Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
beachplant

PSA sale is tomorrow!

beachplant
10 years ago

Is it too early to stand in line?
Printed out the list, looked up all I could find and narrowed my choices to about 1/2 of the list lol.
Butterfly Gold
Hurricane
Ammron's curly white
Chocko Delite
Abigail
Coral Cream
Gulf Stream
Firestorm
Divine
Dazzler
Mermaid Gem
MerryChristmas (India)
Miami Rose
Novelty
Rim Fire
Plastic Pink
Purple Jade Dragon
Thai 4222, 4304, 4808, orange, tornado
Variegated pudica
Tidadol
Tong Taweekhun
Vanda Ruffles
are all among my want list. Of course price and availability will determine what I end up with.
Any thoughts on these?

I`m taking my significant other, to hold plants and help me fight ya`ll off. :)
Of course I want a Slaughter Pink but I can pick one up later, it is a super great grower here on the island, I lost mine to Ike/freezes and sure miss it, it was a very dependable bloomer. I`ll probably wait on plastic pink as there are several people close to me that always have it.
Tally HO!

Comments (27)

• rox146
    10 years ago

WOW!!! Beachplant...are you in Florida? About 10 of those are on my wish list. However, I have added 20 new cuttings I am rooting to my stock and 12 JJ trees...so...I need to wait till next year. It is an illness you know.....roxanne

• PRO
    the_first_kms2
    10 years ago

I'm standing at the door with my Black Friday game face on. I'll see u there tally.

• beachplant
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Darn! I knew I should have called in today lol!
    I`m in Texas, the sale is just a few miles up the road. A bonus, a lot of the vendors live in this area. So I I don`t get what I want I can go to their house!!!

Tally Ho!

• rox146
    10 years ago

you are soooo lucky...are these cuttings? Any already rooting? I know the San Diego sale over Labor Day is potted rooted plants....would LOVE to get there but not the traffic over a holiday weekend.

My first Plumeria order was from TEA's nursery in Houston, are they no longer around? roxanne

• jandey1
    10 years ago

Tally, I'll see you there! K and I will be strategizing in line. Don't worry, though, I'm only picking up one for a friend. I'm mostly going for the atmosphere and chatting afterward.

Roxanne, sadly Tea's is gone now. And nearly everything at this sale is rooted, and some of it quite large.

• PRO
    the_first_kms2
    10 years ago

Rox, its mostly rooted stock along with photo albums displays etc.

• rox146
    10 years ago

well, probably this is the one and only time I wished I was in Texas... :-) roxanne

• mksmth zone 7a Tulsa Oklahoma
    10 years ago

Ya'll dont trample each other when the doors open ok.

I think kenny said he was going so watch out for an Okie.

Mike

• johnsonm08
    10 years ago

Are there plants that can be carried on a plane? I just figured out where this is, and my daughter graduates in Clear Lake on Sunday. As a newbie I probably want small plants/cuttings.
    Mike

• printmaster1 (DFW TX)
    10 years ago

Tally,
    Definately get Hurricane & Butterfly Gold!!!
    I have hurricane and love it!

Lonnie

• No-Clue
    10 years ago

Glad I'm too far away! Too much temptations!

LOL @ KMS w/ his Black Friday game face on. :)

Have fun you guys... I can't wait to see/hear all about your adventure and the beauties you will find.

• beachplant
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Mike,you are NEXT door to the sale already if the graduation is in Clear Lake! Yes, there are cuttings and smaller plants.

I figure with a big list I will get at least some of what I want. Probably more than I need lol!
    Tally HO!

• Kenny
    10 years ago

Yep, I am already in Clear Lake as of yesterday. The severe weather followed me from Oklahoma LOL. I went to Buchanan's in downtown Houston today for JJ plants...very high mark up, not recommended.

I also stopped by Barbara's place. Her garden is the envy of all gardeners. Here is her Penang Peach plant!

Kenny

• jplumeria
    10 years ago

Hi K2fl
    If you don't mind what is the mark up like on the JJ plants?

Thanks

• beachplant
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Buchanans is high on everything. Zone 9 tropicals is just around the corner, he doesn`t have plumeria but has an amazing collection of rare and exotic tropicals.

Toms thumb on the isand has JJ`s, $29.99 for 1 gallon, $39.99-79.99 5 gallon and larger for $119-149. They tend to be on the expensive side also.

Haven`t checked Maas but they were supposed to be receiving a shipment.
    Tally HO!

Here`s what I look like. I`m on the right, it was a good hair day.

