Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cwcervantes

Hilo Beauty blooming?

cwcervantes
10 years ago

Hello everyone! I received a cutting of Hilo Beauty but now that it has bloomed I'm not sure that it's dark enough to be Hilo Beauty. It's still pretty! What do you think?

Comments (27)

• mksmth zone 7a Tulsa Oklahoma
    10 years ago

I agree doesn't look dark enough.it is a pretty one. Where did you get it?

Mike

• Dave in NoVA • N. Virginia • zone 7A
    10 years ago

Doesn't look like mine. Who did you get it from?

Here's mine:

Here's another:

This post was edited by dave_in_nova on Sat, Jun 29, 13 at 10:52

• krismast
    10 years ago

I think we know where it came from. Lol

• krismast
    10 years ago

*sorry for the double post*

This post was edited by krismast on Sat, Jun 29, 13 at 13:14

• cwcervantes
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Online seller from Hawaii. Purchased via online auction site.

• Kimo
    10 years ago

Def not HB... With the heat and humidity in NOLA this time of year it should look almost black burgundy.
    If its the seller we are all thinking of from Hawaii, I noticed he edited his FB photos, not so many pics anymore especially of HB.
    I kind of thought it was a little strange to edit out photos after there were issues, kind of makes you go 'hmmmmmmm".

• cwcervantes
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Well the cuttings were inexpensive and very healthy so I guess guess I'll let it go.

• mksmth zone 7a Tulsa Oklahoma
    10 years ago

Well let's not beat around the bush. Is this a Derrick aka piece of paradise mistake again? We need to be honest about it so anyone lurking the forum can decide whether or not they wish to risk buying from him.

Mike

• No-Clue
    10 years ago

Wow it's a beautiful bloom!! But definitely not Hilo Beauty.

I have never ordered from Derrick. Did he mislabeled them by chance. Still gorgeous though... I wouldn't mind having that beauty.

• derft1
    10 years ago

Mike....There are two listed on the site. Hilo Beauty and Rare Hilo Beauty. The later looks like it may be correct.

• citizen_insane
    10 years ago

Hey guys,
    it is not a mislabel. Derrick's Hilo Beauty is not really Hilo Beauty. It is a common red in Hawaii. I do not know if it has a name but I have seen pictures of many trees. Here is the one I got from Derrick. The exact same thing.

George

• No-Clue
    10 years ago

George,

Well that's confusing. So Derek calls his Derek's Hilo Beauty even though there is already a plant by that name?

Scratching my head.

• cwcervantes
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yes, this order was from A Piece of Paradise.

The post about the two varieties was correct -- I ordered 'Hilo Beauty' thinking I would receive 'Rare Hilo Beauty'

I do think it's a little confusing but as far as I can tell the photos for Hilo Beauty are accurate. Maybe I'll order a 'Rare Hilo Beauty'!

• Kimo
    10 years ago

Lynn,
    I think Derrick has 2 listed as "Hilo Beauty" and "RARE Hilo Beauty". I have never purchased from him, but heard he is very nice, also gives you extra plumies aka "Gift with Purchase". Also I believe you got a bad referral last year to someone who basically pulled a fast one on you.... Sometimes that happens also, especially when the person you know is supposedly "trustworthy".

My rules of thumb is 1) buy directly from the source
    2) buy from someone you know is friends with the source and is trustworthy
    3) last but not least you get what you pay for so buy from a reliable source like JL, Florida Colors, Brad aka BBB, Bloomingplumerias, Matt aka Onestopaloha. Even with the Plumeria Societies when you buy a cutting or non flowering plant make sure you know the sellers reputation...but best scenario is to get a blooming plant so you can be 100 percent sure when you buy it. If the blooms even look questionable I would not even buy it as you would be wasting your money and spending more later to buy the replacement/real deal...

Just my 2 cents.....

Cheers

• No-Clue
    10 years ago

James,

The person who referred me was actually a reliable source too. I should have trusted my instinct when he pulled the bait and switch on me. But I was so naive, trusting, and desperate so I deserved it I guess.

Oh and remember that fake Daisy Wilcox I got? I gave her away this year.

But in the end friends like you guys more than made up for my mishaps. Last I checked I'm still ahead. So it's all good. :)

• citizen_insane
    10 years ago

Hey guys, I had many arguments with Derrick. Many of his plants are not what they are listed to be. The PSA registered HILO BEAUTY is a very dark red variety with dark leaves. What he lists as HILO BEAUTY is not the PSA registered cultivar but some NOID Hawaiian red. Both the flower and leaves are lighter than HILO BEAUTY. He believes that what he sells are true varieties as listed. I do not think so. For example, Jean Moragne is a pink flower. Look at the picture of his Jean Moragne, it looks like Kauka Wilder (bright red and yellow/orange center, I bought some). Other flowers that not true are Atzec Gold, Sally Moragne, etc. No need to go on.

George

• krismast
    10 years ago

George

What is wrong with his Aztec Gold? Just curious as that was another one I bought from him. Probably wont buy anything else from him in the future but his good prices are what got me started in plumeria in the first place! I'll still keep growing the plants I got from him.

