Return to the Plumeria Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
newbie needs help

Posted by shamrockman al (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 11, 14 at 12:44

Hey thanks for all the great info y'all post on the forum. I have two questions. I have some rooted cuttings that the potting mix has slumped on. Some as much as 2 inches. I propose to add my current potting mix to fill the slump. Is this ok? My 2nd question is where are the detailed instructions on rooting in the soda bottles.

Thanking y'all in advance,
Butch

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: newbie needs help

• Posted by mksmth oklahoma 7a (My Page) on
    Thu, Jun 12, 14 at 9:22

You can add soil if you want its not a problem. However You might be better off lifting them and adding it to the bottom.

using bottles is very simple. I use regular 16-20oz bottles. cut the top off and poke a few small holes in the bottom. Set the cutting about half way down and pack the soil around it firmly to support it. Water once and put in a warm sunny spot. I will also slide the cardboard paper towel or toilet paper tube on the cutting the help with sunburn. the exposed lip of the bottle can act like a magnifying glass and burn the cutting at the base.
here is my most recent one thornton lemon drop that I rooted last month.
 photo IMG_20140605_184557953_zpstd0wtylp.jpg

mike

o

Hi Butch,

If the cuttings have been planted and rooted for quite a while, I personally would probably repot before I would add soil. If the cuttings haven't been rooted long, it may not be a good idea to mess with the roots right now. So, I would probably be inclined to just leave them as is until you can repot them.

I will say this, though. I've added soil to them before, because I just couldn't stand it, and they have been fine. But it does introduce the chance of rot if you get a rain or something.

o

Thanks mksmth and spiroan. Y'all are the greatest.

o

Thanks mksmth and spiroan. Y'all are the greatest.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumeria Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here