Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cointx

Newbie - off the deep end!

cointx
10 years ago

Hello everyone. I started "collecting" plumeria in October. Yes, I know that's not the best time of the year to start collecting, but typical of how I do things.

Needless to say I'm all in. I have over 40 rooted cuttings. 38 in 1 gallon black pots and 2 in 3 gallon pots. Yes I have totally lost my mind. I have no place to park 40 potential Volkswagen's!

I do have several questions?

What do those of you who live in the Houston Area plant your plumeria in? I've been using Lady Bug rose mix with added perlite. It seems to be working okay. All the plants were in the house until this spring and were kept on the dry side so I'm not sure how this soil will work outdoors.

What do you use to fertilize your plumeria and how often to you fertilize?

Do you do anything special when you first pot up your rooted cuttings?

Any tips, suggestions and/or information would be appreciated.

I want to say thank you to everyone who posts here. I have been lurking for a while soaking up the information and have learned a lot. This forum is one of the places I go for information. I also come here often to see the beautiful blooms.

I have the following blooming - penchang peach, duke, kauka wilder, grove farm and lucky star (which I rooted from a cutting). I had 3 cuttings and lucky star rooted while the other two didn't. It has multiple inflows and has been blooming like crazy. I got "lucky" on this one :). I know bad pun but I couldn't resist.

Comments (4)

• Dave in NoVA • N. Virginia • zone 7A
    10 years ago

All I can say is, Wow, you got bit bad. LOL!

Welcome to the club. There are many, many addicts, er, I mean growers in the Houston area. They will welcome you with open arms!

Regarding fertilizers, some use a foliar spray and spray on a regular schedule. Others use slow-release in the soil. If you use a watered in fertilizer, make sure you water your plants first, wait a few hours, then water in a diluted fert. You don't want to burn the tender roots.

• beachplant
    10 years ago

Miracle grow potting soil. I do nothing to it. Most of mine are in the ground however. Houston is full of plumeria junkies. And sellers. I use all organics - fish emulsion or organic fertilizer. I also mulch heavily around mine that are in the ground. I live in Galveston so my plants grow in sand.

A lot of people blend their own and some people in the north, where it is much cooler, like soil-less blends. I don`t suggest them for here unless you can water a few times per day in summer.

I try and get plants out of those black pots as soon as possible, they get too hot in the sun here.

We have a couple of plant swaps here, Mercer which is held fall and spring, the fall swap is Oct. 5, and Galveston county which is in spring. There are several plumeria addicts that come to both swaps. Google: "Plantmeet" for the Mercer swap and "Galveston County Plant swap" for the other. You can arrange pre-trades.

Don`t forget the Plumeria Society plant sale in Ft. Bend in July. Check the psa website, a list should be up soon.
    Tally HO!

• No-Clue
    10 years ago

Welcome Cointx!!

I think you are on the same pace as me! LOL. I started April 2012 and I'm at over 80 plants so you will fit right in. :)

• cointx
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Than you all for your response.

Tally HO - thank you for the black pot tip and all the swap info. I will try to make it to the PSA sale too! Oh what am I saying. I may need to start selling body parts if I keep buying at this pace ;). Maybe I should resist temptation. Nah!

No Clue, thank you. It's very comforting to know I am not alone. Congratulations on your collection.

Dave. Thank you. My heart sunk as I did exactly what you said not to do Saturday morning and with the heat here I hope my error was not fatal. I will keep a close eye on them. Thank you very much for this great tip. I guess I didn't research as much as I thought I did.

On my wish list: Thornton lemon drop and California Sally. I hope I can find them at the PSA sale or one of the swaps. I can't wait.

Now out to water the other plants!