Return to the Plumeria Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
June Gloom hits So. Calif.

Posted by tdogdad Zone 9 (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 11, 11 at 11:56

With 13 plants flowering and dozens of others ready to burst, the dreaded june gloom hit. Morning high fog and dampness has already claimed several inflos with black fungus and it is not clearing off until mid afternoon. I hope it goes away soon so my plants can get back to summer.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: June Gloom hits So. Calif.

Your weather looks to improve a bit later in the week. Looks like sun may come out in afternoon. Is it the morning fog/cloudiness or night time coolness that's the worst?

o

Just a few more days of this... Looks like we'll get a full week of sunshine starting tuesday...

o

My Francoise just dropped a full inflo's worth of flower buds when the temp dropped. Bummed...

o

I'll gladly trade ya some June Gloom for roasting dry Houston this spring. All time record breaking heat and dryness. Inflos are goin to town in the stress.

Pinwheel White 2011

o

Hi Houston Pat,
What plumeria is that above? That's BEAUTIFULL!!! What a looker!

Andrew

o

Hello Everyone..

Bill...I hope that the "June Gloom.." breaks soon for you!!

Looking forward to seeing some of your beautiful blooms!!!

Houston Pat...I agree with Andrew...thats a beauty!!

Take care..

Laura in VB

o

• Posted by labland Inland Valley CA9 (My Page) on
    Mon, Jun 13, 11 at 23:12

Wow, I didn't realize the June Gloom could damage the inflos! Maybe because of where I live, it isn't moist enough to get fungus, but so far mine are ok. Hopefully this weather breaks soon! Jennifer in California

o

Pat, those light pink flowers are just gorgeous! Do they have a name?

o

Is it Ammaron's Curly White? Sariah's Curly Pink? Whatever it is, the inflo is a picture-perfect round cluster. Gorgeous, Pat!

I don't know which is worse, June Gloom or 100 degrees since April. If I give my plants 6 hours of sun a day now they get sunburned leaves.

o

I had to move all my plumeria back indoors last night. Darn weather has not been conducive for plumeria growing. Temps have been only in the 60's for the past 4 days now, and RAIN! Lots of rain. I started getting paranoid over root rot so there all under the 600 watt HPS light drying out now. Hopefully they will be able to go back outdoors before July!

Andrew

o

Thanks folks. Hey jandey that's a good guess. I believe it is a sibling to ACW and SCP as I got the plant "Pinwheel White" from Rick Stone, the hybridizer of those. It's a strong grower with fine form and fragrance. I'm headed to San Diego in a couple weeks to soak up some "coolness". :)

o

There's a plumeria meeting in San Diego in a few weeks, if you go through withdrawal!

o

Thanks for the tip slave2thefur. I checked out the happenings. I'm there Jun30 - Jul5 and the Plumeria mtg is on the 10th. Usually the Del Mar fair has some things, plus great people watchin (If the surf's not up). Walter Anderson's is a usual stop.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumeria Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here