Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
no_clue

JJ's Scentsational

No-Clue
11 years ago

I am surprised that not more people have this one. This is the most fragrant plumeria that I own. The flowers are huge and gorgeous... and they bloom well too.

Comments (16)

• Robert (zone 7a, Oklahoma)
    11 years ago

I'm glad to hear this coming from someone with such a huge collection! ;)

How would you describe the scent?

I scored one on eBay and am anxious to have it bloom however mine has rust so now I get to research rust fungus on plumerias. Plumeria101 suggested taking off the infected leaves and using GreenLight's 'Fung-Away'.
    I'm going to see if Neem oil will also work. :)
    So much to learn being a newbie.

-Robert

-Robert

• No-Clue
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi Robert,

Sorry to hear about rust... do you know how it got rust? Hopefully you can get it under control.

To me Scentsational smells like Jasmine. It's the only plumie that I have that I don't need to stick my nose in to be able to smell. At night when all my windows and slider door are opened I can smell it all the way in my bedroom! Or if I'm sitting outside reading I can smell it too. LOVE!

11 years ago

It came from Florida and I read that last year's mild winter is causing rust issues. I read how to mix baking soda and Neem oil together to help keep it under control. :)

Wow! Love your scent description. I'm growing them for scent and it's good to know I have a cultivar that wafts!
    Thanks for the info.

-Robert

• No-Clue
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Yep me too! Fragrance is very important to me.

Charlotte Ebert is also very strong in scent. So is my NOID (which Freak thinks is Tiger from Thailand). Tipsy and Rhonda are also very sweet smelling. I love them!

11 years ago

Ha! You're a bad influence. ;)

So far I've-
    California Sunset (love the peach coconut scent)
    Divine (so far it has a light floral scent)
    Celadine (hasn't bloomed)
    Scentsational (hasn't bloomed)
    Inca Gold (huge flowers and surprisingly a sweet scent)
    Dwarf Decidous White (hasn't bloomed)
    Phet Pachara (hasn't bloomed)
    and soon Bangkok Fire.

Fortunately I don't get attached to plants and can give them away to make room for more highly scented ones like Charlotte Ebert! I've been curious about its strong perfume like scent and you're not making it easier. :)

-Robert

• No-Clue
    Original Author
    11 years ago

LOL... so sorry Robert. But Charlotte Ebert is a must if you like strong scent. It was my most expensive plant to date... I didn't now any better so I paid $99 for 2 gal! Because I couldn't stop sniffing it! LOL...

I like Inca Gold's scent too. If you like sweet scent you should consider Rhonda . It's likes to show off a bit too. Flowers are huge and lots blooming at the same time. I love it!

11 years ago

You really aren't making my addiction easier!
    Fortunately Brad's price for Charlotte is way cheaper than $99! But it's good to know that its scent is worth that much. :)

• mksmth zone 7a Tulsa Oklahoma
    11 years ago

When i got mine last year It was towards the end of its blooming cycle so I didnt get to enjoy it too long. I do remmeber the scent was very strong. For whatever reason JJ isnt pushing it anymore. Still waiting for mine to bloom. My Delightful has pushed an inflo so thats cool

its has 4 tips now. It was a single tip with inflo this time last year

it has big floppy flowers

mike

• moonie_57 (8 NC)
    11 years ago

I'm just going to die if I don't get Charlotte Ebert soon! LOL

• Dar Sunset Zone 18
    11 years ago

Oh, look, it's one of those threads that tests my self-control. Must resist buying a Charlotte Ebert... :O

I am not having any luck finding Scentsational locally. For the past month, I've visited every Lowes and HD within a 7 mile radius and I mostly see Premium Pinks or Premium Yellow-Whites. I've only come across a total of two Premium Whites this year, one had skinnier leaves which I assume might be Ken White but this one has leaves that looks more like Scentsational, but the markings are very peculiar. I had a friend email Jon about it and he wasn't sure either.

Does anyone think this could be Scentsational? On the stem is says SW2 or SWZ and then has a W written a few inches below that.

• daogirl - SoCal Zone 9
    11 years ago

This is why we need a thread to simply decode the JJ markings on the HD plumies!

• No-Clue
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Musaboru, looking at your leaves they don't look like mine. :( Mine are darker green and much longer. Where as yours is wider and but shorter. So I would say it's not a Scentsational.

I also bought a Premium White at HD hoping it would be Scentsational... but then I couldn't wait around for it to develop an inflo so I just went to JJ and picked up a blooming Scentsational and crossed that off my Wish List.
    Patience is NOT my greatest virtue that's for sure.

Good idea Daogirl! LOL

• No-Clue
    Original Author
    11 years ago

If I have to pick btw Charlotte Ebert and Scentsational... I would go w/ Scentsational. Mine are blooming like crazy and I can smell the fragrance anywhere in my yard, kitchen or bedroom if windows are opened. I also LOVE the size of the flowers (large), the pristine white color (reminds me of Magnolia) and how well it blooms.

No matter what I'm doing when I get a whiff it makes me smile and beckons me to come out and admire its beauty. Pure love. :)

• purdee54
    11 years ago

Have a Charlotte Elbert that's at least 14 feet tall with multiple brances. The deep pink color, the 4 inch flowers and scent is very strong and sweet. It had the strongest scent in my collection....before I bought two JL Scentsational. I can smell it's flowers several feet away, not a tall grower and both plants have produced at least a hundred blooms this year and are still producing. Can't go wrong with either plant.

• moonie_57 (8 NC)
    11 years ago

The day will come when I will be after a Scentsational but for now I'm wanting Charlotte Ebert -really- bad! LOL
    I don't know why I'm so obsessed with getting one when I have ordered cuttings from other places instead of going after the CE someplace else. Anticipation maybe? :)

• slave2thefur
    11 years ago

To me, Scentsational smells just like a Stargazer lily, or maybe an Easter lily. It's marked 'FW' on the stem, for 'Fragrant White'

Sponsored
KA Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading General Contractors in Columbus