Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
no_clue

I have soo many NOIDs now

No-Clue
10 years ago

This is not good for a person with OCD!!

I was so busy moving twice in 4 months so I never got around to labeling my plants. Well during the move some of the tags fell off so now I got 6 plants not labeled.

Tiger
Thumbalina
Wizard
Whirlwind
CA Sunset
Inca Gold

So until these bloomed I have no way of knowing which is which! I tried to identified them by the foliage but it was impossible!

Then to make things worse... I sent 6 lightly rooted/cuttings to a friend's to help me and when I picked them up one didn't make it. From that list I was able to identify Guillot Sunset and Kimo from the markings on the trunks. The remaining unidentified plants are Bill M., Jeannie M., Duvachelle, and Love. The question is WHICH of these four died??

So now I have even more NOIDs bringing my list to 11 NOIDs total!

Of course this makes lowering my count impossible! So right now I have a wall of NOIDs. Crazy making!

Comments (9)

• mksmth zone 7a Tulsa Oklahoma
    10 years ago

That stinks. A couple of those should be very obvious once they bloom. now that my collection is growing I have started writing on the trunks with a sharpie marker just to make sure.

mike

• No-Clue
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I like things organized and orderly... so this mess is making me very uncomfortable. I might have to move them all to the side yard.

So next week I'm going to work on labeling everything that I can ID, including all my roses. Luckily a few JJ's Plumeria in question are "crowing" so I should be able to ID a few more in a few weeks. I know what I have I just don't know who is who.

• Dave in NoVA • N. Virginia • zone 7A
    10 years ago

Sorry to hear.

Each summer I go thru all my plants and adjust tags AND mark names with Sharpie on the stems. Tags can get lost! As soon as any branch breaks, I mark on it with Sharpie too. I keep the Sharpie in the garage ready to go!

Since mine don't always bloom each season, I have to mark them. Also, I have to know which plants to throw out to make room for new ones. Yes, I'll admit I'm at that point.

• honeybunny2 Fox
    10 years ago

Ok Lynn you convinced me, I am going out with my felt pen and putting initials on all my plants, just in case something happens. RS for Raspberry Sundae, BS for broomstick, WFfor Wildfire, etc. I think that is a great idea, Thank you, for posting this thread. So far the only NOID I have is that white one that was mislabeled, I am sure it is Ammarons Curly White, but have to list it as a NOID, since it had the wrong label. I think I am going to do some indian trading this weekend with Michael. He grows desert roses and other tropical plants. I need to get rid of the curly white, pink pansy, and kimo, before I get my Raspberry Sundae, Mr Ambassador, and Bill Moragne. Still holding at 35 Plumeria Barbra

• beachplant
    10 years ago

I have a ton of noids right now, didn`t even think about the labels fading to nothing up on the front deck or the chickens pecking the ones out of the ground.

Luckily my OCD takes other forms since all my disasters.

Good luck!
    Tally Ho!

• No-Clue
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Dave,

I can't give them away or sell because I don't know who Elsie or Thumbalina! Good idea about writing on the stems!

Barbra,

You are my hero! How do you keep so disciplined! I just need to stop being so compulsive and buy only the ones I truly want. My goal still is 50. No sure how I will do that but one must set goals!

Beach,

We all have our issues. LOL. But visual chaos is stressful for me and stress set me way back in my path to recovery. Once stressed I stay that way for days sometimes weeks. So I have learned to keep my environment less "stimulating". But I am doing better so I am grateful.

• PRO
    the_first_kms2
    10 years ago

Just put them to the side until they are ready to bloom.

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    10 years ago

Hi Lynn !!!

All of them are ones that I cherish!!!

I'm sure it is frustrating not knowing, but like others mentioned, you can start to identify later.. Put them aside and I'm sure with Bill and James around, they will give you some help... KEEP all of those beauties..

I also label with metal tags... When I make cuttings, I mark with a black marker.

My DH and I were away for a week and my son took care of the trees... We had a strong storm here on the east coast while we were away and I had a few that were knocked over.. With my "eagle eye..." I noticed one that was knocked over and the tag was gone. I asked my son as " gently" as i could about the tag... ( without looking like a crazy person..). What happened to the tag? He just said it must be on the ground somewhere... I made a new tag and I'm heading out right now to relabel this one.. ." Lipstick". Good thing I can remember, since I was just looking at this one before I left.

Hang in there... You will be so happy once they bloom!!!

I only have one blooming now... My " Psycho.."

Take care,

Laura

• beachplant
    10 years ago

Oh, I totally understand the stress. I have just learned to embrace chaos.

Hang in there! I used to make fake tags for my plants, "leggy orange sunbather", "exurberant pink vine", until I found their names. I still have a couple of noid plants that just drive me nuts, I have narrowed them down to a family but can`t find the species.. Luckily most of the garden books were in the one room that didn`t burn.
    Tally HO!

Sponsored
Columbus Foremost Siding & Exterior Design Solutions