Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tdogdad

June Gloom hits So. Calif.

tdogdad
12 years ago

With 13 plants flowering and dozens of others ready to burst, the dreaded june gloom hit. Morning high fog and dampness has already claimed several inflos with black fungus and it is not clearing off until mid afternoon. I hope it goes away soon so my plants can get back to summer.

Comments (13)

• Dave in NoVA • N. Virginia • zone 7A
    12 years ago

Your weather looks to improve a bit later in the week. Looks like sun may come out in afternoon. Is it the morning fog/cloudiness or night time coolness that's the worst?

• sunseeker53
    12 years ago

Just a few more days of this... Looks like we'll get a full week of sunshine starting tuesday...

• slave2thefur
    12 years ago

My Francoise just dropped a full inflo's worth of flower buds when the temp dropped. Bummed...

• houstonpat
    12 years ago

I'll gladly trade ya some June Gloom for roasting dry Houston this spring. All time record breaking heat and dryness. Inflos are goin to town in the stress.

• Andrew Scott
    12 years ago

Hi Houston Pat,
    What plumeria is that above? That's BEAUTIFULL!!! What a looker!

Andrew

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    12 years ago

Hello Everyone..

Bill...I hope that the "June Gloom.." breaks soon for you!!

Looking forward to seeing some of your beautiful blooms!!!

Houston Pat...I agree with Andrew...thats a beauty!!

Take care..

Laura in VB

• labland
    12 years ago

Wow, I didn't realize the June Gloom could damage the inflos! Maybe because of where I live, it isn't moist enough to get fungus, but so far mine are ok. Hopefully this weather breaks soon! Jennifer in California

• sunseeker53
    12 years ago

Pat, those light pink flowers are just gorgeous! Do they have a name?

• jandey1
    12 years ago

Is it Ammaron's Curly White? Sariah's Curly Pink? Whatever it is, the inflo is a picture-perfect round cluster. Gorgeous, Pat!

I don't know which is worse, June Gloom or 100 degrees since April. If I give my plants 6 hours of sun a day now they get sunburned leaves.

• Andrew Scott
    12 years ago

I had to move all my plumeria back indoors last night. Darn weather has not been conducive for plumeria growing. Temps have been only in the 60's for the past 4 days now, and RAIN! Lots of rain. I started getting paranoid over root rot so there all under the 600 watt HPS light drying out now. Hopefully they will be able to go back outdoors before July!

Andrew

• houstonpat
    12 years ago

Thanks folks. Hey jandey that's a good guess. I believe it is a sibling to ACW and SCP as I got the plant "Pinwheel White" from Rick Stone, the hybridizer of those. It's a strong grower with fine form and fragrance. I'm headed to San Diego in a couple weeks to soak up some "coolness". :)

• slave2thefur
    12 years ago

There's a plumeria meeting in San Diego in a few weeks, if you go through withdrawal!

• houstonpat
    12 years ago

Thanks for the tip slave2thefur. I checked out the happenings. I'm there Jun30 - Jul5 and the Plumeria mtg is on the 10th. Usually the Del Mar fair has some things, plus great people watchin (If the surf's not up). Walter Anderson's is a usual stop.

Sponsored
The Creative Kitchen Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars47 Reviews
Franklin County's Kitchen Remodeling and Refacing Professional