years old. it was about a foot and a half tall when I got it. It is about 4.5 feet now. So yeah 1.5-2 feet per year. same for a NOID white and a few others. the only advertised as dwarf one I have is divine and this is just my second year with it so I Dont have much to compare it to.

Mike

This post was edited by mksmth on Sat, Jun 29, 13 at 21:50

• Kimo
    10 years ago

Mike thanks for the info.
    Well I do know that humidity and temps and sunlight definitely has a bearing on color and flower size. Flowers that bloom in High heat are generally super saturated, with colors even shifting like Pinks looking purple, reds looking almost black and generally because the heat causes the bud to open quicker it does not have the extra time to stretch and grow, etc. Flowers grown @ Bud Guillots and in my patch can get HUGE but very pale on color with the cool coastal temps and humidity.
    A friend who lives in the HOT Inland Empire and I had a get together @ their house and I brought a bag of blossoms, a ton of varieties. Well basically when we compared she was amazed at the size difference, mine were double to triple the size of the same varieties.

Here is a pic of my Reddish Morange aka Morange 93 behind 7 yr olds ear. Reddish Morange is suppose to get around the same size as J Morange, but look how its almost the size of the 7 yo head. This is an old picture from like 4yrs ago, but never the less I masked the face for anonymity of the child. Granted the colors softer but never the less size does matter..lol.

• tropicalzone7
    10 years ago

Great pics! Wow that Reddish Morange's flowers are HUGE!
    Great plumerias mksmth, looks like a lot of them are starting to bloom for you now! My divine rotted this spring, but I managed to cut a few healthy branches and they are rooting well so hopefully the inflos on those will still manage to bloom this season!
    Thanks for sharing!
    -Alex

• Kimo
    10 years ago

Alex,
    WOW your Divine rotted? Divine is pretty hardy. Did it die soon after you got it, or was it winter related?

Cheers

• Pharaoh4
    10 years ago

I live in the valley where it gets HOT! I think I would prefer the large size to the color saturation that I get. The problem is that they lose much of the detail in the heat. For example, my Mary M. ends up just a basic pinkish red at about 3 inches.

I'm moving to the coast when I can. LOL!

Tony

Original Author
    10 years ago

That's new info for me about the heat effecting flower size. thanks.
    Here is CA sunset from today. It was mid 80's with a bit lower humidity.

• Kimo
    10 years ago

Mike that is to die for....
    Gotta love your summers where u are at, almost makes the tornados season bareable...

Cheers thanks for the show.

10 years ago

Mike,

I'm jealous of all your blooms! I've got a few open blooms on 'Celadine' to sniff but that's it. I do have quite a bit of inflos coming along though. Guess I'll just have to be patient. ;)

Great job!

-Robert

Original Author
    10 years ago

Hey Thanks!
    Robert, How does Celadine smell. If you have it, it must be good. I have 2 but neither looks to be blooming this year.

Like everyone else I do wish I had more to show off. My thumbalina and Devine got a bad case of something. They both pushed several inflos but the Ants thrips, something had made them abort pretty much all the flowers.

My NOID white is about to go off good and the one Im excited to see in our heat is Scott Pratt i picked up last summer from Exotic Plumeria. It doesnt look like a massive inflo but I hope it flowers nicely.

mike

• jandey1
    10 years ago

That makes perfect sense about the heat suppressing bloom size.

The first flowers I had from CA Sally, Maverick, and TLD--when we were in the 80's and 90's--were much bigger than they are now, but I figured it was just because they weren't getting enough water in the 100-degree days. I guess the whole plant pulls back some resources and just blooms minimum size flowers to reproduce.

Mike, your flowers look great, but I'm sorry to hear you're having bud drop. That stinks after waiting so long for inflos!

I caught a giant katydid-type bug eating my Heirloom blooms--aargh! It got smashed, of course. If it isn't one pest it's another around here.