• Kenny
    10 years ago

jplumeria,

Buchanan's is selling the small pots for $29.99, medium for $49.99, and the largest (5 gal) for $95.00. I don't think these are just the common cultivars.

Kenny

• jandey1
    10 years ago

Tally, it was great to finally meet you! Sorry if I seemed distracted as we talked; I kept seeing all these plumerias out of the corner of my eye, LOL!

So, what did you end up going home with? I saw your two friends, A and T wandering around with a few more in their arms when I went back inside after loading my car.

Kenny, that picture of Penang Peach is glorious! The only reason I gave mine away is because I can at least visit it in its new home. Hope all yours made it back home in good shape.

• honeybunny2 Fox
    10 years ago

Kenny, was that Barbara Randolph Peang Peach? I bought one from her last year at the Ft Bend PSA sale. She told me she just rooted it, to be careful. I repotted it, the roots were so great, that I called her just to ask what she roots her cuttings in. She told me she uses Miracle grow soil, but I don't remember if it is potting or garden soil, I will ask her again. I know it was not the moisture control. She always sells such great plants. Barbra

• Kenny
    10 years ago

Barbra,

Yes that is Barbara Randolph's Penang Peach. Her private collection is impressive. She told me she uses Miracle Gro soil and rubber mulch for her potting mix.

Kenny

• honeybunny2 Fox
    10 years ago

Kenny, do you remember if Barbara uses miracle grow potting soil, or miracle grow garden soil? Barbra

• jandey1
    10 years ago

Barbra, did you ever get your Waimea?

• honeybunny2 Fox
    10 years ago

Jen, no when I called Florida Colors and Tex told me it was the plant that he had the hardest time with black tip, I said forget it. He told me that he did not have any trouble with Leona Hoke, but I had both tips turning black, cut off one, and the other actually started to send out new growth, under where it was black. He told me that was his favorite plumeria. I asked him what his favorite desert rose was and he told me double purple, and red on black, I actually bought both of those years back, but the double did not make it last year thru the winter. I think I will order it again, the prices for desert roses are highter than they use to be, but still a great price. Barbra

• jandey1
    10 years ago

Barbra, I have a Waimea for you. I personally have had no trouble with Waimea at all, or Leona for that matter.

When I spoke to George we talked about how everyone seems to have trouble with black tip on very different varieties. Funny, right? But Waimea was such an easy rooter that I think it's worth your trying it out. If you find it black tips at the coast, maybe keep it in SA where it might do fine.

• moonie_57 (8 NC)
    9 years ago

I resurrected this post because of what Barbra said Tex told her about Waimea having black-tip problems. Last week I had to behead my Waimea because of black-tip. Funny thing, I usually associate black-tip with a winter time problem. My Waimea was just beginning to push out leaves when the problem occurred.

This was my first black-tip experience.

• Kimo
    9 years ago

Mona,
    There is an old article somewhere, might be plumeria 101..maybe not, that stated that Black Tip can appear in late spring or fall (Oct). When I had a singapore white it would get BT in June thru July then come back in Oct if I did not spray with Fungaway. Some have written papers stating that BT is caused by mites, whether its fungus or mites Fungaway usually killed off what ever caused the issue. I believe Fungaway use to contain Bayleton in it, to bad it was discontinued :(

Good luck with the BT and Happy growing season :)

• PRO
    the_first_kms2
    9 years ago

Mona,
    I remember the article James is talking about pretty much as he posted.

It happened to my Waimea too...but the good news is 3 tips became 8 tips. Oh well there is always next year. Its a marathon and not a sprint.

• moonie_57 (8 NC)
    9 years ago

Hi James! Nice to see you!
    I just went and re-read that article at plumeria101. Thanks for reminding me. I've never used Fungaway but did use Bayer Advanced 3 in 1. Last year, with "life" happening, I didn't use anything. My rust problems were horrible. I wonder if the black tip would have been avoided had I used it routinely.

I shopped in the wrong place yesterday and couldn't find some of my staple items. Fish emulsion cost me twice as much and I could not get Bayer products. I ended up with a Bonide copper fungicide that I hope will work. It's almost time for rust to start! Grrrrr on that!

K - what are you going to do about 8 tips? Will you try to remove some of them? My Yolanda tip sealed over and she is pushing 6 tips now. The dumbest thing about my Waimea black tipping was that I kept procrastinating on cutting the tip off. Finally one day I went out and just whacked off a good 6 inches, making sure to go that far so I was past any rot. Well, had I taken the time to actually look at it, I would have found that it was already pushing more tips! Hmph! I console myself with the fact that there was probably rot there anyway, right? I mean that is right, right?? lol