Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
irun5k_gw

double inflos?

irun5k
9 years ago

Hi all,

My Divine started blooming on three tips very recently. While the info was growing the tips grew about another inch and it was clear they weren't going to branch.

Now, no sooner than a couple weeks after the first blooms opened, a new info is forming on each tip! So it seems probable that I'll have 6 inflos in bloom on only three tips.

Is this common for Divine? I am assuming it is because the first inflos did not invoke branching.

Thanks
Brian

Comments (11)

• mksmth zone 7a Tulsa Oklahoma
    9 years ago

Brian

my divine has bloomed on a very new short tip before. I think it is fairly common and what helps it stay compact.

mike

• irun5k
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Mike, if it keeps doing this it will become one of my favorites pretty quickly!

What surprised me the most was the fact that it put out two inflos right in a row. As soon as it pushed the first one out and the first few blooms opened, it started pushing another right behind it.

Makes sense I guess, I remember seeing a photo of JJ's Divine growing field in Thailand and it just looked like a field of small Plumeria bushes :)

• Dave in NoVA • N. Virginia • zone 7A
    9 years ago

Compact plumerias do that!

• QHeidi
    9 years ago

I have 3 inflows on one tip from a 2-year old cutting... is this normal?? This isn't from a compact, the mother tree ia pink/orange/yellow. Sorry I have no idea what the name is but she is a 10 year old very HEAVY bloomer that regularly gives me pods. I'm not sure of the name but it looks exactly like JJ's Enchanted.

• irun5k
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Dave, I'm finally beginning to see that these compact varieties can live up to the hype :)

QHeidi, the plant may think it is one big three headed info. A good deal for you though especially if each one pushes out a bunch of blooms. Sounds like a nice cultivar whatever it is!

• PRO
    the_first_kms2
    9 years ago

Same experience with Devine able have two bloom cycles in a season.

• QHeidi
    9 years ago

I'll take all the three headed blumies I can get, it will be interesting to see how they open... if they're like their mom, they will be plentiful all through summer.

I see you're in St. Pete as well Brian... nice to meet you "neighbor" :)

• elucas101
    9 years ago

I've had Divine push an inflo, not branch & then push an inflo on same tip and then branch. I'd say more often though it does branch, luckily. I counted a few weeks ago (has probably changed by now!) and I had 16 tips with inflos on 9 of them! She is a graceful, compact workhorse that Divine!

• irun5k
    Original Author
    9 years ago

elucas, sounds like your Divine has reached "critical mass"⦠just think how many tips it will have next year, and the year after!!!

QHeidi, have you noticed all the Plumeria in town going nuts this year? I'm not sure what it was about the weather this spring, but everything looks to be going gangbusters now.

• QHeidi
    9 years ago

irun5k... yes I have noticed!

I drive through a plumie-rich neighborhood to get to my son's school (ugh used to, now he's home for the summer) and I swear I wanted to knock on doors for cuttings.

Everything, including my mature trees have been FULL blown for the last 3 months. (I gauge this by the fact the my royal gold is in full multiple inflow bloom usually by March 5 b/c that's the dad my father passed and he brought that back from Hawaii... I made him a lei that we tossed at sea with him and make him one now every year. Sad, but it's a great calendar with happy tears).

I believe I have a Jean Moragne (received a cutting years ago and not quite sure) that I'm raising seeds from that have thrown 3" red and green new stems already, but still awaiting anxiously for those coveted first blooms to see what I might have spawned.

I think it was our mild winter.... if you can call it winter here :)

Heidi

• Dave in NoVA • N. Virginia • zone 7A
    9 years ago

My Divine took a while to get established. It wanted to just put on longer growth until the root system was more established.

Once it was established and some kind of 'critical mass' was achieved, it bloomed well and branched.

One tip even branched into FIVE new tips after blooming. Amazing!

The healthier and more robust and established the plant (Divine), the more it will bloom and branch.