Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
stormys_mom

Calling all experts lol black nursery Pots???

stormys_mom
11 years ago

I have 3 rooted plants I got from ebay, thank you to all enablers lol I need to find the 5 gal pots. Anyone have a good reasonable source?

Jackie

Comments (14)

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    11 years ago

Hi Jackie,

I would check your local Gardenn Center for their "leftovers" The good news is that they are free.. Some dont like to use them cuz they think they could have insects...i just wash them out if i find them at those places. I personally like to start my little ones in a black one gallon pot. Then in a year or two move up to a 2.5 gallon, then finally in a five gallon pot. After that i rootprune to keep them in the Five gallon.

I went to my local Hydroponics store and they carry these great black pots. You can probably find a nursery up there in MD for some pots and if you cant, then try Ebay. I would just use the small one gallon for your new trees unless they are huge!!! : )

Just my two cents worth..

If you cant find them..let me know and i will send you a few black containers.. : )

Take Care,

Laura

• daogirl - SoCal Zone 9
    11 years ago

I've seen them at local gardening centers and at Home Depot (not Lowes, though) - the 5 gallon ones cost $5-6 a pot in both places.

• printmaster1 (DFW TX)
    11 years ago

Go to a local family run nursery.
    They will usually sell used black nursery pots cheap.
    Be sure to disinfect them before using.
    lonnie

• rjcantor
    11 years ago

Most of the nurseries and tree farms near me have a bin full of used pots and they're happy to have you take all you want.

• redmaple_7b
    11 years ago

Pretty much same as everyone else said. Local nurseries for free usually, or new ones at Home Depot for pretty cheap.
    Trevor

• TruNorth7
    11 years ago

Jackie- Craig's List!
    I am usually able to find them in the "free" section, but if they're not the right size I post a wanted ad in "farm & garden".

Rachel

• plucrazy
    11 years ago

I picked up about a dozen 1 gallon pots for my new seedlings this morning at Lowes. They were free. They had a whole rack in the back of the garden section with all kinds of pots and pot holders. I just wash them out good and re use them.
    Clara

• stormys_mom
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I will check every idea you all have given me. I did stop at a nursery today and the lady was repotting a plant. On the floor was a 3 gallon black pot. I asked and she said with a snotty attitude. "oh no we reuse these ". I just went on my merry way lol I will check Lowes tomorrow. Thank you all.

Jackie

• parrotpaul
    11 years ago

Home Depot has the heavy duty black 5 gallon nursery pots new for $3.95....I just picked up four....anxiously awaiting four rooted JL cuttings I won this past weekend on Ebay...$98 includes priority shipping from Oahu...all have three tips...I have had great success with this supplier.

• Minderella
    11 years ago

ParrotPaul,

You are the one bidding against me. LOL. Enjoy your cuttings you got and hope you have wonderful flowers to show off someday.

Take Care, Mindy

• Kimo
    11 years ago

I buy my black nursery pots from a Nursery Supply store for wholesale pricing, plus they usually sale Super Thrive and other fertilizers and growing medium for 30 percent below retail...such a deal :)

• parrotpaul
    11 years ago

Sorry, Mindy....I'm done for a while...with 41 desert roses and seven plumeria...I have my hands full...I also have a fairly large cactus garden..

Here is a link that might be useful: My WEBSHOTS

• stormys_mom
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I saw the black pots at home depot and I guess I will have to go that route. I asked about the used ones, they told me they send them back to the growers. Which I find hard to believe. Guess I will have to just buy some. I need 4 so it shouldnt be to expensive. Thank you all for your help, I appreciate everything you share. Without you all I would be lost!!

Jackie :)

• mksmth zone 7a Tulsa Oklahoma
    11 years ago

One of our nurseries has a bin outside for recycled pots. All are free but I usually buy something before I take any. last week I picked up about 15- 5 gallon and 10-1 gallon. My plan is one day you all will be buying your plumies from me, LOL.

I also paint mine with Krylon Fusion. Its made for plastic and makes them look a bit nicer.

Mike

Mike

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH