Return to the Plumeria Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Couple of questions... Fading flowers...

Posted by mmyers316 Oregon (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 16, 14 at 12:47

I am interested in purchasing the Donald Angus Red plumeria and the Kauka Wilder plumeria cuttings. I will be potting them indoors (Bend, OR) and have temperatures about 70 to 80 degrees. I have read that some plumerias get more vibrant in hotter weather. Is there a chance that these two plumerias will not be as bright and vibrant here? Will they be pale pink?

Also, I am interested in either the Singapore or Celadine. What would you suggest? Does one smell better than the other or is one hardier than the other?

Thank you!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Couple of questions... Fading flowers...

• Posted by mksmth oklahoma 7a (My Page) on
    Mon, Jun 16, 14 at 14:12

yes the colors of pretty much all plumeria will be lighter in a cooler climate. heat and humidity really bring in the colors.
It is plenty warm enough in your area If you can start them outside it would really be best. At least during the day when the sun is out. Just keep them out of rain until they have rooted.
Reds can be hard to root so be patient if it takes awhile.

I have celadine but not Singapore so i cant compare them against each other but can say they are both very common amongst growers for the scent. I believe Singapore is stronger in terms of distance away from the plant that you can detect it.

Good Luck
Mike

o

Thanks for your reply!

o

You're right that your colors won't be intense in your climate, and Donald Angus is not one I'd recommend for beginners. (It's nickname is Donald Anguish.) Kauka Wilder has been pretty easy going for me here in Texas but I don't know about cooler areas.

If you can find rooted plants that would be best, as we're getting a bit late in the season to start. Rooted plants will just give you a big head start towards seeing blooms.

Definitely Celadine over Singapore for your area. Singapore can be very prone to black-tip. Good luck, and let us know how it goes!

o

Thanks Jandey that's very helpful.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumeria Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here