Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jerseybobmc

cut my big plumeria

jerseybobmc
12 years ago

Finally got the nerve to cut my big (8' high by 11' wide) potted plumeria. It was too big for the house in winter, so I had to cut it. I made 3 large cuttings and left the trunk about 3 feet tall, plus the height of the pot. It looks like all the cuttings are doing well and the trunk, which has three cut ends, looks like it is starting to get some new growth around the cut ends. With any luck it will grow alot of branches and not grow so spindly like it was before. Thanks for the tip about starting cuttings in 1.5 liter bottles. Even though I used a different kind of bottle, things seem to be working out great.

Comments (6)

• sunseeker53
    12 years ago

Wow, I didn't know they could get that big in a pot! What variety is it? Sounds like you're going to have a nice tree from the original tree since it now will be shorter and will send out more branches from the cuts.
    I like the idea of using the large plastic soda bottles too! I am now using them for most of my cuttings and it has worked out really well. I've also found a way to put holes on the bottom: I hold a large metal BBQ skewer over fire until it's hot then push it into the bottom.

• Andrew Scott
    12 years ago

Hi Sunseeker,
    I do the same thing to make holes in my bottles, except I usea screw driver on my stove. Works the same way. Those bottles are great to use butI found that the plastic 1 gal milk jugs work even better since the plastic is that much thinner.

Now that I have rooted all these cuttings(over 40), I am going on weekend missions to get as many nursery pots from the garden centers. So many of them just throw them away after they transplant or install a landscape.

Andrew

• sunseeker53
    12 years ago

Andrew, you're just going there to get pots, right? You promise not to buy another plumeria, even if it's a great deal (i.e. a potted Dwarf Singapore Pink 2 feet tall with 3 long branches and inflos for $28 at Lowe's)? :-)

• Andrew Scott
    12 years ago

Hi Sunseeker,
    I WISH I COULD BUY PLUMERIAS AT LOWE"S!!! No garden centers locally sell them. I have never seen a plumeria for sale, that is until I went to Florida.

I wont be buying any more for a while, even though I still want Desert Sunrise and Scentsational!!

Tomorrow I am hoping my J105, JJ Orange and Sparkle will be here from Jungle Jacks. I ended up getting that catalog anyhow! John had overcharged me so I had him add it in. I was so tempted to buy another plumeria but I was a good boy..LOL!

Andrew

• gardenscents
    12 years ago

Jerseybob - where are you in SC? I'm in Aiken and have numerous plumies and also, like you, a very tall (7-8') one that needs cutting - scared about that! Also have lots of seedlings....SC is kind to plumeria.

• jerseybobmc
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I am in Lyman, midway between Greenville and Spartanburg. SC certainly is kind to plumeria. I was told it was red when it was given to me but in NJ, it was always white with a bit of yellow. After moving to SC, it bloomed red or dark pink and grew like a weed.Now I have to find out what to do with the ugly cut ends, one end looks ok the other two look like a broken dead stick, all jagged and dried out and just plain ugly