Kristopher

• Kimo
    10 years ago

Hey George,
    Hows the Tx weather?
    Since you had several past conversation with Derrick do you happen to know where he was getting his supply from as his collection and yard does not look large enough to sustain the quantity/volume of plumies he was selling?
    I think I posted somewhere on another thread that if a person is selling random plumies that they ID themselves then basically its Russian Roulette as to what your getting as there are a lot of plumies that looks similar to but are not a named cultivar. So basically some people are not that accurate on their ability to ID, even those that have a gift for it are not 100 percent. Thats why there have been so many old time plumie people who complain about people who ID random plumies and the inaccuracy.

Thanks
    Cheers

• citizen_insane
    10 years ago

Hey Freak,
    I think he buys from individuals, so where he buys varies with time. I bought many cuttings of several varieties.Not only they are not the right variety but in addition they are not all identical sometimes!. I had a Sally Moragne that die. I bought a new one from Upland. In both, some of the leaves are irregular. It is a characteristic of Sally Moragne. The ones I got from him have leaves that have a different shape and color and have no ireegularities. They have no resemlance to Sally. Just never know what you are going to get.
    George

• citizen_insane
    10 years ago

Kristopher,
    the Atzec Gold that Derrick sells is not the registered Atzec Gold. The flower form and coloring is different. It is a yellow plumeria but it is not Atzec Gold. Many people posted pictures on Facebook and it is the oppinion of many people not just mine. The flower is not bad but people get upset when they get a NOID in lieu of the real thing.
    George

This post was edited by Citizen_Insane on Sat, Jun 29, 13 at 23:00

• krismast
    10 years ago

Darn, oh well. Not much to do about it now I suppose.

Kristopher

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    10 years ago

Hey Kris..

Don't feel bad.. i ordered a Aztec Gold from PLumeriaGallery in Florida and it bloomed last year only to be a Miamii Rose. lol Guess what? IT WAS grafted!! LOL... I guess they really took their time when grafting too!

The other was ..gosh, i cant remember.. but it wasnt what it was supposed to be,. everyone here was so kind when i posted the pic of the bloom..... i was so happy to share and my balloon was popped!! ;-) But, it was a beauty Noid and it was said to look like Vera Verde.. so i call her my "possible VV" She is one that has a seedpod.

Just chalk it up to experience and listen to others.. we all have had this happen and we move on and learn. We know who to buy from and stick with them!! (Like James mentioned..) I am worried about my Hilo tho.. lol. I know it was purchased from Matt or Fuzzy, but i still get nervous looking at all of the different pics.. time will tell!

Kris.. just wait. im sure someone will have a cutting of Aztec Gold and will share the love...

By the way.. your name .. do you live near Bethlehem. PA?

Take care,

Laura

• Kimo
    10 years ago

Laura,
    WOW so sorry to hear that you one of the many that got stung when you bought your Aztec Gold. Well I guess you will not get a replacement or refund as the person who sold it to you ran off to Chicago, ALLEGEDLY after there were reports filed against the business with the police and Better Business Bureau. Matter of fact I am attaching a link to their Better Business Bureau page as they ALLEGEDLY received an "F"

Did you ever get your Aztec Gold?
    Sorry so many people seem to have bad experiences, this is a hobby that is suppose to relieve stress and bring happiness and joy....

Oh here is her Linkedin Page also if your curious:
    http://www.linkedin.com/pub/marlene-nicosia/b/1b6/5b0
    Well thanks for sharing the info

Cheers

Here is a link that might be useful: Better Business Link for P Gallery

This post was edited by freak4plumeria on Sun, Jun 30, 13 at 1:47

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    10 years ago

Hi James,

I never received one thing from her.. Not even a email.

No replacements.. No refunds, No apologies, nothing... I knew something was up, but I was new and I believed since she had a business down in Florida and I wasn't buying from EBay... I was safe... Well, I wasn't!!! She didn't return my phone calls either, so I just chalked it up to being one of the statistics for getting ripped off by her .

Chicago huh? Hmmm, don't want to mess with people and their ways with others in chi... She might have even bigger issues!!! ;-)

What comes around, goes around...

Night!!

Laura

• krismast
    10 years ago

Good Morning Laura!

Thanks for your kind words. I guess Derricks prices really ARE too good to be true. I have one from him (labeled Moragne #23) that is about to bloom now. Once it opens I will post pics.

By the way, Bethlehem PA is about an 1:45 drive northeast of where I live. I live right near the border of Chester and Lancaster county. Do you know someone who lives in Bethlehem?

Kristopher

• PRO
    the_first_kms2
    10 years ago

It kind of has a Royal Hawaiian look to it. I wonder if its maybe a RH seedling. Pretty but still not right to have this sold as HB.

Stories like this are why I like to buy in person. Freak is right about that. I am fortunate to routinely be in Houston and occasionally in Honolulu. Once I have an inperson relationship with the seller I am comfortable in making future buys via telephone or email.

All of my purchased named plants come from JL (Kara or Dole), Jungle Jacks, or PSA sellers (Emerson, German C, Barbara R, Mike K,and Now George). Each is labeled with the buy date and seller's name. I doubt there will ever be a problem with any of them.

I have gone off the reservation and bought at the Aloha swap meet but they were generics like "Hawaii Dark Red" etc. The seller also clearly stated that it wasn't a named plant. Just one that he had on his farm in Waianae.

PS: George, will you have another U of H orange at Ft Bend? Also that Loretta's colors trued up once i moved it into more direct sun.

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!