Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nativec

Jungle Jack's Open House-NEAT!

nativec
14 years ago

Well I survived the open house, I have no idea how I did it without spending my entire bank account...LOL

Okay, seriously this was so much fun. And to the testament of how die hard plumeria people are, it was drizzling most of the time and there we all were catalog and price list in hand...LOL While we did not tour the greenhouses there was a fine selection of some really great plants. I don't think I've met so many nice people in one place at one time! And as Bill mentioned Bud Guillot was there!

Some of you may relate to this but I had figured I was only going to add two more(so laughable). I ended up with Gina, Jenny, Red Hot, Firestorm and lastly Scentsational. I would have taken home Temptation and Xanadu but sadly they were only available at the Vista location. Jungle Jack's did something magical with Scentsational, the fragrance...is so luscious!

Kudos to Jungle Jack's this was great!

-Nicole

Comments (28)

• shirley91902
    14 years ago

I got there late, around two or so had to work the AM shift (ugh). Although there were plenty of plumeria left I know all you crazies were there standing in line waiting for the openhouse to open. I did manage to bring home a J105 in bloom, Inca Gold, Divine and a california Sunset to add to my collection. All were in bloom and the Divine has 5 tips with one of them ready to split into 3 tips, what a wonderful little plant.

• pharoah
    14 years ago

Nicole,
    Can you elaborate a bit on the fragrance of scentsational?? What exactly does it smell like, or is it unlike anything else?

Shirley,
    If you don't mind telling, how much did the J105 go for, and what size?? I really love that variety!

Tony

• sharlan
    14 years ago

I picked up the Scentsational twice, but put it back down. It hard to choose.

• nativec
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Shirley-You are so right I was in the car waiting to go in at 9:57a.m. LOL But right on time to see Bud walking in :o) I was coming from Beaumont so it's a bit of a trek and I hate being late to anything! Congrats on your "finds"!

Tony- I wish I could describe the fragrance. Its something between floral and fruity but so intense. It's not one where you can just compare it so say a gardenia or a rose. Very unique. I can't stop smelling it. On the hour and half drive back home the one bloom that was fully open and the other only half way, filled the car. It was plumeria intoxication! If you have not seen it, its a large white bloom with a yellow eye, huge gorgeous leaves. Another attendee compared it to Daisy Wilcox, I would have to respectfully disagree:o) but there are certainly similarities. I know white/yellow is considered "plain", but for me this one is a stunner. Just based on the fragrance I would have purchased it no matter what the bloom looked like. I'll post a pic tomorrow of it, since my camera doesn't like to load on the Mac. In case you have not guessed I'm all about the fragrance...LOL

-Nicole

• nativec
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Tony-smelled it again to try and pinpoint the fragrance. I know it's crazy. The best I can do is, coconut, gardenia, rose and grape..in that order. The name does it justice. I'd be curious to see what other folks take on it is.

• shirley91902
    14 years ago

Tony, the J105 is about 18 inches high, right now a single stalk but it has signs of branching soon. I paid $49.99 for it. I guess it was the 1 gallon size as Jack prices them.

Nicole, Congrats on your finds and also on the trek you had to make to get there. I would have loved to been there early, things were kinda sparce by the time I got there. I was close to getting the Thi Splash and the Afrique but since I do live in San Diego I know I can order from Jacks anytime. I really wanted to see the Coho, looks good in the catalog.

• plumcr8zy
    14 years ago

Hey Everyone,
    Well, I took a leisurely drive (1 1/2 hrs.) in the drizzle/rain just to look at some Plumerias in Oceanside. I guess that confirms the fact that I too am a Plumieholic. My hat goes off to Jungle Jacks. Big selection of beautiful plants and they're nice people. It was nice to see so many avid collectors in one place, and to see so many adults (I included) act like kids in a candy store (lol). Of course being a Plumieholic, I couldn't walk out empty handed. An Inca Gold, Elsie, Pele, and a Fool's Gold found a new home. I believe I'm done for the season. I need to stop "cold turkey" and use my will-power to stop buying more plants.
    Good luck with your purchases,
    Rick

• astrl
    14 years ago

Awesome! I have my eye on Firestorm, Inca Gold and Sangria, but I have yet to purchase. What a fantastic opportunity to visit the nursery.

Marsha

• pharoah
    14 years ago

That does it! I NEED scentsational immediately! A call will be placed to JJ's tomorrow.

Tony

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    14 years ago

Hello Everyone,

Ok...This is driving me crazy...I think I have a plumeria addition!!! Since I live here on the East Coast it was difficult to plan on attending JJ's open house...but if anyone knows when it will be next year, then I can make arrangements for my vacation...yes I would fly and Buy!!!
    Your stories are wonderful...Thanks for any info.....Laura

• Kimo
    14 years ago

Hey Laura,
    John of Jungle Jacks does not usually plant this far in advance, usually the open house is in June or first week of July. If you ever come to So Cal let me know and I can arrange something for you at both his nurseries.
    We had a group go to Johns place on June 4th for a plumie get together, we did his house first than we had a luncheon and than went to his Vista location.
    So you do not have to wait till next year, basically when ever you are in So cal let me know.

