Return to the Plumeria Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
New to Seedling growing

Posted by Lchiles24 none (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 10, 14 at 10:30

Hi there,
Have germinated seeds and have them in 4 inch pots...used a cactus soil in plastic pots...they have been doing very well and are about 3 months old...recently some of them have very fat (thick) stems until you get to the soil level and then it narrows down dramatically...a couple have started falling over....am I overwatering, underwatering, need to change soil? HELP!
Lchiles

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: New to Seedling growing

Is it turning brown where it narrows?

o

It sounds like it could be overwatering, but I'm not too sure. A picture would be helpful.

Mark

o

Sounds like damping off, a fungal disease. Unfortunately seedlings of all kinds are vulnerable to it.

When I planted all my plumie seeds I used to drench once a week with Spanish water, which is just water with a big splash of hydrogen peroxide in it. I rarely lost any to damping off.

Good luck!

o

Don't panic. Mine had trunks right at the soil line, and then narrowed to the roots. As my soil was very coarse and airy, it compacted over a few months with more regular watering as they got their first leaves and a similar thing happened. I added soil back to cover the roots and help keep them propped up.
Not sure without photos.
You could pull one up and rinse the soil off the roots and inspect for rot. It will tolerate being replanted just fine.

o

Thanks everyone...I was pretty sure it was overwatering...I will try to send picture but I'm not extremely techno savvy.
L

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumeria Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here