Return to the Plumeria Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Epsom Salt

Posted by spiroan none (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 25, 12 at 10:56

I've seen several posts suggesting use of Epsom salt as a fertilizer. So, my question is, "Will the epsom salt I can get at Walgreens or CVS work, or is there an agricultural type that I should get somewhere else to use?"

Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Epsom Salt

Oh good question! I'm wondering if I should start too! I have salt I bought for my bath ... so wondering if that will work as well?

o

Here's a page that might explain a few things about Epsom Salts.

Here is a link that might be useful: Agricultural Grade ES

o

In another thread Al (tapla) discusses fertilizers and such and honestly, you don't need to add Epsom Salts if you have a balanced fertilizer. You can end up giving your plant an overabundance of magnesium, which it cannot possibly use, therefore turning it into a deficit for your plant. Foliage Pro is a very balanced fertilizer that will give your plant everything it needs, and then look towards a supplement like ProTekt for giving your plants better resistance to heat, cold and insects. I hope this helps, good luck!

This is a great thread:
http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/plumeria/msg1015242522104.html?36

http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/plumeria/msg1110423916856.html?113

o

Thanks for all the responses. Looks like I may need to just not worry about the epsom salt.

o

+1, what elucas101 said.

If there is anything I've learned from this forum, it is to avoid the temptation to apply random fertilizers, additives, etc. A balanced fertilizer with minors is your best friend.

o

I agree with Emily and Brian. If you have a balanced fertilizer, you dont need to add anything else. Makes things quite simple when you know that the balance is correct in the fertilizer that comes with all the necessary and essential nutrients. Some like to add other things and that if fine if you enjoy working with fetilizer that doesent offer calcium and Mg. But, if you can make it simple ..i am all for that!!!!

Great links to those threads Emily...

Take care...

Laura

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumeria Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here