• nativec
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Tony-I hope you pick up Scentsational... I need another opinion since I am just over the top with this one. Keep me informed ... :-)

• nativec
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Here you go Tony...

• pharoah
    14 years ago

Nicole,
    Thanks for posting the pic. Scentsational is definitely beautiful and classic. The flowers appear to be a good size too. How big are they?

Tony

• beach4me
    14 years ago

OK, hats off to John for hosting this event so early in the season. An early calendar and June gloom weather made fragrances difficult (that's what I came for, you can't shop that online) and blossoms in less-than-optimal conditions. He has smokin' plants, very healthy and well cared for. Several great finds: Nativec and her family are great folks, and she's right, the best frangrance was indeed Scentscational, kind of a gardenia/jasmine scent. For beauty, I liked the variety Jenny.

• nativec
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Tony- I'd give the flowers roughly 3"+ depending on where you measure...LOL It's hard to really capture it in the photo but the petals are odd shapes, some long and others more ovate.

Hello Beach4me...thx for not trying to steal my catalog...LOL

• pepperonihead
    14 years ago

Heres what I got from Jungle Jacks.

Scentsational. There is definately a hint of Gardenia in there but a lot of other scents too. Great scent!!

[IMG]http://i557.photobucket.com/albums/ss12/pepperonihead/DSCF8019.jpg[/IMG]

Hearts Desire

[IMG]http://i557.photobucket.com/albums/ss12/pepperonihead/DSCF8019.jpg[/IMG]

And California Sunset.

[IMG]http://i557.photobucket.com/albums/ss12/pepperonihead/DSCF8017.jpg[/IMG]

All three

[IMG]http://i557.photobucket.com/albums/ss12/pepperonihead/DSCF8016.jpg[/IMG]

The display table.

[IMG]http://i557.photobucket.com/albums/ss12/pepperonihead/DSCF8014.jpg[/IMG]

• pepperonihead
    14 years ago

Why doesn't photo bucket work on this site like it does on all the other websites I post on?

• Kimo
    14 years ago

You have to copy and past from photo bucket using the HTML choice not IMAGE. Copy and past from the catagory HTML and it will work

• nativec
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Pep-I love the Hearts Desire...I overlooked that one. Then again I was on sensory overload, so hard to choose! Congrats on your acquisitions :o)

-Nicole

• pepperonihead
    14 years ago

OK I will try it again. Here is what I got from Jungle Jacks.
    Here goes
    Scensational

Hearts Desire

California Sunset

All three

Display table

• nativec
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Kudos Pep! You got it to work! Love the pic's...

• meyermike_1micha
    14 years ago

What the?
    How in the world do they get so many one stemmed plumies to bloom like that? No wonder you are all addicted. I would of bought that whole table if I were there.
    Unbelevable. When can I go?
    I too would fly and buy from the east coast...I can almost smell those from here.

One question though..

I thought plumies had to be mature to bloom. Those plumies on that table look very young to me. In fact I have several that look much more mature than those, and not a one of them flowered for me.. Some have 2 and three branches.. A bit confused...Maybe it's all location..
    Mine just a bunch of huge leaves..
    Does anyone have an idea?

I love this thread..:-)

• tdogdad
    14 years ago

These are right out of a very hot, very humid greenhouse. When I was there in early June there were hundreds of plants blooming in this very large hot house. They have adjusted to the outdoors ok but they are a bit weak and need to strengthen up. Bill

• nativec
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Meyer-keep an eye out on Jungle Jack's website for the open house announcement next year. I only learned about him from the great folks here.

You could purchase from him online at his website and he has an eBay store with a few varieties. On eBay he is under californiahoya. Nearly everything I have purchased has had inflo.'s or multiple branches or both! I'll paste a link to his website for you. This was my first time to go, so I don't know if he has one each year, but the more experienced folks here will know the answer to that one.

Plumeria shopping! What a great excuse for a vacation to sunny CA. Not sunny on that day but it was worth it!

Here is a link that might be useful: JJ

• Dave in NoVA • N. Virginia • zone 7A
    14 years ago

OK, so I have a question. Just how hot and just how humid are his greenhouses?? Is this considered 'ideal' conditions for growing plumerias? Also, does the temperature go down a bit in wintertime?

Thx

• erika79
    14 years ago

I've read and seen so much about Jack's plumerias I was very surprised to realize that I have bought plumerias from him at Home Depot. I got California Sunset and Fools gold both of them are beautiful no blooms yet but big green leaves although some of them are turning yellow and I've been taking them off any info on this? Are they getting acclimated? Do I leave them alone or what? any info would be greatly appreciated thanks.

• slave2thefur
    14 years ago

Most of the JJ plants I've seen at HD have been in the shade, and although many are tagged as 'Premium', they have either the name or a code written on the stem (e.g. LOR is Delightful).

They should be acclimatize to a non-greenhouse condition by now. HD does knock their plants around, so it's possible that some roots broke His soil mix is very fast draining, so they made need more water.

I spoke to John's wife at the open house, and she said that they will sell to HD if they get more orders, but unfortunately HD now has the generic colors from Hines.

The big advantage to HD is that you can return the plant if it dies w/in a year.

=^,,^= Diana

Sponsored
Designing Beautiful, Sustainable Homes in Columbus